Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jan 2, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #2,642 of 7,711
My zx1 came in the mail today but unfortunately I'm at work so can't do anything until after. I'll play around with it when I get home.

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #2,644 of 7,711
I'm from the US so custom taxes work differently here. They provided an invoice marked down to around 20,000 yen or so however. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #2,645 of 7,711
  nice! did you order from price-japan? any customs charges?

We purchased three ZX1's from Price-Japan with FedEx delivery so far we have received no Customs charges, note that FedEx invoice you after delivery and this could take 4-6weeks, we are nearing the four week mark & have not received any news, though based on what Price-Japan put on customs-form we're expecting to pay fees of around £30 each, the bulk of that will be handling fees.

Perhaps someone who shipped via the EMS option offered by Price-Japan could chip in as that would of been handled by Royal-Mail.

Price-Japan are on average 15-20% cheaper than any Ebay seller.

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #2,649 of 7,711
Sorry this is a little bit of a DIY post of my WM-port LOD. Finally found an evening to myself with no kid touching soldering irons.

To answer @musicheaven
's question first...the wire I purchased was this :-

http://oyaide.com/catalog/products/p-4132.html

I thought the resistors would be the hard one to solder on but actually it was the wire. Stripping it was a little difficult but most of all it was easy to break (single core) and I broke the cables twice (R channel first at the beginning at the WM-port, which was ok, and 2nd was the Left channel at the WM-port -after- I had soldered on both ends, shrink wrapped everything, etc.....imagine the pain to have to open up everything again just to fix that up).

To buy this completed dock cable at e-earphone (without the Furutech FT-735 Rhodium plug) is Y15,000. In terms of parts to build this myself including the Furutech FT-735 Rhodium plug was approx Y8000, so I'm pleased :D.

Completed!

And thank goodness it works :-

Thanks Sean, nice soldering work :wink:

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #2,650 of 7,711
  ZX1 > WM USB out > m8 > tu-05 > th900.

Awesome.

Hey Woodcans, Need a favor from you, Can you compare your M8 to the ZX1. I am particular interested in the soundstage, I have read that the ZX1 has wide soundstage (out of the head) experience &  I love natural wide soundstage out of the head sound.

Which one do you think has a more wider soundstage M8 or ZX1?

Also which one is brighter? I & rudi alike, we love bright sound signature.

Jan 2, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #2,653 of 7,711

I would not call the ZX1 'bright'... it has lovely detail and extended highs, the bass is pretty awesome, I just wish the lower mids were a bit more forward rather than appearing to be slightly recessed.

Thanks OK-Guy, good to know it has lovely detail and extended high.. I am going to pair it with AKG 3003i..

just order it from Price-Japan. Backorder to 2 weeks.

Bought for several reason:

Bought it for detail and ext high
Hardware buttons
Support Hi res and Apple lossless
Its a SONY! - Got my first Sony walkman back in 1985, and my first song with it was Tarzan boy... The stereo effect and soundstage experience on the headphone blew my ears in the 80s, .. Never forget that experience. Love Sony logo on the player.

I am so happy that Sony got back into high end audio with a modern twist.

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #2,654 of 7,711
rawrster must be charging the ZX1 and transferring music...

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #2,655 of 7,711
  rawrster must be charging the ZX1 and transferring music...

I just got home so now I am. There's supposed to be a huge snowstorm coming so I'm hoping work is cancelled tomorrow so I can test out the ZX1 :)

The device definitely reminds me of an android phone with all of that bloatware garbage I don't need. The build has exceeded expectations. I thought it would be one of those devices where it is extremely prone to scratching but it doesn't look to be the case. I just need to buy a screen protector and wait for someone to make a nice case for these that hopefully doesn't cost $100. 

Also on another note what seems to be a good music app for battery life? I have poweramp already bought from my google account so may try that if the stock is no good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back