Sony Qualia 010 Owner's Club
Mar 7, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #106 of 172
Hi everybody.

I am not yet a Qualia 010 owner but I just received the SA5000 this morning, and I AM COMPLETELY IN LOVE with. Seriously. For the classic, i found the SA5000 better than the MDR CD3000 and probably as charming and exceptional as the R10, even it is a different beast.

So, the QUALIA 010 seems to be far better, so I need one. 

I saw X-Plane has the Qualia and the SA5000 and I am worried about the headband's size of the qualia. Can you (x-plane) or someone else please help me to find the right size of the Qualia for me when I say i am in the position 10 (the biggest position) for left and right on the SA5000... I suppose I need an L qualia size ?

Thanks a lot everyone and sorry for disturbing.

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #108 of 172
  Hi everybody.

I am not yet a Qualia 010 owner but I just received the SA5000 this morning, and I AM COMPLETELY IN LOVE with. Seriously. For the classic, i found the SA5000 better than the MDR CD3000 and probably as charming and exceptional as the R10, even it is a different beast.

So, the QUALIA 010 seems to be far better, so I need one. 

I saw X-Plane has the Qualia and the SA5000 and I am worried about the headband's size of the qualia. Can you (x-plane) or someone else please help me to find the right size of the Qualia for me when I say i am in the position 10 (the biggest position) for left and right on the SA5000... I suppose I need an L qualia size ?

Thanks a lot everyone and sorry for disturbing.

I highly doubt you would wear a large.  There are probably 8 people on the planet that could wear a large with proper fit.

The medium is the one you want.

I have both medium and small headbands and the medium headband is way too big for me.  Most of the people I know who have the Qualia go with the small size headband.  And "yes", the small headband fits me perfectly.  The Qualia is much better than the SA5k in my book.

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #109 of 172

I have both medium and small headbands and the medium headband is way too big for me.  Most of the people I know who have the Qualia go with the small size headband.  And "yes", the small headband fits me perfectly.  The Qualia is much better than the SA5k in my book.

I have what I believe to be a medium headband and its fit is rather loose. If you have the option go with the small size. I use a soft cloth headband (like you see in workout videos) that fits around my Q010 with just enough pressure to seat the earcups in the correct position. 

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #110 of 172
What are the most recent data points in terms of sales amounts?  It seems like these are not trading as much lately and I'm thinking about trying to start a hunt for them.  If anyone wants to PM me info instead of posting here, that would be fine as well.

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #111 of 172
  Well, Mikhail of SP Audio (yes, that mfg) made an all stainless steel headband once for around $700.  Though it allowed adjustments and perfect fit for any user but it did triple the weight of the headphones.  Remember that Qualia's frame is made entirely out of carbon fiber, and it is the lighest full-size phones ever produced.  It also ugly to boot,   I suggest any Qualia owner to get a spare headband when you have the chance as Sony is notorious for discontinuing parts after 10 years.  I personally have both a small & medium sized headband and the small is a perfect fit for me every time.  

Total raise from the dead reply, but just a note that last year, after probably at least 5 years of not using them, I discovered one of the drivers in my 010 wasn't working. 

I sent the cans back to Sony.  It took nine months (long story, but let's just say the 010 got plenty of frequent flyer miles back and forth from Texas to LA and ultimately to Japan).  Cost about $1000 or so, but I wanted them fixed.  They came back with brand new drivers and were seemingly rebuilt from scratch.  So I guess they're still servicing them, but yeah, who knows when the parts are totally gone.  Pretty happy with the repair, unfortunately not a whole lot of opportunity to listen to them so they're back in the box for now...

Best,

-Jason

Apr 12, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #112 of 172

Total raise from the dead reply, but just a note that last year, after probably at least 5 years of not using them, I discovered one of the drivers in my 010 wasn't working. 

I sent the cans back to Sony.  It took nine months (long story, but let's just say the 010 got plenty of frequent flyer miles back and forth from Texas to LA and ultimately to Japan).  Cost about $1000 or so, but I wanted them fixed.  They came back with brand new drivers and were seemingly rebuilt from scratch.  So I guess they're still servicing them, but yeah, who knows when the parts are totally gone.  Pretty happy with the repair, unfortunately not a whole lot of opportunity to listen to them so they're back in the box for now...

