Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Oct 17, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #6,391 of 7,711
Supposedly Sony is considering such an option, but are running into engineering difficulties with the implementation of S-master audio chips in a smartphone.

The main reasons cited are to do with complications around heat dissipation and power consumption. However, he (Wang Guoxiong, deputy director of Sony China's audio marketing department) offered hope, by suggesting that Sony is studying the feasibility of introducing the chip in an Xperia smartphone at some point down the road.

Source:
http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/12/02/sonys-s-master-audio-chip-not-heading-to-an-xperia-any-time-soon/

Chinese Source:
http://www.evolife.cn/html/2013/74051.html

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #6,392 of 7,711
  Are you taking about the S-Master and battery life or the sound in particular?

Sound,,,,battery life is ok.
Even 10 hours is fine,charge it everyday,no big deal unless u travel a lot.

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #6,393 of 7,711
  Supposedly Sony is considering such an option, but are running into engineering difficulties with the implementation of S-master audio chips in a smartphone.

Source:
http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/12/02/sonys-s-master-audio-chip-not-heading-to-an-xperia-any-time-soon/

Chinese Source:
http://www.evolife.cn/html/2013/74051.html

Ok is s-master a seperate chip??
As it clearly states s-master digital amp.

Anyone?

Oct 18, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #6,394 of 7,711
I second this. I loved my zx1, UI was great, Unit was sexy, but amp section is too weak, and it was not near as fun to listen to as my X3...ive yet to hear the X5 yet, but everything fiio I've had has been enjoyable to say the least. if you don't listen at higher volumes and don't mind bass that is a bit lacking, it's a great device. SQ is very high, just not much "fun" to me.

That being said, there are some incredible deals in the used section for zx1's right now.

I am shying away from the X5 due to the UI as I am using my xperia z1 hooked up to a RS Predator for music at the moment. So am used to and really like the android interface.  Will be auditioning the ZX1 soon and will see if the shop also as an X5 to try out.  Has anyone used the ZX1 with a RS Predator, and what were the results? 

Oct 18, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #6,395 of 7,711
I have only ONE complaint about my ZX-1. Transferring FLAC and DSD files to it is so very slow. If only Sony can sort that out through a (I don't know) firmware update or whatever. It is the ONE reason I'd sell my ZX-1.

To alleviate that to some degree, I stream FLAC files to it using a Seagate wireless HDD, but that has its occasional stutters, dropped wifi connections, and so on. It's a workaround. Till Sony does something.

Oct 18, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #6,396 of 7,711
I have only ONE complaint about my ZX-1. Transferring FLAC and DSD files to it is so very slow. If only Sony can sort that out through a (I don't know) firmware update or whatever. It is the ONE reason I'd sell my ZX-1.

To alleviate that to some degree, I stream FLAC files to it using a Seagate wireless HDD, but that has its occasional stutters, dropped wifi connections, and so on. It's a workaround. Till Sony does something.

u mean streaming is faster than the wire in this case??
blink.gif
confused_face(1).gif
mad.gif
confused.gif
eek.gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #6,397 of 7,711
u mean streaming is faster than the wire in this case??:blink: :confused_face(1): :mad: :confused: :eek:
No what I mean is because it takes a long time to transfer files to the ZX1, I put some albums on my wireless HDD to stream from and live with the occasional stutters etc. I have 4 TB of high Rez files. Half live on the wireless and a max of 120 GB is on the ZX1 for on the go use without the wireless HDD

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #6,398 of 7,711
i just want sony ui and build quality with internals like these...............

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #6,399 of 7,711
 I am shying away from the X5 due to the UI as I am using my xperia z1 hooked up to a RS Predator for music at the moment. So am used to and really like the android interface.  Will be auditioning the ZX1 soon and will see if the shop also as an X5 to try out.  Has anyone used the ZX1 with a RS Predator, and what were the results? 

I paired it with my RSA Intruder, sounded very good. UI is very nice on the zx1, night and day difference between that and Fiio. Also I stacked it with the PHA2, sounded very nice as well, but was a bit bigger and heavier for my tastes for on the go.

