Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp
Oct 17, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #437 of 626
  can i use pha 1 as pc usb dac? is it good enough compared to dacport lx? and is it worthed if i traded my dacport lx to pha 1?
(just comparing the pc usb dac sound)

Yes, and although I am not sure about the DACport, the PHA-1 is a good alternative to the AudioQuest DragonFly.

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #438 of 626
Hi,

In this thread, a few pages ago, someone asked if tbe PHA -1 worked with a rockboxed iPod classic, but i did not see the answer.. Does it?

Second, how nany mA is the battery of the PHA -1? Saw somewhere that someone modded it with a 2000mA battery...

Thanks..

rockboxed ipod classic does not work with solo-db/r, pha-1 or other iDACs. I tried it won't work. Maybe developers will add this feature in the future.

Oct 31, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #442 of 626
Nope, for that you need the PHA-2.  However, it has an analog line out so you can't completely bypass the amp either.

Nov 4, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #446 of 626
Has anyone else used the pha-1 with low impedance iems, other than the Westone 4r which others have said in this thread sounds great - I think the 4r is 16 ohm. I am keen to pick one up as they are very cheap at the moment, and I would like a dac/amp that will work with iphone 5. Most of the competing products also have an impedance of 10ohm and are more expensive - except for the m8 (as low as 1ohm), but I cannot stretch the $ that far. I want to use the pha-1 with my ie80's (16ohm) and UM Merlins (12 ohm). I am far from a hifi expert so not sure of the degree of actual risk in buying this product to run these iem's. I am OK with taking a small risk here but if matching the hpa-1 with the ie80 and Merlin is definately going to result in a poor outcome please let me know.

thanks!

Nov 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #447 of 626
Has anyone else used the pha-1 with low impedance iems, other than the Westone 4r which others have said in this thread sounds great - I think the 4r is 16 ohm. I am keen to pick one up as they are very cheap at the moment, and I would like a dac/amp that will work with iphone 5. Most of the competing products also have an impedance of 10ohm and are more expensive - except for the m8 (as low as 1ohm), but I cannot stretch the $ that far. I want to use the pha-1 with my ie80's (16ohm) and UM Merlins (12 ohm). I am far from a hifi expert so not sure of the degree of actual risk in buying this product to run these iem's. I am OK with taking a small risk here but if matching the hpa-1 with the ie80 and Merlin is definately going to result in a poor outcome please let me know.

thanks!

That's what I am thinking too, but I think you should get the PHA-1 regardless.

Nov 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #448 of 626
I pulled the trigger. Let's see how this plays out.

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #449 of 626
Nov 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #450 of 626
after having these for about a month... i feel like the sound out of an ipod is actually better than straight from a computer. Is that just me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back