Best,

-Jason

Glad they were able to repair the Qualia Jason.  It took mine nearly 9 months as well but that was due to the earthquake back couple years ago.  Are you enjoying them now more than ever?  The Qualia works really well in balanced mode especially with Headamp GS-X MKII amplier.

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #113 of 172
Hey man, long time!  Yeah, I keep eyeballing the GS-X MKII.  I used to run the 010 balanced out of a Dynamight and I imagine the GS-X would be incredible.  But I'm kind of restarting from scratch (sold everything years ago) so need a balanced source first. 

Do you prefer the GS-X over the SDS-XLR?  I would have guessed the latter would have been the ultimate amp for the 010 balanced...

Coming back into the hobby it is tempting as a 010 fan to check out the HD800.  One thing I never liked about the Qualia is the pads never worked that well with glasses (so I'd only listen when wearing contacts lol).  The fluffier HD800 pads should work better, and seems at least superficially Sennheiser went in some similar directions to the 010.

Best,

-Jason

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #114 of 172
  Hey man, long time!  Yeah, I keep eyeballing the GS-X MKII.  I used to run the 010 balanced out of a Dynamight and I imagine the GS-X would be incredible.  But I'm kind of restarting from scratch (sold everything years ago) so need a balanced source first. 

Do you prefer the GS-X over the SDS-XLR?  I would have guessed the latter would have been the ultimate amp for the 010 balanced...

Coming back into the hobby it is tempting as a 010 fan to check out the HD800.  One thing I never liked about the Qualia is the pads never worked that well with glasses (so I'd only listen when wearing contacts lol).  The fluffier HD800 pads should work better, and seems at least superficially Sennheiser went in some similar directions to the 010.

Best,

-Jason

Jason,

I've not compared my GS-X MKII with the SDS-XLR but so far the GS-X MKII is quite impressive.  The MKII is a little warmer sounding than my balanced gilmore reference, so it works out nicely with the Qualia.    The GS-X MKII is also an excellent match with the HD800.  The key is drive all these phones balanced.  Still, I think the Qualia spanks the HD800 on the GS-X MKII.  Heck, better put the deposit on the GS-X MKII b/c the wait time can be awhile!   You may also want to look into getting the Stax SR009 and the Headamp BHSE as well.

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #116 of 172

I have been following @bahamaman's thread far far too closely for the health of my wallet.  :D

Well....the BHSE+SR009 is an end game rig for most people.  The SR009 is just an amazing phones.

Apr 26, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #118 of 172
I listened to the SR009 with its usual stax smr 727II amp and I didn't find the couple amazing. Just good, but bad for the price.

BUT, when I plugged the SR009 into the Orpheus Amp, it transforms literally the SR009 ! It is a really amazing couple !

Anyway, SR009 is really good in many ways but for me too heavy therefore not very confortable to wear.

Still prefer the Qualia 010 (I finally listened it, amazing) or R10 or D7000 denon (which is an real TOP headphone)

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #119 of 172
I listened to the SR009 with its usual stax smr 727II amp and I didn't find the couple amazing. Just good, but bad for the price.

BUT, when I plugged the SR009 into the Orpheus Amp, it transforms literally the SR009 ! It is a really amazing couple !

Anyway, SR009 is really good in many ways but for me too heavy therefore not very confortable to wear.

Still prefer the Qualia 010 (I finally listened it, amazing) or R10 or D7000 denon (which is an real TOP headphone)

I've heard the 007 so many times on so many different amps. Why does Stax shoot themselves in the foot by pairing their cans with such inadequate amps? Had I heard the 007 on an amp other than the Stax ones back in 2004, I probably would have gone that route instead of the 010. No doiubt they are amazing headphones.

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #120 of 172
Jason you should get the gs-x mk2 if you intend to keep the Qualia. Running them balanced on a really good amp is the key to bring out the best performance from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back