Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Dec 13, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #1,801 of 7,711
I've just received my ZX1 from PriceJapan.

I was affraid about one thing: Will it have enough power to drive my Denon AH-D600 properly (This is what I use as my portable headphones). The AH-D600 is pretty easy to drive, but with my Galaxy S3 and Note 3 simply didn't give the punch.. And this little gem does, it gives the punch like my Corda StepDance does, wow, I am so f.... happy :wink:

Just wanted to share :wink:
so they included an amp that is worth 300 bucks! That's another great finding you made. I have the Stepdance myself.

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #1,802 of 7,711

It really makes me feel good that I was able to help out anyone on this forum. You both have been a huge help to me.. so that's pretty much awesome.

Rudi- Your impressions of the ZX-1 to PHA-2 would be very helpful. I was *thiiiiiis* close to purchasing a Wagnus Epsilon S while in Japan, but never could manage to get out to Fuji Avic while I was in Tokyo a few weeks ago. I did manage to find e-earphone, Bic Camera and Yobobashi while I was in the country. Amazing selection of stuff. I could have spent many more hours in any of those stores.

OK-Guy,
 I'll post another observation in the PHA-2 forum. Would like to continue to understand your impressions as well, as I pretty much followed these forums leading up to your purchase (and then mine).

fkrieger... you not only sorted my PHA-2 problem but my PC one as well, since I used that link no more blue-screen shutdowns... I owe you a beer if ever you get to London.
beerchug.gif

My ZX1 arrives in the morning I believe and in a way I'm feeling quite trepidatious, I figure there might not be a big upgrade (if any) on the F887. Don't get me wrong I'm excited as I love the looks etc. but I miss my old Z1070 truth be known. The F887 is better than the Z1070 in every aspect but on some of my favourite music genres it leaves me cold, too much detail with no warmth if that makes sense, the firmware update has tweaked things slightly the highs don't seem harsh(?) anymore on certain tracks... maybe it's just a slight change in SQ to the WM-Z that I'm still not used to, who knows... things improve using the h/o with the PHA-2 as it adds a bit of warmth and incredibly more bass (not huge globules - h/o is better than line-out imo). I was going to buy some HD albums to see how things pan out with the Walkman's but I found some other albums that were hard to resist so I bought cd's instead, the only HD album I bought has underwhelmed me somewhat but I put that down to it being a 'live' one (Gov't Mule featuring Robbie Krieger(Doors).

http://www.livedownloads.com/live-music/0,9992/Govt-Mule-mp3-flac-download-10-31-2013-The-Fox-Theater-Oakland-CA.html

The way I kinda figure things is that I sold a £330 device and spent £800 to get the same sound almost (F887/PHA-2)... Head-Fi at it's best.
tongue_smile.gif

Disclaimer - I am seriously happy with my purchases, I was just expecting a bigger upgrade across all genres musically speaking.

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #1,803 of 7,711
so they included an amp that is worth 300 bucks! That's another great finding you made. I have the Stepdance myself.

I don't dare to say it is as great as the StepDance, it's also my first impression. But it just does the little extra punch (at least on the Denon AH-D600) which I am missing on my Galaxy S3/Note 3/Ipod touch :wink: I also didn't to AB with the stepdance, and the StepDance has more power...

Also found the first 'small' issue, when you turn the Music, video, games & other media to the max and start using the equalizer music starts distorting a lot, this can be easily fixed by sliding this volume slider a few steps down. And only use the master volume... (Note: I have only tested this with Spotify, yeah I am sorry, but I've just got the player and I was @ work).

Edit: I have tried FLAC with the official player and the distortion problem is not there anymore, didn't try other players yet..

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #1,807 of 7,711
I have a friend who has a ZX1, along with several iems, with which he has tested the ZX1. Not a head-fier, but he has this to say about the DAP and the iems that he has used with it. Hope this is useful to some members. For the record, I agreee with most of his points. In particular the 3003's truly sing with this player. Spelling not corrected, to promote honesty.

Soooo, here's a few more comments/impressions:

--the most beautifully designed DAP I've ever seen.

--fantastically ergonomic (the designers really are into DAPs or they've been paying attention to what good design and ergonomics are all about.

-- fantastic external/hardware buttons.

--very, very, VERY responsive (nearly up there with Apple's latest DAPs — well done Sony!!)

--a clear step up over the 'famous' X1060 (and A847 & A857).

--so far I've tried/tested the ZX1 with my ES3X (customs), F111, FIBASS, PF IX, K3003, ER4S, & EX800 / 7550 —— no hiss with the most sensitive IEMs (the first 4)!!!!!!!! All my 3 previous Sony DAPs hissed with my very sensitive IEMs. And no 'tic' (or was it 'tac'?  :) ) noise someone's been going on about with the new F88X series.

