Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp
Jan 14, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #183 of 626
Quote:
same as the fostex hp_p1 (which i am going to sell) , not as high as the recent
Iriver ak100 dap at 20ohms or so.

But i have the centrance hifim8 on pre-order so everything works out in the end.

Me too, my brother 
beerchug.gif

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #184 of 626
Quote:
Quote:
There isn't a chance that the DAC in this can stand up to the one in the HP-P1.

However, the amp might be better, only because the HP-P1 has an atrociously high output impedance.

Is 10.22 atrociously high?

Yes, it is. You want as close to 0 as physically possible. High output impedances mess with the headphones.

Jan 14, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #186 of 626
At the time of posting, I was under the impression one of the cables go into the PHA-1 via. 'Digital In' port. I have now confirmed there are 4 cables (just like some one else posted) and only the cable for apple products go into this port. Also a computer can be connected to the Digital In port with a separate USB cable.

Quote:
Probably a line out. A line out is a constant volume signal that skips amplification and is therefore preferable to the headphone jack of a given player. However, a line out is still analog because it is sending a signal that is already converted form digital, it is just not amplified. 

The chain inside a player goes like this, generally speaking:
Song>DAC>"Line Out Signal" >Amplifier> headphone jack.

Gross oversimplification, but a good way to understand the process. A line out feeds a signal before it is amped. Many line out cables are sold for the iOS devices, for example. They theoretically improve upon the headphone jack by skipping the amplifier section, but they are analog insofar as that line signal has already been converted into analog by the DAC.  A true digital out would send only ones and zeros to a DAC for processing. 

I think it will only give an 'oomph' to the music in the bass department.
Quote:
apple is the only which can by pass the internal DAC. So if you use the PHA-1 with sony product it will only by pass the amp section of the DAP and nothing else.(Well that is my understanding of it)

Yep, thats right!
Quote:
It's analogue because the cable you refer to is terminated in a 3.5mm jack which plugs into the 'audio in' socket on the PHA-1.

There should be some reason why they would also provide a walkman jack to be used. My understanding from Japanese forums is quite difficult with the online translators. But one of the forums did mention that sound was good when this was paired with the Z.

I'm really interested in this device. And it maybe taken off the shelves soon just like the Z/A walkmans.
Quote:
somebody mentioned that the DAC might be the same in the pda-1 and the walkman line. which defeats the purpose of the pha-1

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #188 of 626
Quote:

Quote:
apple is the only which can by pass the internal DAC. So if you use the PHA-1 with sony product it will only by pass the amp section of the DAP and nothing else.(Well that is my understanding of it)

Yep, thats right!

Excuse me, AUDIOBREEDER. I am a noob for head-fi. 
frown.gif

I have chance to tryout PHA-1, using iPod touch 3 as a source (through dock to USB cable).
However, I tried if I changed the EQ settings under "Music" section, the sounds changes.

Does it mean PHA-1 is not operating at DAC mode?
Will the same thing happen to HP-P1?
I believe EQ settings should have no effects if iPod touch is really sending digital signal to PHA-1 in such case.

Please help clear up the question in my mind. 
frown.gif

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #189 of 626
Quote:
Excuse me, AUDIOBREEDER. I am a noob for head-fi. 
frown.gif

I have chance to tryout PHA-1, using iPod touch 3 as a source (through dock to USB cable).
However, I tried if I changed the EQ settings under "Music" section, the sounds changes.

Does it mean PHA-1 is not operating at DAC mode?
Will the same thing happen to HP-P1?
I believe EQ settings should have no effects if iPod touch is really sending digital signal to PHA-1 in such case.

Please help clear up the question in my mind. 
frown.gif

Basically, you are bypassing the dac of the ipod touch to the pha-1.
ie. The dac converts the audio from a digital signal to an analog one and this goes to the amplifier to your iem/headphone.

Putting the volume on near maximum on the mp3 player & gradually increasing the volume on the amp, is what I hear is the safest thing to do not only for the amp but also for your EARS!

Equalizing via. the ipod touch will give you better benefits. Equalizer will still work even though you have bypassed the dac,

I dont have the pha-1 yet in my hands. Its on its way. I got it at a great price (under $350) so I couldn't pass it off.

Can you tell me, if you noticed any major change in sound quality when you used it with the ipod touch?
I will be using mine with the Z walkman and hope it pairs well .

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #191 of 626
Quote:
'The eagle has landed'

The amp has traveled roughly 6752 miles in 4 days and has safely reached my door!
It was a nail biting experience thinking it would be lost en route.

congratulations man!:)
This probably would've been my first dac/amp... but I'm too hellovapoor to buy it 
biggrin.gif

Sexiest portable piece of equipment I've seen.

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #193 of 626
This is my third dac/amp. I haven't had the chance to listen to it yet, but man to think it traveled so far and to arrive in such a pristine condition is what appalls me more (than the amp).
First impressions (from sight),
1. This thing is really small (looking at pics on the internet it looked really big). Its maybe the size of your palm or bit smaller.
2. The weight of this is just about right (not too heavy nor too light)
3. The look: Its looks like one of those die cast cars (without the wheels). Sexy as hell. The volume knob is well protected. It turns smoothly.

That's it for now. I haven't had the chance to hear how it sounds, but it going to compete with my Audioengine D1.
Quote:
congratulations man!:)
This probably would've been my first dac/amp... but I'm too hellovapoor to buy it 
biggrin.gif

Sexiest portable piece of equipment I've seen.

Quote:
Can't wait for your impressions sir! :D

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #194 of 626
Quote:
Basically, you are bypassing the dac of the ipod touch to the pha-1.
ie. The dac converts the audio from a digital signal to an analog one and this goes to the amplifier to your iem/headphone.

Putting the volume on near maximum on the mp3 player & gradually increasing the volume on the amp, is what I hear is the safest thing to do not only for the amp but also for your EARS!

Equalizing via. the ipod touch will give you better benefits. Equalizer will still work even though you have bypassed the dac,

I dont have the pha-1 yet in my hands. Its on its way. I got it at a great price (under $350) so I couldn't pass it off.

Can you tell me, if you noticed any major change in sound quality when you used it with the ipod touch?
I will be using mine with the Z walkman and hope it pairs well .

Thanks for telling me that iPod EQ still works even handing off DAC tasks to Sony PHA-1.
I am using UE 900 for IEM, PHA-1 is quite clean when pairing with this and sadly I could not figure out much difference from using the phone out. 
frown.gif

I also tried to pair with MDR-1R and it sounds much better.
Hope it will work well with your earphone. 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back