Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jan 11, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #3,046 of 7,711
  The internal amp is plenty enough to drive any IEMs out there to an unsafe level.  With my JH13pro, I can't stand anything above 17 volume level, and there is 30 volume steps in all.  The ZX1 is very dynamics John.  It is more dynamics sounding than the X3, DX50, and MS-AK100 that I have.  The headphone out is reminiscent of the DX100 but with less power which only matter with more difficult to drive phones.  The line out is totally fine but it is lower in volume than most.  All Sony DAPs have very quite line out.  I think it is the resulting of the Class D amp.  For reference, I have to use medium gain setting on my Pico Power amp.  

Line out shouldn't be related to amp power of the dap, with line out, you are supposed to bypass the amp section, so you basically don't use it. Doesn't matter if there is class A or D amp.

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #3,049 of 7,711
Line out shouldn't be related to amp power of the dap, with line out, you are supposed to bypass the amp section, so you basically don't use it. Doesn't matter if there is class A or D amp.

it may not be related to the amp section but the line out on the Sony is significant more quiet than other DAPs that I've tried. Remember that the Class D design does not have a conventional DAC chip to take the line out out signal from. I don't know how the line out is derived either on the models with S-master module on board.

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #3,051 of 7,711
Does anybody know how the Sony digital amplifier works? Is this the same idea as the Nuforce DDA-100 direct digital amplifier "power DAC"?

https://docs.sony.com/release/strda9000es_twp.pdf

from page 3 , I cannot confirm if ZX-1 is exactly the same... but i suspect the concept is similar

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #3,054 of 7,711
hi all, just wondering if the ZX-1 comes with a case? I've just ordered a ZX-1 from pricejapan but now wondering if I need to buy a separate case to protect this beautiful DAP. Cheers!

You no need to buy extra case , in the packet is already included 1 case .
You need to buy screen protector and USB dac cable

The case on the right site

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #3,055 of 7,711
Posted in relation to last couple of pages as I am having technical issue doing quotes (which there would of been a few) currently.......

I am still mesmerized by the large expansive soundstage, ultra visceral low end but yet highly detailed and the crisp organic but not overly sharp top end. 

I am finding the JH16's dynamic enough with the ZX1 and there is plenty of volume left on the ZX1 depending on master recorded output which can vary a lot but (can be between 15-20) do feel the ZX1 handles the JH16's fairly well on the whole, if I was been fussy and critical even with these ceims I have heard them better controlled on the threshold I go to with other amps as it just loses it slightly in the mid to upper regions. 

Again, I have found the Sony MDR-7520 & MDR-R1 headphones both @ 24 ohm on a good recorded redbook cd with a high recorded output I can have several approx 5-7 steps left on the volume pot but with older mastered cd's that have a lower recorded output or high res files (that seem to be recorded lower than red book cd's) need to be amped for extra volume alone as the variation can be much as almost 10 steps on the volume pit between recordings which is shocking.

As Andrew13 who kindly shared his high res files with me  is a mixed bag and when a 96 or 192 file is done properly can sound something special but a let's say poorly recorded maybe upsampled? file can be worse than a good redbook cd.  

Have to agree Andrew13 the Jeff Beck in 44.1 khz flac shows when recorded right (a live recording as well) can sound almost out of this world.  

So far I am finding the recorded level of the cd's  play a big part and is the difference between needing an amp with just my 24 ohm headphones.  

I only use wav or flac files with stock player and EQ/ sound enhancement settings turned off.

The ZX1 has definitely become more loosened up, in a good way over time and is even more evolving and dynamic as it was when it came out of the box.  

*Just went from Inception OST to The Who to P. Gabriel Live (in flac 44.1) and the ZX1 certainly makes it an encompassing and involving roller coaster ride with it's accomplished P.R.A.T, dynamics and organic velvet, smooth.... but yet clear and precise sound to the music (*only with good recrodings!)

How are ZX1 owners finding the mids in general on the ZX1, am I the only one finding them just a tad recessed  in relation to the bass and top ends? 

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #3,056 of 7,711
I've sometimes wondered if the mids are a touch recessed... but at the same time think that maybe it is the spaciousness of the rest of the range around the mids... Very hard to say for sure. When I focus on vocals, they don't seem wanting or coming from further away than with the F807, just maybe have more room to breathe? 

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #3,057 of 7,711
You no need to buy extra case , in the packet is already included 1 case .
You need to buy screen protector and USB dac cable

The case on the right site

Thanks rudi, nice to know that I don't need to purchase a separate case. I did grab the screen protector, but not the USB Dac cable. I guess I'll shoot over an email to pj to see if I can amend my order. Cheers again!  

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #3,059 of 7,711
  By the way, has anybody had any issues using the ZX-1 as a USB DAC on a mac or macbook? Or have mac users had any other issues with the ZX-1? 

The ZX1 is a dap only and can't be used a dac. There are cables that allows it to be connected to dacs however if that is what you are referring to. 

Also the case that comes with the ZX1 is horrible. I'm hoping with the ZX1 being released in UK and other countries that someone develops a nice leather case for them.

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #3,060 of 7,711

The ZX1 is a dap only and can't be used a dac. There are cables that allows it to be connected to dacs however if that is what you are referring to.

Yeh sorry about that, I was abit confused. I thought the ZX-1 was similar to the AK100 and AK120 with a USB DAC function. I don't really wish to pair the ZX-1 with a portable DAC, so it seems that I'm good without the cable then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back