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #6,400 of 7,711
I paired it with my RSA Intruder, sounded very good. UI is very nice on the zx1, night and day difference between that and Fiio. Also I stacked it with the PHA2, sounded very nice as well, but was a bit bigger and heavier for my tastes for on the go.

There is only 1 solution to fiio.....................rockbox

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #6,402 of 7,711
I've never used RB. I always see people raving about it.

Its not very awesome against something like poweramp/sony walkman app or iriver's ui but itcan match all those in terms of functionality.
And its probably many times better than fiio ui

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #6,404 of 7,711

Sound,,,,battery life is ok.
Even 10 hours is fine,charge it everyday,no big deal unless u travel a lot.

Battery life is actually one strong points with the S-Master chips. Walkman DAPs that feature the S-Master HX—the most current portable variant of the chip—have at least 15 hours of playback. This is a conservative estimate too.

The A10 Walkman; another S-Master HX Walkman is being quoted by users of having battery life in the 25-30 hour region.

Ok is s-master a seperate chip??
As it clearly states s-master digital amp.

Anyone?

Yes it is a discrete chip that simplifies the digital to analogue and amplification process within a single chip. The S-Master chip bypasses the need for separate DAC and OPAMP chips. Thus reducing the number of components needed for a complete audio circuit. The main advantage is smaller PCB size and thus smaller devices.

S-Master_More1.jpg

i just want sony ui and build quality with internals like these...............

A DAC and amp is designed like the above example doesn't guarantee better sonic performance, nor does using 'quality' components ensure that too. That's like discounting the virtues of designing a vacuum tube circuit over a solid-state design and vice-versa. Arguably not all DACs that use the ESS9018 chip sound the same there have been reports that some better than others. 

There's a lot more to an audio product than just the sum of it's parts list, class, and it's specs.

Sound 'quality' is a subjective point so I won't use it claim that using an integrated DAC/ amp chip like the S-Master will always better than the alternatives or the other way round.

There are some users who describe the sound of the ZX1 being on par with the AK120:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680853/sony-nwz-zx1-35th-walkman-anniversary-model/1560#post_10052594

and there are others who describe it as only as good as an iPhone 5s:

http://www.lachlanlikesathing.com/2014/06/sony-nwz-zx1-vs-iphone-5s-measurements.html

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #6,405 of 7,711
  Battery life is actually one strong points with the S-Master chips. Walkman DAPs that feature the S-Master HX—the most current portable variant of the chip—have at least 15 hours of playback. This is a conservative estimate too.

The A10 Walkman; another S-Master HX Walkman is being quoted by users of having battery life in the 25-30 hour region.

Yes it is a discrete chip that simplifies the digital to analogue and amplification process within a single chip. The S-Master chip bypasses the need for separate DAC and OPAMP chips. Thus reducing the number of components needed for a complete audio circuit. The main advantage is smaller PCB size and thus smaller devices.

S-Master_More1.jpg

A DAC and amp is designed like the above example doesn't guarantee better sonic performance, nor does using 'quality' components ensure that too. That's like discounting the virtues of designing a vacuum tube circuit over a solid-state design and vice-versa. Arguably not all DACs that use the ESS9018 chip sound the same there have been reports that some better than others. 

There's a lot more to an audio product than just the sum of it's parts list, class, and it's specs.

Sound 'quality' is a subjective point so I won't use it claim that using an integrated DAC/ amp chip like the S-Master will always better than the alternatives or the other way round.

There are some users who describe the sound of the ZX1 being on par with the AK120:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680853/sony-nwz-zx1-35th-walkman-anniversary-model/1560#post_10052594

and there are others who describe it as only as good as an iPhone 5s:

http://www.lachlanlikesathing.com/2014/06/sony-nwz-zx1-vs-iphone-5s-measurements.html

The above is colorfly c4 chip with published details of jitter <5 pico seconds and s/n>108
The walkman on the other hand mentions nothing ,,,u know why??

Because it uses a  dac and a digital amp that fails to amp up the signal to power anything bigger than an iem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back