Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Apr 18, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #4,831 of 7,711
  Wow, miss this thread for a few days and all heck breaks loose! (good heck, of course)... Downloading update right now, and can't wait to take a listen...

Please post about the about the sound quality after the update.  Does anyone know whether the DSD is native or converted into hi-rez PCM.  I'm thinking it is be played natively as the file data shows 1bit for Bit depth, 2.8224 Mhz for sampling rate, and of 5644 kbps for Bit rate.  When my NAD M51 is playing DSD from SACD (from the Oppo) it converts the data to 24/88.2 hi-rez PCM.

Apr 18, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #4,832 of 7,711
DSD is converted to PCM I believe... there's a good discussion going on in the Hugo thread with regard to formats  etc., Rob Watts is giving us a education, it's too technical for my input but it does make good reading, best to go back to mon/tues in thread & read from there.

Apr 18, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #4,835 of 7,711
  Can anyone post their impressions on how this sounds with the IE80s and would it be worth the 700$ upgrade compared to an android phone + DAC setup(Xperia s + e17)?

yup... but that's me.

Booker T is back
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 18, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #4,836 of 7,711
Ok, so I've been doing some listening, and yeah, I do hear some more depth to the soundstage. Also there's a perception of increased air, and vocals seem more immediate and full (as does the midrange in general). Not sure I'm hearing an improvement in bass 'cleanness', but it's certainly no worse. Perhaps I could say it does sound a bit more 'snappy' than how I remember it. This has been a nice surprise to read up on no doubt! 

Apr 18, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #4,838 of 7,711
  Yes, I have to concur this long awaited update (which if it were not for OK-Guy a while back informing me of impending update) has corrected the only short comings I found with this magnificent machine which in all honesty did bug me limiting me to listening to this much as I would of liked to my normal mileage I usually put on Walkman's.

It seems the mid's have been balanced out to give an even performance now across the spectrum giving a more realistic soundstage and has been executed just right but it is not a subtle correction either as they have also tweaked the bottom end and top region with the bass notes even more linear than before and can hear the different frequency's the bass can deliver whilst it travels further south before a note has finished.  

The top end is even more subtle in resolution now and sounds even closer to reproducing a realistic sounding symbol sound.  Vocals also seem even more prominent in a good way.  

Even the noise floor is lower for me, not that it was high to start with but sounds like it is on an even blacker background now with just eerie silence between the instruments. 

The update actually does bring improvements all round in the sound department as well as sorting out the shallow mids.  I'm over the moon to be honest and was so taken aback by this vast improvement it kept me awake until 2.30am this morning as every song was even more transient than before on the ZX1 which now makes live performances now more dynamic and lively as they had a tendency to sound flat even with recordings that were anything but.  

This is now a little reminiscent of the balanced mids of my old X series but just with ten times more resolution and more accurate and wider soundstaging (which has not been to affected from the update as far as I can hear).

Cannot believe how this update has has nailed the mids and at same time improved the bottom and top end.  Big thanks to Sony team for acknowledging and rolling out this improvement as I'm now 100% hooked to putting in some serious listening hours on this over the Easter weekend. 

If you do need to pair the ZX1 with a portable amp/dac at some point for bigger cans then just don't put the thoroughbred in the stable with a donkey
wink_face.gif

agree with everything you said in you post mate which does save me on a bit of typing... being loving all my old soul today, The Delfonics, Chi-Lites, Roberta Flack, Dorothy Moore, The Dells, etc., these artist have been absent from my Walkman for an age mainly because they sounded crap... it's like having a turbocharged WM-Z but with more grunt either end, this is what I was hoping for from the outset, our patience has been rewarded.

btw... you'd know all about 'thoroughbreds & donkeys' supporting your mob... before to go for the ultra riposte, I know my team's full of asses 'eyor up the hammers'. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 18, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #4,839 of 7,711
To me the biggest improvement is the vocals / midrange... and the one area where I'm saying to myself 'I don't remember it sounding this good'. Vocals are just so rich, full, and right sounding. Very nice!

Apr 18, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #4,840 of 7,711
  Ok, so I've been doing some listening, and yeah, I do hear some more depth to the soundstage. Also there's a perception of increased air, and vocals seem more immediate and full (as does the midrange in general). Not sure I'm hearing an improvement in bass 'cleanness', but it's certainly no worse. Perhaps I could say it does sound a bit more 'snappy' than how I remember it. This has been a nice surprise to read up on no doubt! 

Thanks for your finding.  I'm just glad that they shaved off some midbass from the ZX1 while making the bass depth deeper.  Overall a step up in refinement & presentation.

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #4,841 of 7,711
So it's not placebo ? I love the sound now, esp the mids and the more relaxed presentation. So far, don't feel the urge to slip in an amp in the line.

On a side note, I am in a good mood today. And that sure lends to the listening pleasure. Same setup on some days suck rock bottom while not on others.

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #4,842 of 7,711
Wow , super hyped with this new update reports , is what ZX1 should have been released .
Some questions for OKGuy , do you now see clear improvement from F-series ? ZX1's cons with old recording as you had mentioned before , is it now gone with the update ? Do you feel the need to look back at your walkman Z any longer ?

Apr 19, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #4,844 of 7,711
Just a question - am i missing something here or just being an idiot - what is the obsession with DSD i mean yes ok its high sample rate and different type of sampling in general but how many songs in DSD you have - i have hardly seen more then 2 - or is there like the "international audiophile store" where all the songs are in DSD. 

And second more important one - ok so ive been doing research on zx1 for a while decided it is the device for me - but one last thing is bothering me - so ok it has a d type amp inside - how does it compare to a proper big DAC tho like the hi-res systems you can get from sony - as in if you intend to use it as a source for your computer and everything do you think it is going to provide not the best but close to the best sound you can find currently at that price ?

Regards

Apr 19, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #4,845 of 7,711
Just a question - am i missing something here or just being an idiot - what is the obsession with DSD i mean yes ok its high sample rate and different type of sampling in general but how many songs in DSD you have - i have hardly seen more then 2 - or is there like the "international audiophile store" where all the songs are in DSD. 

And second more important one - ok so ive been doing research on zx1 for a while decided it is the device for me - but one last thing is bothering me - so ok it has a d type amp inside - how does it compare to a proper big DAC tho like the hi-res systems you can get from sony - as in if you intend to use it as a source for your computer and everything do you think it is going to provide not the best but close to the best sound you can find currently at that price ?

Regards

Channel clasics has lots of dsd recorordings if thats what you listen to. Also exceptionally well mastered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back