Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jun 1, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #5,477 of 7,711
  Dumbleroar forgot to ask: have you an app you'd recoment for audiobooks? I think, apart from the stops the "smart" one is quite good. But the stops are a real deal-breaker.

I'm still looking for an app. There must be a good one out there.
I think android can be a bit buggy at times. Not as smooth and bug free as ios. But I've really taken to android. 

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #5,479 of 7,711
For audiobooks it neets to be a dedicated app so that the fun is not spoiled. You need bookmarks but the app has also to remember where you last left of if you are listening to more then one book at a time. Sleeptimer of cause (but that might make sence with music too?) and if the sleep-timer recognizes movement that is just great so that it will only start counting down when you are realy going to sleep. The one I mentioned separates the finished once from the new or started once which is a nice bonus.

I know that this is not a concern for most of you as you are probably using it for music rather than books. But for me the ZX1 is a liabery on its own. It fits so many books at once that I can have all my favorites (including a hole T. Pratchett) plus all the books I plan on hearing over the next month. I think you can relate to this feeling when you think off all your favorite music in good quality at your fingertip at all time.

But mochill I will look into the mentioned app anyway, because maybe I am going to bee surprised.

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #5,481 of 7,711
mochill I looked just into it. I will bring my daughter to buy it so I can give it a look over. She is the music-lover in the family I am the book-worm. It looks quite sufisticated at first glance but might lack some book-features.

What about batteries-drainige? I've read that in the comments, any experience jet?

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #5,483 of 7,711
  For audiobooks it neets to be a dedicated app so that the fun is not spoiled. You need bookmarks but the app has also to remember where you last left of if you are listening to more then one book at a time. Sleeptimer of cause (but that might make sence with music too?) and if the sleep-timer recognizes movement that is just great so that it will only start counting down when you are realy going to sleep. The one I mentioned separates the finished once from the new or started once which is a nice bonus.

I know that this is not a concern for most of you as you are probably using it for music rather than books. But for me the ZX1 is a liabery on its own. It fits so many books at once that I can have all my favorites (including a hole T. Pratchett) plus all the books I plan on hearing over the next month. I think you can relate to this feeling when you think off all your favorite music in good quality at your fingertip at all time.

But mochill I will look into the mentioned app anyway, because maybe I am going to bee surprised.

Hi, sorry to chirp in, but another app you could have a look at is one called listen...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.acmeandroid.listen

It seems to have a lot of the features you are looking for. Its 75p too.

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #5,484 of 7,711
  Hi, sorry to chirp in, but another app you could have a look at is one called listen...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.acmeandroid.listen

It seems to have a lot of the features you are looking for. Its 75p too.

Sorry to chirp in in a forum? That is so sweet :wink:

Thank you for the recommendation. That one is an alternative that I have considered. But it is not quite as cleaned up as the other one. But I will give it a try if the problem with the smart one is not solvable.

Ilkyway

Jun 1, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #5,485 of 7,711
Do you have to do anything special to get the usb out to a dac? I thought I would try it out just for fun and couldn't get it to work. I have the cable from Sony so that shouldn't be an issue.

Jun 1, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #5,486 of 7,711
I use it for my intruder and PHA2, no issues at all. it won't work on other Android devices though. On the intruder, it really sounds horrific, the HO is a much better option. Sounds delightful with the pha2

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #5,487 of 7,711
After testing the Sony ZX1 for some weeks I am very satisfied. The sound with the NAD Viso HP50 is spectacular. Especially well-recorded, acoustic Jazz like that on the ECM label (ALAC files). Just superb detail and soundstage. Only small gripe is the fact that I have to turn up the volume to near-max. Thought about a headphone amp like the Fiio E18 or E12 (the sony PHA-2 is too expensive). Would the Fiio maybe interfere with the sound characteristics of the zx1? Because I find them near-perfect (without any sound enhancements and with the stock player). Not sure I need the amp, but what I do need are good in-ears. I'm thinking about the Shure SE 425, maybe 535, but their >300 Euro price tag is a problem. Can anyone recommend the RHA MA-750 with the sony zx1? Or maybe the Philips Fidelio S1? I'm looking for clear, analytical, non-bassy earphones for less than 300 Euro. 

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #5,489 of 7,711
  After testing the Sony ZX1 for some weeks I am very satisfied. The sound with the NAD Viso HP50 is spectacular. Especially well-recorded, acoustic Jazz like that on the ECM label (ALAC files). Just superb detail and soundstage. Only small gripe is the fact that I have to turn up the volume to near-max. Thought about a headphone amp like the Fiio E18 or E12 (the sony PHA-2 is too expensive). Would the Fiio maybe interfere with the sound characteristics of the zx1? Because I find them near-perfect (without any sound enhancements and with the stock player). Not sure I need the amp, but what I do need are good in-ears. I'm thinking about the Shure SE 425, maybe 535, but their >300 Euro price tag is a problem. Can anyone recommend the RHA MA-750 with the sony zx1? Or maybe the Philips Fidelio S1? I'm looking for clear, analytical, non-bassy earphones for less than 300 Euro. 

Don't know if you got the Japanese version or the EU. But it seems that the EU version is been limited in output. 
I have the Japanese version with some IE8 and believe me when you put it to the max. your ears are bleeding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back