Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jun 8, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #5,536 of 7,711
Too be honest i haven't heard the iphone S5 yet but i just can't believe it is as good as the ZX1 which is a dedicated player and the S5 is a smartphone.
It can't be possible that the amplifier of the S5 is on pair with the ZX1.
I have a nexus 5 and the difference between my ZX1 and the nexus is just so big a deaf men would hear the difference.

But as long as it sounds good to you that's what's important i guess.

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #5,537 of 7,711
I'm actually not trying to say it sounds better. I think they both sound very good. They actually sound more or less identical to me once volume matched within 1db. It's just that the ZX1 produces more hiss and just seems less 'black' in background. I'd be happy with either but don't really see the point in owning both.

Anyways no point in beating a dead horse but I do recommend people try comparing the players volume matched if they get the chance.

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #5,538 of 7,711

Noise? Hiss? And they don't bother you? It sure would bother me. Fail.

Just to clarify, have you actually heard the ZX1 ? Hiss is an ongoing issue with many sensitive IEMs and I dont recall a single DAP thread where someone hasnt complained about hissing, but I've had no problems with either my Shure or Yamaha in-ears. Both are universals and neither is particularly sensitive. 

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #5,539 of 7,711

Just to clarify, have you actually heard the ZX1 ? Hiss is an ongoing issue with many sensitive IEMs and I dont recall a single DAP thread where someone hasnt complained about hissing, but I've had no problems with either my Shure or Yamaha in-ears. Both are universals and neither is particularly sensitive. 

Once again another hissy Sony product.  They either have too high of a gain or the amp section noise rejection sucks.  What SPL are you getting hissing from?  I'm sure BA will get hiss.  Oh well.. 

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #5,540 of 7,711
  Too be honest i haven't heard the iphone S5 yet but i just can't believe it is as good as the ZX1 which is a dedicated player and the S5 is a smartphone.
It can't be possible that the amplifier of the S5 is on pair with the ZX1.
I have a nexus 5 and the difference between my ZX1 and the nexus is just so big a deaf men would hear the difference.

But as long as it sounds good to you that's what's important i guess.

Volume matched, and based on the measurements discussed earlier in this thread, it may well be that the 5S is technically a better DAP than the ZX1 - whether that corresponds to 'sounds better' with your ears/music/headphones is a very different question. This remains a very subjective hobby, but I dont spend too much time thinking about the SNR number posted earlier. 

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #5,542 of 7,711
If Shure iem's don't give hiss it should be fine. from my experience Shure iem's are the most likely to hiss given how sensitive they are. With my customs there is no hiss

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #5,543 of 7,711
Volume matched, and based on the measurements discussed earlier in this thread, it may well be that the 5S is technically a better DAP than the ZX1 - whether that corresponds to 'sounds better' with your ears/music/headphones is a very different question. This remains a very subjective hobby, but I dont spend too much time thinking about the SNR number posted earlier. 
I have to say I agree...

When listening, do you actually 'volume match' your ears? No...

What sounds good is good, whether at 92db, 93db, or even 96db :)

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #5,547 of 7,711
Same here. I use the Sennheiser IE 80 (I'm very satisfied with them, by the way. No problems with a supposed over-emphasized bass). My comparison iphone4s/zx1 can be disregarded, by the way, since I used 256 AAC files on the iphone and ALACs on the zx1.

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #5,548 of 7,711

Actually, soundstage is one area in which the ZX1 does apparently measure better than the 5S.

The sound stage of both Z and F are better than the 5S.
But when you say the ZX1 is better than the 5S, it kinda puts the ZX1 to shame for its hefty price.

You mention some interesting point in your Part 1 video. I would have never thought the processor is that inferior compared to the 5S. That lagging of album art when compared to the 5S is noticed.
Also the dimness of the screen (which in reality is bad for the eyes) is really bad.

Now I dont feel guilty of not buying the ZX1
beerchug.gif

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #5,549 of 7,711
I would have never thought the processor is that inferior compared to the 5S. That lagging of album art when compared to the 5S is noticed.
Also the dimness of the screen (which in reality is bad for the eyes) is really bad.
Yes, the Apple CPU is class leading for such a 'slow' CPU, I suppose one of the perks of being 1st 64 bit to market, also it is well known that the Apple screen is one of the brightest...

Annoying that Apple do still have some aces up their sleeves...

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #5,550 of 7,711
  Once again another hissy Sony product.  They either have too high of a gain or the amp section noise rejection sucks.  What SPL are you getting hissing from?  I'm sure BA will get hiss.  Oh well.. 

a complete misnomer... you get some 'mic air' with older recordings.

the last 'hissy' Walkman was pre X-Series which is at least 3years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back