Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jan 9, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #2,971 of 7,711
Has anyone used the Clear Audio + feature to reduce bass quantity? I've noticed from interface screenshots that the scale goes negative as well as positive.
I often like to turn down the bass (eg for my HD25s) but the 400Hz bottom band on the built-in EQ doesn't look particularly useful.
Also, I'm slightly concerned that folks are reporting a lower SQ when using PowerAMP / USB Audio Player / other third party apps.

Jan 9, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #2,972 of 7,711

the ZX1 might not be capped according to some because it does not come supplied with headphones...

I don't think that has anything to do with the volume cap ? Sony are not supplying bog standard phones with this player, because they expect consumers to buy ( or already have ) quality headphones, to go with this "flagship player". ( "Here's our flagship £550 Hi Res DAP....and we'll throw in some naff in ear headphones"....not going happen...Sony, would think it a bit of an insult to the consumer, if they did that. ) I'll be very very surprised if the U.K. / Europe ZX1 isn't volume capped.

Jan 9, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #2,973 of 7,711
Has anyone used the Clear Audio + feature to reduce bass quantity? I've noticed from interface screenshots that the scale goes negative as well as positive.
I often like to turn down the bass (eg for my HD25s) but the 400Hz bottom band on the built-in EQ doesn't look particularly useful.
Also, I'm slightly concerned that folks are reporting a lower SQ when using PowerAMP / USB Audio Player / other third party apps.
Any music player will normally change sound signature slightly, iTunes vs foobar etc. Every music app i tried on ZX1 had slightly different sound but I decided to stick with stock one because it sounds best to me and has no glitches, works with side buttons etc. I also liked VLC but it was too buggy (in beta) ... vlc had more warm/full sound, less edge on highs(however with ES5 I prefer edge on highs, perfect combo for me :D)

Jan 9, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #2,974 of 7,711

Atrac is lossless... so is WAV & Flac.

this is exactly the same as other Walkman's - Z1060/70, F806/7 & F886/7

not all ATRAC is lossless, most isn't. ATRAC3+ 64 through to 352kbps is lossy, but should be gapless and is gapless on MZ-RH1, just wondered if still was gapless on this android platform?

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #2,975 of 7,711
Any music player will normally change sound signature slightly, iTunes vs foobar etc. Every music app i tried on ZX1 had slightly different sound but I decided to stick with stock one because it sounds best to me and has no glitches, works with side buttons etc. I also liked VLC but it was too buggy (in beta) ... vlc had more warm/full sound, less edge on highs(however with ES5 I prefer edge on highs, perfect combo for me
biggrin.gif
)

OK, thanks.

And the Clear Audio + issue?

Am ready to pull the trigger on these, but a lack of practical way to reduce sub-to-mid bass levels (without the issues you've mentioned wrt other player apps) is the only thing holding me back.

Anyone?

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #2,976 of 7,711
  So my V6 Stage were delivered today but unfortunately they were delivered to work the day I was off (funny how that works out -_-) so I'll get them tomorrow. I'll be able to pair it with the ZX1 to see how a slightly brighter ciem sounds/ with this. 

So rawrster did you finally get your V6 Stage back? Was curious if you could post some impressions paired with the ZX1 ^_^ ......pretty please!

Thanks!

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #2,977 of 7,711
  So rawrster did you finally get your V6 Stage back? Was curious if you could post some impressions paired with the ZX1 ^_^ ......pretty please!

Thanks!

Yes I did and it sounds great. The V6 Stage sounds good out of everything I have paired it with so far. The only thing is that your files/recording needs to be good. If it's lacking it may be more prone to some slight sibilance.

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #2,978 of 7,711
  I think this question has been asked before although does the Sony allow folder view of music when searching?

You can search from folder view & a drop down of the track name will be shown. You will not be able to see the tracks in a its folder for searching. You can see tracks in the folder only when you click on the folder view without searching.

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #2,979 of 7,711
Oh BTW have been held hostage by my ZX1 literally all week  
etysmile.gif
  This thing is amazing as a stand alone DAP with IEM, have been more than pleased. Almost the minute i received it on Mon i loaded up 80gb of flac and alac on it, most of it being 24/192 files. Let's just say that it seems I have rediscovered some of my music all over again! Pink Floyd live at Pompeii has sounded simply amazing with the wide open sound-stage of this DAP. Will post a pic or two when I finally get my CIEM's from 1964 ears. I'm currently running a pair of Shure 315's on the ZX1 as of now and can't wait to give a listen with the V6 Stage. 

One other thing I was thinking of....would anyone post a pic or two or perhaps list a comprehensive checklist of what you're doing to conserve battery life? Daily I have had airplane mode ON, screen at its dimmest with a 30 sec turn OFF, all wifi and bluetooth OFF naturally, and location services OFF as well. I think that is pretty much all one could do to extend battery life. I seem to be getting maybe 20hrs +/- from a single charge from 0 - 100% full. Was curious if this is consistent with anyone else? As it states in the online description something like 32 hrs of continuous playback. I wonder what that is based on for playback options......

Anywho, would strongly suggest this DAP to anyone!!! it has been a fantastic experience thus far, and i can totally understand why people were selling there AK120's for this.

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #2,980 of 7,711

Yes & no.

No, If you use the stock player, you will not be able to adjust the band EQ to reduce bass as that option is greyed out once the clear audio + is on.
Yes, if you use 3rd party apps. you can turn on the clear+ audio in the main settings, and then go to your 3rd party apps and reduce bass from there.

I have tried it with poweramp so far and have been going back and forth with the stock player and I find it hard to tell the differences (with all EQ completely off), I am using IEM 1P2. If there is a reduce in quality, I would like to know too what I should look out for as I can hardly tell the diff. I tried a blind test and I fail. They sound the same so far..

I actually like the power amp because its interface is so fluid (much more fluid than stock) and I like to sort by Genre first then album, while the stock player, sort by genre then artist. So you can have hundreds of these artist in that genre instead of by Album cover art. This is especially painful if you own CD compilation where you have many artist in single CD, you will end up with hundreds of 1 track folder. The stock player album art is very tiny as it squeeze 3 album across instead of 2 album. Last thing is the stock player is not very responsive, sometimes it will not respond in 1 touch, u need to touch again. Of course I am just been picky, I believe many is very happy with stock player.

Jan 9, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #2,981 of 7,711

Yes I did and it sounds great. The V6 Stage sounds good out of everything I have paired it with so far. The only thing is that your files/recording needs to be good. If it's lacking it may be more prone to some slight sibilance.

Friggin Sweet!! Yea I figured that with V6 Stage IEM's the sensitivity would be much greater than most I have listened to so far (Shure SE535's being the best I have had my hands on to listen to) thats why since on my trek through the hifi world i've invested in as high quality of a lossless file as I could get for my tracks. 

Jan 9, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #2,982 of 7,711
Hey anyone heard a diff with DSEE HX on and off? In the menu, it say "Recover the high-tone range lost with digital music. The available playback time of a full battery charge may be reduced". I turn on and off and no diff in SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back