Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Apr 17, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #4,802 of 7,711
Just updated. Was worried all of my Google pinned music would be deleted, but they are all still there :)

Still android 4.1.1.

Apr 17, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #4,803 of 7,711
Hi all,
Trying to find a portable amplifier that pairs up nicely with my ZX1. Obviously the sound quality is key. However, I would also like something in keeping style wise (silver). I have an AK100 which is used for truly portable use, so the ZX1 plus amplifier will be used around the house only.
I am considering the Just Audio AHA-100. This is a £350 amp, so feels a sensible option based on the ZX1 performance level. That would be maximum budget though.
Ideally, I would love to see a picture of someones ZX1 based rig to see how it looks aesthetically. Cannot find anything in the portable pics forum, aside from Rudi's Chord Hugo!
A don't wish to bypass the ZX1 dac, so looking at amplifier only, hence not looking at the PHA-1 etc.
I only use headphones (no earphones), along the lines of Sennheiser Aluminiums, Denon AHD600's, so nothing too difficult to drive.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Hopefully, someone else has paired up with an amplifier and found a match.
Paul

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #4,805 of 7,711
Hi all,
Trying to find a portable amplifier that pairs up nicely with my ZX1.... don't wish to bypass the ZX1 dac, so looking at amplifier only, hence not looking at the PHA-1 etc.
Paul

To carry around the house : Bakoon HPA-21 :)

Or use like me the tu-05 portable tube amp. It is SPLENDID !

And booth offer gorgeous synergy With TH-900

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #4,806 of 7,711
DSD support is available!

:D May be now we can hope for à 256 Gb version of the ZX1: this will be a very logical upgradewith those BIG DSD files ?

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #4,810 of 7,711
anyone else noticing a slight improvement in sound... the slight problem I had with some older recordings seems to be rectified namely the lower mids & upper bass, there's more space between the instruments... the delivery seems slightly better focused & airier... this is with the  F887, I don't have my ZX1 its gone on holiday again, this time to the USA. 
confused_face.gif

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #4,811 of 7,711
Thanks bmichels. Great photos.
I think it looks excellent (tu-05) but would cost more than I can justify or budget for, despite no doubt sounding top class.
Looking for something cheaper. Would love a ALO Continental, but UK sourcing difficult. Ideally something sized similar to ZX1.
Just Audio is British, so probable purchase. A bit too big really for my headphones needs. Just wanted to see if anything else I had not contemplated.
Thanks again.

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #4,812 of 7,711
Thanks bmichels. Great photos.
I think it looks excellent (tu-05) but would cost more than I can justify or budget for, despite no doubt sounding top class.
Looking for something cheaper. Would love a ALO Continental, but UK sourcing difficult. Ideally something sized similar to ZX1.
Just Audio is British, so probable purchase. A bit too big really for my headphones needs. Just wanted to see if anything else I had not contemplated.
Thanks again.

TU-05's little Brother: the TUR-06 ?  Half size and still tube based (but Hybrid)

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #4,813 of 7,711
Hi, I've been looking at getting a tube amp (possibly LD mkiii) and was wondering what the best way to connect the zx1 might be? Does it go through usb or wm port? Any suggestions for which cable to get?

Thanks in advance and apologies if this question as been posed already (did a search and hit 325 posts so gave up!)

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #4,814 of 7,711
OK-Guy said:
anyone else noticing a slight improvement in sound... the slight problem I had with some older recordings seems to be rectified namely the lower mids & upper bass, there's more space between the instruments... the delivery seems slightly better focused & airier... this is with the  F887, I don't have my ZX1 its gone on holiday again, this time to the USA. 
confused_face.gif

I notice the same thing on my ZX1.  Mid-bass is now less pronounced and the the bass notes seem to extend deeper.  The presentation is now more refined with slightly deeper soundstage.  I'm glad that Sony did address the two slight shortcoming in the headphone output department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back