Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jan 8, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #2,911 of 7,711

I want me one of those to go with my new Zanussi... you know the coo, share the ink.

Yes, it is a special prototype that is revolutionary that is a threat to the existence of the competing manufacturers so due to the inventors reluctance with fear for his life I have to make do with a conventional LG wash dryer which goes into cool down mode on dry cycle  (locked, non resettable) for 4 hours!  

Talking of cooling down has anyone noticed how warm the ZX1 gets when playing at times?  Has felt a little on the hot side a couple of times.  Great as a hand warmer in this winter weather when on the go. 

For folks in the UK, Tottenham Court Road (Central London) is generally the place to go for hard-to-find electronics gear, but even then the economic downturn has been evident in a reduction in the amount of bleeding-edge gear available there.

You can sometimes get a good deal there, but it's not for the faint of heart. They're a bunch of sharks and they can smell weakness or uncertainty in the punters within just a second or two after they've walked into the shop. You need to know exactly what you want, and the sellers sometimes try to trip you up by asking you "how much do you wanna pay?", so you need to know exactly how low / high you are willing to pay and you need to have cash, not cards.  Oh, and you need to dress in nothing fancier than jeans and a T-shirt, with no jewellery or watch, and no fancy shoes/trainers. If they sniff that you may have more cash than you're letting on, you'll never get their best price.

I recall paying about £230 for a D-777 Discman when everyone was retailing them for £299 - £320 (this was when they were 'just off the ship', very rare in the UK, and in high demand from head-fi geeks), but I had to go in the shop with such confidence that they ended up whimpering at the price I got them to sell it for.

I'm not saying that to brag - I'm simply mentioning it to describe how merciless (but always polite) you need to be with them. Not so much merciless with words, but in certitude and self-confidence.

I no longer live in London but if anyone reading this thread is considering buying a ZX1 in the UK, please consider visiting Tottenham Court Road if you have the necessary self-confidence, described above, and can't find a decent deal online. It's a buyer's market at the moment.

How times change, I used to enjoy the days of that special trip to Tottenham Court Rd  when I was young to purchase a portable player or Walkman (back in the days of cassettes) or even now going to a shop to buy something like a ZX1 for example  when it happens  but I am part of that cycle of consumers that have contributed to change by buying on-line for the savings so am guilty as charged... Devil and the deep blue sea. 
  Just tried the Shure SE846. With the white filters (bright), they sound amazing with the ZX1. Great portable rig.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/675219/shure-se846-appreciation-thread/705#post_10142644

Used to have the old SE530's and loved them and do wonder how the SE846 improves on my old SE530's in sound but can only imagine they would compliment the ZX1 as you don't have to as you obviously have them!   

Only question Mimouille... would you say they justify in performance to the price Shure ask for them as they certainly are a step up from my old SE530 model in price as well as drivers.  

The case is pretty bad..actually no it's really bad and I wouldn't even use it. I'm hoping someone makes a nice case for them. With it being released in the UK and other countries soon I'm hoping a leather case of some sort comes out.

This is the one thing that really annoys me with Sony as they are getting back on track with producing products how they used to is their attention to detail with the accessories in this case....the case and charge dock stations (more Xperia docks)  as they are degraded to poor quality design and materials with not much thought put into them which is the opposite of what was the unique finishing touch Sony had with their products in the accessories that complemented their models they had out. 
On top of that they are over charging the earth for these currently.   

Just hoping when Sony actually bring out a dedicated fold out opening case for the ZX1 it is not in the same cheap finish of the supplied case which is along the same design materials of the Xperia phone and tablet cases Sony do.  

Jan 8, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #2,913 of 7,711
Its finally in my hand, this is perhaps the most beautiful Audiophile DAP I have seen. Design and build simply stunning..

Taken some pictures for you... hope you enjoy its beauty as much I do..click image for higher resolution.

Jan 8, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #2,914 of 7,711
The clear audio + is kind of like the mega bass switch in Discman but a much much more improved version... Bass goes up 3 stop, treble goes up 3 stops, sound stage expanded, instrument separate further apart, unfortunately I find the vocal becomes compressed by the up treble and bass.. . Similar to megabass but again much much better than mega bass

In other words, with clear audio+, my 1p2 IEM sounded like senn IE800..

Jan 8, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #2,915 of 7,711
  Its finally in my hand, this is perhaps the most beautiful Audiophile DAP I have seen. Design and build simply stunning..

Taken some pictures for you... hope you enjoy its beauty as much I do..click image for higher resolution.

Excellent pics, and congratulations - you must be almost the only person who's uploaded pics, onto the net, of the top edge of the NW-ZX1, odd though that may seem!

Jan 8, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #2,916 of 7,711

Excellent pics, and congratulations - you must be almost the only person who's uploaded pics, onto the net, of the top edge of the NW-ZX1, odd though that may seem!

I think because there's totally nothing to see there xD

EDIT:
Also the Sony and Marketing guys:

Jan 8, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #2,918 of 7,711

I think because there's totally nothing to see there xD

EDIT:
Also the Sony and Marketing guys:

we can tell your a ZX1 newbie
very_evil_smiley.gif
... you meant to turn the ZX1 around and 'wiggle it' to rap when listening to a tune, that's some sexy ass.
tongue_smile.gif

Audiowood, great photos

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #2,924 of 7,711

Thanks. I am going to take some more pic with my Headphones and IEM once the joy starts to subside... for now, I can feel the joy vibrating in my body... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back