Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Sep 27, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #241 of 7,711
  Looks like the same as previous walkmans, where you connect a WM port cable to it as the line out....you can get them from ebay etc:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Walkman-MP3-Player-Line-Out-LOD-Interconnect-Cable-To-Headphone-Amplifier-/281103899579?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4173191bbb
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOD-Sony-Walkman-MP3-Player-Line-out-Dock-To-3-5mm-Plug-/170683121052?pt=US_MP3_Player_Chargers_Cradles&hash=item27bd81bd9c

I have those 2 and it seems to work pretty well.  There doesn't seem to be a dedicated line out port though.

Hold on.  I read some where that the it may have a digital out.  If it is through the WM Port then it may require a different cable.  Not sure though but that cable should work with the F88x walkman.

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #242 of 7,711

Hold on.  I read some where that the it may have a digital out.  If it is through the WM Port then it may require a different cable.  Not sure though but that cable should work with the F88x walkman.

5. デジタル出力に対応
WM-PORTからのオーディオ出力として新たにデジタル出力にも対応しました。さらに、ソニー製のポータブルヘッドホンアンプ『PHA-2』に対して、音楽コンテンツを音質劣化なくデジタル出力することができるようになりました。

The jp press stated that both ZX1 and F880 series support digital out via WM-port, and even recommended their PHA-2...

入出力端子ヘッドホン端子ステレオミニ
パソコンとの接続/本体端子の形状Hi-Speed USB/WM-PORT

付属品 [NW-ZX1/F887/F886/F885共通]
USBケーブル

And it seems that the digital out is via the bundled WM-port to USB cable...

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #243 of 7,711
Thanks seems like I missed that.  Looks like it'd be a Digital Out via USB Audio since they say it'd be connected to the PHA-2......I guess that's kind of cool, would appreciate a line out more though personally as I have too many transports already and I think something like a DX50 is a much more flexible transport with coaxial/optical.

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #244 of 7,711
  Thanks seems like I missed that.  Looks like it'd be a Digital Out via USB Audio since they say it'd be connected to the PHA-2......I guess that's kind of cool, would appreciate a line out more though personally as I have too many transports already and I think something like a DX50 is a much more flexible transport with coaxial/optical.

This isn't the PCM-Dxx recorder :) USB connectivity makes it easier to interface with other devices (car stereos, etc.). Considering WMport has always just been analog line out only, it's a big change.

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #247 of 7,711
a 760usd digital transport with no expandable memory is not appealing at all...

for this amount of money, I would expect no need for external DAC nor AMP..

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #248 of 7,711
I think it's just typical USB feature you can find on most android phones. Since android supports USB DACs, paring ZX1 with PHA2 makes perfect sense. It's not as convenient as spdif though.

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #249 of 7,711
  a 760usd digital transport with no expandable memory is not appealing at all...

for this amount of money, I would expect no need for external DAC nor AMP..

It probably won't need additional amp for easy to drive phones or IEMs.  The S-Master module is very compacted and powerful for its size and the ZX1 will get a more potent version so we should be good here.  Of course, I only intend to use CIEMs with the ZX1 so I'm not too concern about plugging in Orthos or HD800 into the ZX1.  If you expect desktop performance from a highend portable DAPs then it is still a long shot.  Even the iBasso DX100 that I used to have failed to compete with my old but trusty PPA amplifier or Pico Power for that matter.  Remember the ZX1 is fairly priced next to both the AK100 & AK120 and even the Hifiman 901.

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #250 of 7,711

It probably won't need additional amp for easy to drive phones or IEMs.  The S-Master module is very compacted and powerful for its size and the ZX1 will get a more potent version so we should be good here.  Of course, I only intend to use CIEMs with the ZX1 so I'm not too concern about plugging in Orthos or HD800 into the ZX1.  If you expect desktop performance from a highend portable DAPs then it is still a long shot.  Even the iBasso DX100 that I used to have failed to compete with my old but trusty PPA amplifier or Pico Power for that matter.  Remember the ZX1 is fairly priced next to both the AK100 & AK120 and even the Hifiman 901.

Since it's upgraded, I would bet it will now be able to drive something like the B&O H6 which my F807 couldn't really do. It's the only set of cans I've heard in recent memory it just couldn't do much with.

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #251 of 7,711
  I think it's just typical USB feature you can find on most android phones. Since android supports USB DACs, paring ZX1 with PHA2 makes perfect sense. It's not as convenient as spdif though.

I genuinely wish to know the rationale of buying PHA2 in addition to this...thats a lot of money

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #253 of 7,711
 Remember the ZX1 is fairly priced next to both the AK100 & AK120 and even the Hifiman 901.

Agree... If I get this, I would only use it with iem...a pretty good excuse for a weekend trip to Tokyo in Dec...

I hope that it will sound better than my 901...

OT: a really non-audiophile question, can I install Candy Crush on this?

Sep 27, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #254 of 7,711

Since it's upgraded, I would bet it will now be able to drive something like the B&O H6 which my F807 couldn't really do. It's the only set of cans I've heard in recent memory it just couldn't do much with.

I hope it will be able to do that but again we are still limited by space.  The ZX1 with my Qualia 010 will just be great together.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back