Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp
Nov 10, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #451 of 626
Well the PHA-1 just arrived. I am at work so after giving it a quick charge I gave it a go with the UM Merlin. Given the impedance hazard here I had prepared myself for a car crash, however the improvement using the PHA-1 out of an iphone 4 with the Merlins is very significant - not small at all. I have only had 20 minutes to play with this, so did some quick a/b/c'ing with one track. I used James Blake's Retrograde tune. Using the audio in (only using the amp feature not the PHA-1 DAC) there was a noticable improvement in clarity across the spectrum and bass impact - very pleased so far. Then used the LOD to USB to use both the DAC and AMP and WOW!! Lots of clarity and Retrograde sounded very ethereal - beautiful. Then took the PHA-1 out of the picture and went back to iphone 4-UM Merlin and there is a distinct loss of detail and seperation. So first impressions are very positive and thus far no negatives, so no impedance issues yet. Very glad I took the plunge on the PHA-1 and I look forward to exploring further with both the Merlin and the IE80's - as my Merlin's are about to go back for a light mod. For $370 AU delivered this looks to be very good ROI. Thanks for nudging me over the edge on this DrSheep.

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #452 of 626
Also - the above is using FLAC and Tuneshell.

Nov 20, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #456 of 626
Has anyone else used the pha-1 with low impedance iems, other than the Westone 4r which others have said in this thread sounds great - I think the 4r is 16 ohm. I am keen to pick one up as they are very cheap at the moment, and I would like a dac/amp that will work with iphone 5. Most of the competing products also have an impedance of 10ohm and are more expensive - except for the m8 (as low as 1ohm), but I cannot stretch the $ that far. I want to use the pha-1 with my ie80's (16ohm) and UM Merlins (12 ohm). I am far from a hifi expert so not sure of the degree of actual risk in buying this product to run these iem's. I am OK with taking a small risk here but if matching the hpa-1 with the ie80 and Merlin is definately going to result in a poor outcome please let me know.

thanks!

The w4r is 31 ohm.

I'm really on the fence about getting this used to use with my ip5 for about ~$280. Seems nicely priced and is compatible with the ip5.

Nov 20, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #457 of 626
i can say that 280 bucks is definitely a respectable price for the PHA1 and i would have no problem putting that money down for it!

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #458 of 626
i can say that 280 bucks is definitely a respectable price for the PHA1 and i would have no problem putting that money down for it!

Welp, I went ahead and ordered it used and picked up a v moda lightning cable as well. :) can't wait! It's gonna be my first dedicated dac/amp ever!

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #459 of 626
Welp, I went ahead and ordered it used and picked up a v moda lightning cable as well.
smily_headphones1.gif
can't wait! It's gonna be my first dedicated dac/amp ever!

Congrats.

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #461 of 626

Don't turn it up too loud when you first get it. 

Ah yeah. Thanks for the warning.

It actually just got delivered like 20 minutes ago. I was extra careful when I was first turning it on hahaha.

I immediately noticed the bass response got better. Seems like the soundstage got a little wider and taller aswell. Separation also improved - everything sounds a little more layered. I'll update my impressions after I get some hours on this :).

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #463 of 626
  hey guys
have u tried the pha-1 with hd650?
what do u think aboat the sound?
tnx

The PHA-1 is my main rig for listening to music on headphones, I can't say that the HD 650's were a bad combination but it just didn't really work for me, I bought the HD 650's after reading so many positive reviews here on Head-Fi, Not sure what to think really as I just don't have the equipment to put the HD 650's to proper testing, Once I had bought the Ultrasone Signature DJ's the HD 650's went straight back in the box.

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #464 of 626
Can anyone try this with a harder to drive phone (I'm looking at a Mad Dog/pha-1 combo, perhaps even he-400/pha-1) and post results? According to the touchmyapps review, these babies are powerful enough for the beyer 880 600ohm. Are they powerful enough for the hifiman line?

I'm also looking to some comments about a Mad Dog with PHA-1 combo. Anyone have any experience with this setup? Thanks

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #465 of 626
In the PHA-1 documentation there is this mention :
"
Digitally broadcast sound may not be output from a computer’s USB port. In this 
case, connect the AUDIO IN jack of the unit to the analog audio output of the 
computer.

"
So if I listen Grooveshark from my desktop with PHA-1 connected with USB
it will output the music using PHA-1 ?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back