Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Nov 28, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #6,541 of 7,711
Probably a stupid question, but can I use the WMC-NWH10 cable to connect a USB stick to ZX1 for extra storage? Is it even possible?
Thanks. 

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #6,543 of 7,711
Probably a stupid question, but can I use the WMC-NWH10 cable to connect a USB stick to ZX1 for extra storage? Is it even possible?
Thanks. 

I don't think the ZX1 supports USB-host. I haven't found any WMPort to USB-female connector, anyway.

IMO, it is much more challenging for DAP or any audio gears in general to portray soundstage & statiality with "stronger sensation of three-dimensionalism". BTW, I listen to flat with no EQ on and the ZX1 is really good in stock form.

This is true. I appreciate the ZX1 more, overall, though it might just be placebo from the fact it cost that much more. (I'm contradicting myself right)
I find its sound more "effortless", but mostly the biggest difference I feel is that the ZX1 feels more has more "forward, backward, up and down" as opposed to the F806 being more "left, right". That's the best way I can explain it.
It's great to listen to even without DSP, and I find more so than the F806 (i.e. when both are flat). I just have a natural preference for enhancing treble, regardless of source device or headphones/earphones.

Anyway, I let my ATH-m50s go at both. I can immediately say the ZX1 drives it louder at any volume level and tops out significantly higher - the difference gets wider as the Master level rises.

Another thing for today; here's a size up.

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #6,544 of 7,711

I have the Z1070 and thought that the bass output is a bit over done.  The ZX1 is better and more refined sounding to my ears, so I do like it better.  The ZX1 is also a lot more polished in term of design & speed compared to the Z series.  Even the F807 is snappier compared to the Z1070.  The Z1070's real advantage over others walkmen are a bigger screen and HDMI output.  
Yes, hi-rez is a real deal in my opinion as well.  This is likely due to much higher quality control during remastering though.  I'm a big supporter of SACD/DVD-A and really enjoy hi-rez PCMs & DSDs as well.

Hi Purk,
Thank you very much for the comparison. More refined sound and the 128GB storage is definitely a plus. I will just wait a bit more until its price goes down (if it does) or Sony releases something better. For the moment II'll stick with my Z1070 I guess. 

Cheers. 

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #6,547 of 7,711
Has anyone tested this with spotify on android and confirmed it works smoothly for streaming and songs can be downloaded direct to the unit? The Sony store staff knew nothing about this function, if it worked or not.

And how much better is the sq than on the A17? I just paid $300 for a17 and the z1 looks good, but more than double the price. I still have two weeks to try out the a17.

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #6,548 of 7,711
Has anyone tested this with spotify on android and comfirmed it works smoothly for streaming and songs can be downloaded direct to the unit? The Sony store staff knew nothing about this function, if it worked or not.

And how much better is the sq than on the A17? I just paid $300 for a17 and the z1 looks good, but more than double the price. I still have two weeks to try out the a17.

Check the A17 thread for some of my posts.  If the sound quality is number one priority as well as be able to use apps, then the ZX1 is a better choice.  The A17 gives up noticeable amount in sonic department (similar tonality but less powerful sound) but has much better battery life, storage, and size.  If you can find a used ZX1, then it might be your best bet.  I personally have both the A17 & ZX1 and I love them both.  Sound wise, the ZX1 takes the cake but the A17 has so much to offer with the reasons mentioned above.

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #6,549 of 7,711
Has anyone tested this with spotify on android and confirmed it works smoothly for streaming and songs can be downloaded direct to the unit? The Sony store staff knew nothing about this function, if it worked or not.

this is re your question on Spotify - I just got the unit (mainly for Spotify) and I can confirm both streaming and downloading via Spotify works. Just as it does on Android smartphones. Actually this is the main reason why I purchase the Sony instead of the AK players...

Cant comment about relative SQ performance as I'm really new to the scene :)  But loving this sweet little device.

EDITED to fix typos

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #6,550 of 7,711
Check the A17 thread for some of my posts.  If the sound quality is number one priority as well as be able to use apps, then the ZX1 is a better choice.  The A17 gives up noticeable amount in sonic department (similar tonality but less powerful sound) but has much better battery life, storage, and size.  If you can find a used ZX1, then it might be your best bet.  I personally have both the A17 & ZX1 and I love them both.  Sound wise, the ZX1 takes the cake but the A17 has so much to offer with the reasons mentioned above.

I love the a17 for the size and battery, and UI. All superior to my fiio x5. SQ not the same but for size and portability trade off, maybe worth it. Using 'Clear audio' does enhance sound a bit, not as dry. Don't know exactly what clear audio is doing to the source.

Testing now on beyer dynamic t 90's which run fine on the A17. shocked by this. But my ideal player would allow some spotify streaming as well, since I have a paid account, but is it worth $350 more for it and the extra Sq? :rolleyes::triportsad:

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #6,551 of 7,711
I love the a17 for the size and battery, and UI. All superior to my fiio x5. SQ not the same but for size and portability trade off, maybe worth it. Using 'Clear audio' does enhance sound a bit, not as dry. Don't know exactly what clear audio is doing to the source.

Testing now on beyer dynamic t 90's which run fine on the A17. shocked by this. But my ideal player would allow some spotify streaming as well, since I have a paid account, but is it worth $350 more for it and the extra Sq?
rolleyes.gif
triportsad.gif

Glad that you have the X5 b/c I have the X5 as well.  The ZX1 is about on par if not very slightly better than the X5 sound quality wise (via my JH13pro).  I would give higher marks to the X5 for full size phones however.  The X5 bass is even deeper and has more texture than that of the ZX1.  The ZX1 put slightly more emphasis on clarity though with more "upfront" presentation.  Some times I do feel that the X5 is too laid back.. 

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #6,552 of 7,711
Did you knew that there is a special gundam version from the ZX1. Probably no effect on the sound. The ZX1 is an anniversary edition. This means the anniversary edition has an special edition :)

http://store.sony.jp/Special/Audio/Walkman/Gundam/2014/

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #6,554 of 7,711
Does it work with lossless files like flac? I have a xperia z1 and this feature only works with mp3s.

It does indeed work with flac files, I think it works rather well too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back