Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
May 22, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #5,372 of 7,711
I misread what you originally typed. Thank you for sharing, I think PHA-2 will be ordered tomorrow.

hope you enjoy your PHA-2.  I never had the chance to try it but many have reports positive improvements over the headphone out.

May 22, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #5,374 of 7,711
How is the ZX-1 with CIEMs? I've given up on asking about specific CIEMs...

May 22, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #5,377 of 7,711

My ZX1 + Westone ES5 is a match made in heaven, I don't think I could find a better match if I tried. Have used this combo for 6 months now and love it to death.

May 22, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #5,378 of 7,711
  I'm not "downloading" any music, but since firmware update, have been converting cd rips to DSD. I have been so impressed, I purchased a Sony HAP-S1, and I'm blown away with the sonic quality ! ( As you say, clarity, depth & naturalness, are apt descriptions. )
I'm told it's not "true DSD", but a sort of "upsampling". ( You need to buy the HAP-Z1ES, for "true DSD", which has a DSD Remastering Engine. ) I couldn't go to that expense, but I'm more than pleased with my Walkman & HAP-S1 player. I'd describe my musical listening experience as a "transformation", now....like nothing I've heard before.

Understand with the lack of availability of material currently which defeats the object, bit like saying here is a Ferrari but you can't have petrol for it! 

How is the HAP-S1 have to ask?  I have the HAP-Z1 on my wish list at the moment as it is Sony back to doing what they are capable of but will have to wait until time is right fund wise to move on that as I am keen on a Chord Hugo next.  Luckily I have the Oppo BDP-105 which doubles up as a media centre or streamer with good Sabre 32bit dacs in and can handle DSD,  The new Sony ES range looks ergonomically beautiful & perfect.  

Do you mean the converting cd rips to DSD on the HAP-S1?  Or somehow converting cd rips to DSD on computer for use with ZX1?
I am wary of upsampling when it is buying music but converting from my own cd collection would be an adventure and might get extra legs out of some of those recordings I have until studios natively master in DSD.  

Anyone using an amp with their zx1? I have an intruder but have been using the zx1 by itself until tonight. Anyway, using the LOD, it sounds so much different, almost masked. I tried using the HO, sounds so much better. Is the DAC part of the intruder hurting the SQ? It really is night & day difference.

I tried my Vorzuge Duo amp which is a stella amp for it's size and it did bring or highlight some detail in the mids the ZX1 was not quite rendering to the forefront or not there at all which is testomony to the Vorzuge amp and the highs and lows were handled different in presentation to the ZX1, not in a bad way but just different which although the Vorzuge is stella with the older X series Walkman and Z Walkman shows improvement even with the Vorzuge hooked up. 

With the ZX1 were the Vorzuge improves it takes away from the Signature that makes the ZX1 special for what the Duo adds to improving some micro details here and there and still only used this for hooking up my headphones which neeeded  the Vorzuges extra juice to drive them properly but now this volume trick has come to light to take the gain up although it again seems to change the signature a little it rocks with my Sony MDR-7520's with modded Whiplash cable so don't even use the Vorzuge for the ZX1 at all now which is a shame but is still there for used with my other gear which benefits from it.  
The amp of the intruder sounds great (using the headphone out of zx1), just when I used the LOD to the Intruder it sounds worse. I'm seriously considering adding the PHA-2.

I was going to call the Police if you had an Intruder but then released you are on Head-fi and must be talking about the one and only Intruder on here.. by RSA. 

Strange as I thought it would be the other way around with the lod sounding better than the HP out and although I have been close in the past to buying a RSA amp and they have slightly different signatures with some models they can from what I've read be a bit darker? I wonder if so if this was the case with the Intruder whether it may just no be the correct synergy even through the lod although both products may be very good in their own right.

My Jh16's since the firmware update which resolved the only sound issue with the mids on the ZX1and now rocks or shall say sounds correct in all the right places and drivers and has plenty of volume left to spare with the Japanese release I have.  Some DSD64 files I have sound superb for realism and detail in the most open &  transparent reproduction and have not heard my JH16's like this on a portable device like this since I got them three years ago.  

They also sound fairly good with the Heir 5.0's I have although I have not spent a pro-longed amount of time with the 5.0's and the ZX1.

May 22, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #5,379 of 7,711
  Understand with the lack of availability of material currently which defeats the object, bit like saying here is a Ferrari but you can't have petrol for it! 

How is the HAP-S1 have to ask?  I have the HAP-Z1 on my wish list at the moment as it is Sony back to doing what they are capable of but will have to wait until time is right fund wise to move on that as I am keen on a Chord Hugo next.  Luckily I have the Oppo BDP-105 which doubles up as a media centre or streamer with good Sabre 32bit dacs in and can handle DSD,  The new Sony ES range looks ergonomically beautiful & perfect.  

