Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Mar 21, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #4,381 of 7,711
It looks like u both are chasing after the latest and greatest. Ever considered jumping to the AK240? That should last you for awhile :$

people are spending a fortune on the AK240 and using it as a source to the Hugo... I can do that with the ZX1, says it all in my book.

ZX1/F887 £500/£300 + Hugo £1400 = £1900/£1700

AK240 = £2200

Mar 21, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #4,382 of 7,711
Thanks. Have just checked their price, and after adding import taxes, I am better waiting for some more UK stock.

here where much talk about www.pricejapan.com

the total cost of importing from Price-Japan including taxes is between £480-£500, they mark down the price to roughly $100(USD)... by Courier Del. 5days(Fedex) = £480 - by EMS = £500 Del. 7days(EMS)

what you save in shipping, cost you more in the long run because of Royal Mail's charges, handling & taxes roughly £30-40.... no Customs if you use the Courier, hth. 

Mar 21, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #4,383 of 7,711
If you want a one box solution then the ak240 is the way to go but if you want the best sound quality then a transport like the sony and hugo are the only way to go plus hugo is British and we should be proud!

Mar 21, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #4,386 of 7,711
I would love to have someone make a blindfolded Test: A Smartphone, Sansa SanDisc, a Cowon, the ZX1, the AK240 and all of them with a hugo. Maybe it is my envy talking but it is hard for me to believe, that if there was such a huge step say from the SanDisc to Cowon to ZX1 to AK240 that the hugo should top it of that much. Should not sound the simplest of these really crappy than? 

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #4,387 of 7,711
  I would love to have someone make a blindfolded Test: A Smartphone, Sansa SanDisc, a Cowon, the ZX1, the AK240 and all of them with a hugo. Maybe it is my envy talking but it is hard for me to believe, that if there was such a huge step say from the SanDisc to Cowon to ZX1 to AK240 that the hugo should top it of that much. Should not sound the simplest of these really crappy than? 

As I pointed out in my review, the Clip+ with Rockbox sounds basically identical to this until you use the signal processing on the ZX1. That really does make a difference:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/711083/sony-nw-zx1-review

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #4,388 of 7,711

people are spending a fortune on the AK240 and using it as a source to the Hugo... I can do that with the ZX1, says it all in my book.

ZX1/F887 £500/£300 + Hugo £1400 = £1900/£1700

AK240 = £2200

I would love to know how they invented that UK AK240 price, you can save hundreds importing and paying the full taxes and charges.

Has anyone managed to get a definitive answer on the volume limiting issue for the ZX1?

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #4,389 of 7,711
Sorry to ask a basic question but I've just found out that the new Fiio X has a rather low file number limit and would be grateful if an expert on the NWZ-ZX1 could tell what the file and folder number limits are for this DAP.

Thanks very much.

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #4,390 of 7,711
  I pre-ordered the day the pre-orders started working and it always said 21st-24th. I didn't expect that to be accurate to be honest. I chose the free delivery and got it next day too. Pretty chuffed. Sounds like the first shipment was a very small number of units though. 

Will post some detailed impressions later. On first listen, a very neutral, clean digital sound. Not going to be for everyone but I like it. 

Nice. I got no word from Sony on when they'd arrive in Australia sadly. You would hope they wouldn't start taking orders if they were too far away.

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #4,391 of 7,711
@ system11 Not since there is someone with a japan-version willing and able to compare.

@ reginalb: thanks for pointing me to your review. Interesting read, very detailed. A bit beside my point though. What I was trying to say is: when I read here about all thous well worded sound-experiences with headphones, DAPs and amplifier sometimes it just sounds a bit over the top to me (here I am NOT referring to your review!). It sounds sometimes like a person at a restaurant trying to impress by overly dramatic testing and describing the wine. It just iches me to do a blindfold test to verify if thous persons relay can distinguish all the different sources.

But as I said above: it might just being me envying thous good ears. 

My reasons for the ZX1: 1. Space (128 GB) 2. UI (I was so tiered of the Cowon UI) 3. Looks (I think it soooo beautiful) 4. Control-Buttens (finding everything in the dark without second thoughts needed)

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #4,392 of 7,711

@ reginalb: ... when I read here about all thous well worded sound-experiences with headphones, DAPs and amplifier sometimes it just sounds a bit over the top to me (here I am NOT referring to your review!). It sounds sometimes like a person at a restaurant trying to impress by overly dramatic testing and describing the wine. It just iches me to do a blindfold test to verify if thous persons relay can distinguish all the different sources...

Absolutely agree with you.

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #4,393 of 7,711
Differences in sound, when people begins to use an amp are very subtle at best. Note however, that most of the time they are notorious, specially when you put 100% attention in your listening. I'm betting that the HUGO amp offers quite nice sound, but me, being an electronic engineer I can assure that it's seriously overpriced. I really doubt they have the R&D sony has to develop, for example, a layered PCB specifically designed to supress noise as in the PHA-2, nonetheless they still charge you quite a lot more. I assume because of the fact that they use very interesting components, excluding perhaps the layered PCB, but even so, accounting for all the components that the DAC probably has, I reaaaaaaally wonder wether or not is overpriced.

Edit: Come to think about it... perhaps if they apply gold in all the tracks of the PCB, well... that would be interesting.
Edit2: Nevertheless sony also charges you design, the PHA-2 looks sexy... whereas the HUGO... well...

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #4,395 of 7,711

As I pointed out in my review, the Clip+ with Rockbox sounds basically identical to this until you use the signal processing on the ZX1. That really does make a difference:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/711083/sony-nw-zx1-review

I read your review and it left me quite perplexed.  It stated that the sony zx1 without eq sounds the same as a $30 clip+.  What are you using as your evaluation criteria and at what volume are you listening to those devices?  Are there any differences between the devices such as:

- Bass (tightness/muddiness)
- Clarity in the mids
- Treble (smooth/harshness/grain)
- Soundstage (width/depth)
- Instrument separation
- Imaging/positioning

I've mainly been focussing on iems and only recently became interested in upgrading my source/dap.  At the level of the zx1 I think that most people will be looking for refinement.  I've found that refinement comes at a price and if you're enthusiastic about music like most people on head-fi the price is up to the person willing to purchase the device.  Personally I think that the incremental improvement is worth it within a certain budget.

I'm not trying to discredit your opinion; just interested to find out more information, whether you're really putting things straight amongst the fanboys.  My preference is for reference sound without eq so I look to buy portable audio that suits my preferred sound signature.  Unfortunately I'm not located in an area where I can easily go out and test iems and daps so once the zx1 is available in my area I'll be able to test is against my ipod classic 6g; I have a feeling that I would have the urge to upgrade after listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back