Sony Qualia 010 Owner's Club
May 31, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #121 of 172
Thinking of buying a Qualia to replace my SR-009. How does the Qualia compare to the SR-009? I haven't seen many comparisons apart from Asr's rather scathing review of the SR-009. I suppose, judging from what I know about the Qualia, it is more detailed, clinical, better soundstage, but less bass and extremely difficult to fit (well, I have a typical Asian sized head so I suppose that helps?).

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #122 of 172
^ Er, I wouldn't call my SR-009 review "scathing" and if that's how you took it, then I clearly have to explain further. Most of the reviews I write are attempts at balanced counter-opinions (because nothing is perfect—I operate from the assumption that just about everything is subjectively flawed in some way), while "scathing" for me would be more like my review of the HiFiMan HE-400 where I had very few positive things to say about it. The SR-009 is a very good headphone by any consideration, and I was comparing it to the OII MKI, which for me was the closest ever that got to sonic perfection (but still missed the 100% mark in some key areas). If I'd compared the SR-009 to something like the HD800 on the GS-X, the review would've reflected way more positively in its favor.

I heard the Qualia balanced on a GS-X (MK1), and on that amp I found it to have 100% treble perfection—it was perfectly sharp & pristine, way more than any other headphones I heard before or since. It also had a completely open & holographic soundstage, more than even the HD800's. Relative to the SR-009, I'd call the Qualia thinner-sounding with more treble and less bass quantity, with quite a boost in the spatials as well. To that point, if there was ever a headphone practically designed for the spatial needs of ambient electronica, the Qualia would have to be it. (Global Communication was simply astounding on it.)

If you can get a small headband the fit issues would be minimized, but if you got a medium or large you can do what I call the "sponge mod" (try Google for a pic of it).

Jun 10, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #123 of 172
  Thinking of buying a Qualia to replace my SR-009. How does the Qualia compare to the SR-009? I haven't seen many comparisons apart from Asr's rather scathing review of the SR-009. I suppose, judging from what I know about the Qualia, it is more detailed, clinical, better soundstage, but less bass and extremely difficult to fit (well, I have a typical Asian sized head so I suppose that helps?).

^ Er, I wouldn't call my SR-009 review "scathing" and if that's how you took it, then I clearly have to explain further. Most of the reviews I write are attempts at balanced counter-opinions (because nothing is perfect—I operate from the assumption that just about everything is subjectively flawed in some way), while "scathing" for me would be more like my review of the HiFiMan HE-400 where I had very few positive things to say about it. The SR-009 is a very good headphone by any consideration, and I was comparing it to the OII MKI, which for me was the closest ever that got to sonic perfection (but still missed the 100% mark in some key areas). If I'd compared the SR-009 to something like the HD800 on the GS-X, the review would've reflected way more positively in its favor.

I heard the Qualia balanced on a GS-X (MK1), and on that amp I found it to have 100% treble perfection—it was perfectly sharp & pristine, way more than any other headphones I heard before or since. It also had a completely open & holographic soundstage, more than even the HD800's. Relative to the SR-009, I'd call the Qualia thinner-sounding with more treble and less bass quantity, with quite a boost in the spatials as well. To that point, if there was ever a headphone practically designed for the spatial needs of ambient electronica, the Qualia would have to be it. (Global Communication was simply astounding on it.)

If you can get a small headband the fit issues would be minimized, but if you got a medium or large you can do what I call the "sponge mod" (try Google for a pic of it).

I pretty much agree with ASR here.  The Qualia is leaner and has less meat to the sound compared to the SR009.  With the BHSE, the SR009 can be quite dynamics sounding compared to the Qualia.  The Qualia is better at the treble presentation as well as the airiness to the sound.  What I dislike a tad about the Qualia is the midrange.  I found the midrange on the Qualia to be less sweet than most top end phones and a tad recessed.  Bass is very tight and has good extension but it doesn't slam as hard as the SR009 though.  Yep, the soundstage is quite impressive for both width & depth.  The width is certainly bigger than the SR009 but depth is about the same if not slightly better.  Image is excellent.  The Qualia is at its best in balanced mode.  The GS-X MKII and my old Gilmore Reference Balanced do an excellence job with the Qualia.  Yes, a small headband is a must.  Sony should still have the small headband in stock for a mere $700.  Most importantly, the Qualia is very very fit dependent.  The sound is not desirable at all unless you get a great fit as most negative reviews are/were usually associated with bad fit.  The Qualia was designed by Sony as their SACD phones, so it loves hi-rez materials.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #124 of 172
I had the wonderful opportunity to hear all this elite gear again at purk's elite-headphone funhouse/museum (truly amazing collection!). Going from 009 to Qualia is interesting. Your biggest hurdle will be the midrange -- plainly, the Qualia's midrange will sound weird at first, like you are listening to speakers in a bad acoustic chamber. It generally doesn't stand up in direct-swap comparisons with other headphones. However, when not swapping headphones, I find that my hearing adjusts for the Qualia quite readily. A good fit also greatly (but not quite 100% totally) mitigates this. If you have a good fit and you can get over this hurdle, then you're probably going to enjoy that the Qualia can render treble like no other dynamic headphone. I'm actually not sure yet whether the 009 or Qualia is superior here -- didn't do enough comparison --- but comparing the Qualia to any other dynamic (e.g. Senn HD800) is a joke! In fact even compared to my beloved L3000, it's shocking how much more information the Qualia renders in treble (at least the L3000 doesn't make a mess of it like the HD800; it simply doesn't try as hard). Certainly, there is nothing else at the level of 009 or Qualia for treble quality and overall detail. 

