Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
May 23, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #5,392 of 7,711

Thanks. I have wireless features off but had airplane mode on, so turned that off too now. I can't hear it when playing most tracks now. It's most notable when you turn the unit on.

That is strange as airport mode will disable all wireless setting. It could be the caps inside trying to charge up? 

May 23, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #5,393 of 7,711
  That is strange as airport mode will disable all wireless setting. It could be the caps inside trying to charge up? 

Could quite possibly be the caps charging up, as it disappears on most tracks when played. It's not a deal breaker though as it's an amazing sounding player. Got some JH13 pro's coming soon too which will take it to another level :).

May 23, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #5,395 of 7,711
Has anyone used the sony with UM miracles?

May 23, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #5,397 of 7,711
Mine is crystal clear unless I bring my cell phone by it. Otherwise, I love the SQ.

Just received my PHA-2, initial impression... Sounds very nice. Definitely louder without losing any SQ. Looks very sexy too. Now, waiting on my balanced cable for my intruder, then I'll decide which amp I'll keep.

May 23, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #5,398 of 7,711
Doing my nightly stroll and absolutely loving this new stack. I'm just smiling and in audio heaven. Listening to the Beatles, that I've loved for years but I've never heard them like I'm hearing them now. My God am I happy. This is the best money I've spent in years.

May 24, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #5,399 of 7,711
Has anyone used the sony with UM miracles?

I've asked the same question on pretty much every new dap thread and nobody has responded...eventually somebody might answer, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. It's very frustrating, eh?

May 24, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #5,400 of 7,711
I just got my ZX1. But umm I have to point out, did any actually read Tom's post a few days back?

Quote:
  Chinese site Soomal reviews the ZX1 (in Chinese), with measurements lifted off an E-MU1616m (admittedly not the ideal test rig):
http://www.soomal.com/doc/10100004953.htm

SNR measurements are terrible --- ENOB is <16-bits, but that's pretty much expected for any PWM-based D/A conversion system like the S-Master HX.

Distortion and crosstalk are quite respectable, however, and that speaks to the extra care taken with the power supply and LPF caps.

What Soomal found is that the ZX1 has a signal to noise ratio of 93 db. This is lower than an iPhone 5S which they found to have an SNR of 96db. http://www.soomal.com/doc/10100004450.htm Almost all the other THD measurements are worse than the iPhone 5S except stereo crosstalk. If anyone who can read Chinese can correct me, but I am assuming that they used the same test environment including the E-MU1616m in both RMAA tests.

For reference, 16bit audio has a dynamic range of 96db. This means that Sony is selling a 'audiophile 24 bit high resolution music player' that cannot actually deliver 16 bits of dynamic range, let alone 24 bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back