Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Nov 26, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #6,529 of 7,711
Hi,
I'm sure this has been done many times, but I need a comparison to make a decision whether to replace my NW-Z1070 wit the ZX1.
Can any of you guys help? Is the XZ1 an improvement as far as the sound quality goes? The very fact that Sony plastered "Hi Res Audio" on the device makes me feel like I would be buying snake oil.

Thanks,

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #6,530 of 7,711
I'm not familiar with the other unit I mentioned. But, I will say the hi res audio support is the real thing. I had a lot of hi res files that I couldn't play on my iPods. The ZX1 plays them beautifully in addition to everything my iPods played.

In fact, I'm getting better sound out of the ZX1 standalone with my IEMs playing hi res files than I did out of my iOS units running an external D/A converter and amp.

Nov 27, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #6,531 of 7,711
  Hi,
I'm sure this has been done many times, but I need a comparison to make a decision whether to replace my NW-Z1070 wit the ZX1.
Can any of you guys help? Is the XZ1 an improvement as far as the sound quality goes? The very fact that Sony plastered "Hi Res Audio" on the device makes me feel like I would be buying snake oil.

Thanks,

I have the Z1070 and thought that the bass output is a bit over done.  The ZX1 is better and more refined sounding to my ears, so I do like it better.  The ZX1 is also a lot more polished in term of design & speed compared to the Z series.  Even the F807 is snappier compared to the Z1070.  The Z1070's real advantage over others walkmen are a bigger screen and HDMI output.  
I'm not familiar with the other unit I mentioned. But, I will say the hi res audio support is the real thing. I had a lot of hi res files that I couldn't play on my iPods. The ZX1 plays them beautifully in addition to everything my iPods played.

In fact, I'm getting better sound out of the ZX1 standalone with my IEMs playing hi res files than I did out of my iOS units running an external D/A converter and amp.

Yes, hi-rez is a real deal in my opinion as well.  This is likely due to much higher quality control during remastering though.  I'm a big supporter of SACD/DVD-A and really enjoy hi-rez PCMs & DSDs as well.

Nov 27, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #6,532 of 7,711
Has anyone compared the ZX1 and the FiiO X5? I have read one review on here but it didn't really get into the details of what the differences were. I have both the ZX1 and the X5 and am struggling to decide which one to keep! I have tried Westone W4r, Dunu DN-19 and Sony XBA-4s. Would love to hear anyone else's views on the two DAPs.......

Nov 27, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #6,533 of 7,711
  Has anyone compared the ZX1 and the FiiO X5? I have read one review on here but it didn't really get into the details of what the differences were. I have both the ZX1 and the X5 and am struggling to decide which one to keep! I have tried Westone W4r, Dunu DN-19 and Sony XBA-4s. Would love to hear anyone else's views on the two DAPs.......

You should trust YOUR ears - because in the end it`s you who keeps it! 
smily_headphones1.gif
 What do you think so far? It you think it`s not so much of a difference, I would also think about the user interface....

Nov 27, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #6,534 of 7,711
Hi. A quick question, if connect the zx 1 to my hifi m8 using wmc-nwh10 to use the m8 as a dac, can I use the stock player or must I use USB audio recorder? Thanks!

I have the very same question here. I am thinking to connect zx1 to a iDSD micro using wmc-nwh10. But I am not sure if the stock player would work or I need to use something like usb audio player pro. BTW, I read somewhere in this thread that mentioned zx1 is not compatible with Usb audio player pro...... That's a bad news. 

Anyway, my question is: has anyone successfully connected ZX1 to an external dac/amp other than pha2/3 using wmc-nwh10? If so, which player you use on the zx1? 

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #6,537 of 7,711
Nov 28, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #6,538 of 7,711
  I connect my ZX1 to the Hugo using the WMC-NWH10 cable and use the stock player only, hth.

WMC-NWH10: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=WMC-NWH10&_sop=15

I do the same but the big problem is the battery drain on the ZX1 using the external DAC.
I end up using the line out and just an external amp, the new E12 special edition.

I use my AK240 with the Hugo as it  gives slightly longer listening time.
All credit to the ZX1 and the E12A they are not embarrassed in comparison with the Hugo and AK240 at a cost differential of over 3,000 pounds.

Nov 28, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #6,539 of 7,711

I do the same but the big problem is the battery drain on the ZX1 using the external DAC.
I end up using the line out and just an external amp, the new E12 special edition.

I use my AK240 with the Hugo as it  gives slightly longer listening time.
All credit to the ZX1 and the E12A they are not embarrassed in comparison with the Hugo and AK240 at a cost differential of over 3,000 pounds.

I used to have a E12 paired with my Z1070 nice combo... I'm not a lover of AK gear, I personally thought my WM-Z was easily on par with the AK120 if not better, the ZX1 is a step-up from the WM-Z (as Purk rightly points out in his previous post), so I suspect the ZX1 is probably on par with the AK240 performance wise using IEM's. Cost wise it's no brainer as I think the AK240 is well over priced, I won't comment on the crap design.

I tend to use my ZX1 on it's own for about half the time tending only to plug it into the Hugo at home or for longer trips into London etc., I get about 5.5hours use with the Hugo which is ok by me as I tend to take the Walkman USB lead with me for charging.

In the UK the Hugo is more or less half the price of the AK240 and out performs it by reading these forums, any DAP will perform well the Hugo as all your using it for is a source so will have no impact soundwise, you might hear some differences using different file-types but I am more than happy using red-book lossless (Atrac & WAV), at the end of the day it's all swings & roundabouts and it's what you prefer personally is what matters.

I've had the ZX1 for just on a year now, this time last year I was getting real excited about receiving it, a year on I still marvel at the design and those tactile buttons are a masterclass in design simplicity... love my ZX1, damn right...
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back