I find the Qualia bass to be about perfect. Opinions vary so wildly about bass because of personal preferences towards the appropriate amount; I would say that the R10, Orpheus, non-L3000 AT woodies, and (to a lesser degree) HD800 have too little and the L3000 has a bit too much (but I like it). The JVC DX1000 has more than a bit too much (but not totally out of control, and fun for a lot of music). The Qualia is perfect. Purk -- even though I get a great fit with your Small pair (the best headband size BY FAR), when I hold the cups against my head I get that last bit of bass that achieves perfection -- at that point I do not find them to give up anything to the 009 in bass. They're certainly not lean. And while an analysis of the Qualia's individual attributes might lead one to the conclusion that they're analytical, I never get that feeling when listening to music (i.e. not just quick-swap comparisons as one might do at a meet)!

The 009 is tonally on the cool side (very slightly), and I would categorize them as slightly analytical, but there are no traces of leanness, brightness, or grain of any kind. I was struck at how flawless they were across the entire spectrum across all categories. There are no weaknesses. Overall they are very neutral. And the treble quality is immediately and significantly superior over all other headphones except the Qualia and (perhaps) the Orpheus. For many, these will be the ultimate headphone. For me, I think I would prefer the Qualia for longterm music enjoyment (and in fact, I owned them happily for a year or two, and regret selling them) -- but then I don't have nearly the experience guys like Purk or ASR do with these headphones! 

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #125 of 172
And here's a quick swipe at the HD800 :D
I abandoned headphones to pursue my "dream" 2ch speaker setup -- large Tannoys in my case. The first headphones I put on Sunday was the HD800, and my immediate impression was that I can't believe these pass as fast and highly-detailed sound reproduction. It doesn't at all stand up to quality speakers. I tried various high quality amplification, with balanced connections; only the SDS XLR made them nice (very enjoyable, even), and the Gilmore Balanced Reference also managed to make them sound good (despite a little bit of a honky peak in the treble). I didn't enjoy them out of other amplification. That SDS XLR was voiced to reinforce the bass on the R10, btw -- it was by far the best amplifier for the HD800 and R10.

The Qualia and 009, on the other hand, can stand up to extrememly high quality 2ch systems in terms of speed, detail, and extension. And the Orpheus/hev90 combo has a simply glorious midrange (among the best you can achieve with any gear), though it's somewhat lacking in bass.

Perhaps I'm still miffed at Sennheiser ripping Sony's design, and not managing to do it as well as the Qualia. 

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #126 of 172
Thanks so much for your reviews. It seems that when it comes to this level of performance, everything becomes a matter of preference. I very nearly pulled the trigger on the Qualia but I realised that the headband was "large" and was almost certain it would not fit my rather small head. By the time I realised that you could order a smaller headband, the seller already reserved the Qualia for another buyer.

I think I'll hold on to the SR009 and wait for the BHSE. I do not think the Woo WA5 is doing it justice although it is already very, very nice. I just hope that it could have a wider soundstage on some recordings. But for most listening, SR009 is king.

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #127 of 172

Asr, I do owe you an apology for misinterpreting your review. I now understand where you were coming from. 

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #128 of 172
  Thanks so much for your reviews. It seems that when it comes to this level of performance, everything becomes a matter of preference. I very nearly pulled the trigger on the Qualia but I realised that the headband was "large" and was almost certain it would not fit my rather small head. By the time I realised that you could order a smaller headband, the seller already reserved the Qualia for another buyer.

I think I'll hold on to the SR009 and wait for the BHSE. I do not think the Woo WA5 is doing it justice although it is already very, very nice. I just hope that it could have a wider soundstage on some recordings. But for most listening, SR009 is king.

I listened to the 009 on a BHSE (stocked with British Mullard EL34) and it was awesome! Plus, just about the nicest looking electronics component I've ever seen. I'm sure it will be worth the wait; these amps are underpriced.

Yeah, a large Qualia headband would be ridiculous, but I'm sure you could construct a sub-headband to fill out that space (e.g. bubble wrap, sponges in various colours, etc).

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #131 of 172
Aug 4, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #133 of 172
Does anyone know if the leather ear-pads are removable?  Working on a new headphone design and would love to better understand the construction.  

If anyone has a set for sale or a set they have shot photos of with the earpads removed please do let me know.

Best,

Will-

will@willmeeker.com

Apr 13, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #134 of 172
I apologize in advance for the thread exhumation, but I am (seriously, fully knowing how scarce and expensive these are) looking for a pair of Qualia.

Have been for years, even though I am only now in the possession of the financial means needed to fulfill my ambitions.

Feel free to shoot a line my way (also looking for L3000s, by the way) :wink:  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back