Do you mean the converting cd rips to DSD on the HAP-S1?  Or somehow converting cd rips to DSD on computer for use with ZX1?
I am wary of upsampling when it is buying music but converting from my own cd collection would be an adventure and might get extra legs out of some of those recordings I have until studios natively master in DSD.  

I'm extremely impressed with the HAP-S1. It really does give your music a new lease of life ! Especially the higher sampling rates. Ripped cd's to flac 44.1 sound even better too, with the DSSE feature. I'd say even better than using my Oppo 93 player. ( Which I bought a month before the 105 came out ! ) I convert my ripped cd's using JRiver, and then transfer to the HAP-S1. It's a longwinded process, but well worth it ! I would have loved the HAP-Z1ES, but finances dictated, but the S1 is a great alternative !

May 22, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #5,380 of 7,711
  I'm extremely impressed with the HAP-S1. It really does give your music a new lease of life ! Especially the higher sampling rates. Ripped cd's to flac 44.1 sound even better too, with the DSSE feature. I'd say even better than using my Oppo 93 player. ( Which I bought a month before the 105 came out ! ) I convert my ripped cd's using JRiver, and then transfer to the HAP-S1. It's a longwinded process, but well worth it ! I would have loved the HAP-Z1ES, but finances dictated, but the S1 is a great alternative !

I will check out J River for ripping cd's to upsampled, have heard it is meant to be fairly good software.  Do you hook up your ZX1 through the HAP-S1 also?

I use my ZX1 in the NWU7 dock cradle with usb line out to the Oppo which then goes through my Tag Mclaren processor for listening to the floorstanders.   

I was peeved off when Oppo brought a silver finish out after the black one but not as much as you probably was about the 105 release a month after the 93! 

May 22, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #5,381 of 7,711
  I will check out J River for ripping cd's to upsampled, have heard it is meant to be fairly good software.  Do you hook up your ZX1 through the HAP-S1 also?

I've actually got the F886. ( I wanted the ZX-1, but was too impatient to wait ! ) I've tried hooking it up to the HAP-S1, without success, even though I think I have the right cable ! ? If I have.....I'm clearly doing something wrong !! ??
Yes, I was so annoyed, that I didn't know a new Oppo model was due !

May 22, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #5,382 of 7,711
  hello dear friends

I want to help , I am not a professional but I know what I want :)

what is the difference between sony f886 and nwz-zx1 , which one is a good choice for me ? I use westone 3 - sennheiser amperior  

***  1 or 2 months later I will buy   " inear stage driver sd3 "

by the way , I always listen electronic music , just electronic :)    not pop , classic , rock , jazz , bluess  

thank you

Please read Noel Heywoods review of the 886 in Hi-Fi World before you make any purchase decisions - I'm afraid he's not a fan beyond the video and 'gadget' capabilities of the cheaper Walkman. This is his conclusion:

Unfortunately, the NWZ-F886 is a low-res audio player equipped to play high resolution audio files. Sony has given it none of the special parts - including top quality DAC and high performance line-output amplifiers - that go to make up a true high resolution player. With no digital output able to feed an external DAC, it is severely limited audio-wise and not in the same league as rivals. It is streets-ahead gadget wise though and great value if this is what you want.

He doesnt put it in the same league as the AK120, although I had to wonder if he was aware that you can get a LOD for the WM-Port and hookup an external amp. He wasnt especially impressed with either Bluetooth or Wi-Fi capability and my own time with the ZX1 and my Chord Hugo tend to reinforce those sentiments : Bluetooth playback is acceptable to my ears but even AptX doesnt drive me wild with excitement. 

One man's opinion ? Sure, but he raved about the ADL X1 in the same issue and I am really enjoying mine : it just isnt as elegant a solution as the ZX1. Interesting that the X1 thread here seems to have become a bitch session between people who have never actually heard it, but that's so often the way - personally, I think it's one of the best BFYB toys I've had in a long time. Whether Heywood's opinion of the 886 and - by extension - the lack of a digital output on both Walkmans impacts your purchase decision, I think it's better to hear another POV before you lay down your hard-earned cash on a DAP with such minimal onboard storage. 

May 23, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #5,384 of 7,711
Hımmm my choise will be DX100 :) 

Dx100 + inear stage driver 3       woooow 
L3000.gif

May 23, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #5,385 of 7,711
Zx1 doesn't have a DAC, it has its unique class D and those caps are for headphone out. I think lineout both should sound the same.

You have one more chance to save your face. :wink:

Of course the ZX1 has a dac how else could it read and play digital signals into a HO port? The utter question is, which one is it? A question that most likely only the engineers at Sony could answer but won't. I am pretty sure they've used a good one though, for that price. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back