-- great to have 30 volume steps again (unlike Apple's 16 steps with the Touch)... and there's an incredibly quick way to fine-tune these steps depending on the IEM being used (read: depending on their sensitivity, which came as an absolutely great surprise)

--no bass or treble roll-off with any of my IEMs!!!!! The ZX1 puts the Tera Player to shame in several respects.

-- volume levels are similar to my 4G Touch (US version, ie no EU volume-capped model).

--still with no sound effects on, on the whole, right out of the box the ZX1 is a step up (not massive, but there does seem to be a difference in definition and refinement). I don't find it cold, analytical, bright, warm, etc. It simply sounds incredibly right and sophisticated (again, very early and veeeery quick impressions)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX  The ZX1 is the vest DAP I've heard. Period. Playlists is still an issue, but so far the pluses far outweigh the minuses.

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #1,808 of 7,711
Now that it was mentioned, has anyone played with playlist creation on the dap?? Playlist creation on x3 was /is impossible. How is it on the zx1?
Was hoping for my unit today but FedEx has not update the tracker for 24hrs now and is suppose to deliver by today with no update in sight -_-...

Dec 13, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #1,809 of 7,711
It really makes me feel good that I was able to help out anyone on this forum. You both have been a huge help to me.. so that's pretty much awesome.

Rudi- Your impressions of the ZX-1 to PHA-2 would be very helpful. I was *thiiiiiis* close to purchasing a Wagnus Epsilon S while in Japan, but never could manage to get out to Fuji Avic while I was in Tokyo a few weeks ago. I did manage to find e-earphone, Bic Camera and Yobobashi while I was in the country. Amazing selection of stuff. I could have spent many more hours in any of those stores.

OK-Guy,
 I'll post another observation in the PHA-2 forum. Would like to continue to understand your impressions as well, as I pretty much followed these forums leading up to your purchase (and then mine).

Thank you fkrieger
I haven't upgrade my firmware for WMZ Z1
If I upgrade to the latest firmware and I don't like the SQ , can I go back to the first firmware ?
Please advise

Sony WMZ ZX 1 :

Out the box sq is very good in term of detail , clarity and transparency and I love the fast speed from my WMZ ZX 1

out the box sound quality very good and until now still on burn in process

I like the clarity , transparency , detail , wide soundstage and fast speed

Sony WMZ ZX 1 + Sony PHA 2

High : more detail and body and better clarity compare hp out ,more natural
Mid : has better pronounce and sweeter , better clarity
Bass : better detail , speed and better bass impact and body
Separation : improve compare to hp out from WMZ ZX 1
Soundstage : more 3 D , wider and better depth

These set up need some more burn , totally 20 hours is to early to share impression
I love very much this Sony Dap WMZ ZX 1

IMO

Dec 13, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #1,810 of 7,711
Thank you fkrieger
If I upgrade to the latest firmware and I don't like the SQ , can I go back to the first firmware ?
Please advise

Sony WMZ ZX 1 :

Out the box sq is very good in term of detail , clarity and transparency and I love the fast speed from my WMZ ZX 1

rudi,

Please try ClearAudio+ and report back. Most seem to not like it, but I absolutely love it. Also, listen to at least 3-4 songs before you decide. 

regards,
-wc

Dec 13, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #1,812 of 7,711
Thank you fkrieger
Please advise

Sony WMZ ZX 1 :

High : more detail and body and better clarity compare hp out ,more natural
Mid : has better pronounce and sweeter , better clarity
Bass : better detail , speed and better bass impact and body
Separation : improve compare to hp out from WMZ ZX 1
Soundstage : more 3 D , wider and better depth

These set up need some more burn , totally 20 hours is to early to share impression
I love very much this Sony Dap WMZ ZX 1

IMO

Rudi, please burn this guy real quick will you? I need to know once it has enough mileage what you think of it with you current setup. I would also like to know the pairing with their PHA 2 amp. Thanks in advance, until then let me drool over it.
atsmile.gif

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #1,814 of 7,711
Thank you fkrieger
Please advise

Hi Rudi, I wish I knew more about the firmware. I don't (yet) have the ZX1, so will have to defer to others on any difference pre/post firmware update.

I know that rolling back firmware with Sony products has been an iffy proposition in the past (based on history I have read regarding "jailbreaking" PSPs, etc.) There is a large community that does this for iPhones as well. With the NWZ-ZX1 not being out long enough in the market to have garnered a large "hacking" community I doubt there is a clear method to rollback.

This said, I thought that I had read about a "root" of the Android-based OS already for the ZX1 somewhere within head-fi? If this is the case, and the Android OS has been rooted for the ZX1, then I would imagine that one should be able to "snapshot" the firmware out of the box and then rollback to that firmware at a later time. However, if you are concerned about not being able to go back to the original firmware, I would not bother to upgrade until the product has been out in the market longer and a "hack" solution has been found.

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #1,815 of 7,711
Thank you fkrieger
Please advise

Rudi... you can't go back I'm afraid... F887 update tweaked things slightly (I think), it's never a biggy with Sony they tend not to mess around with the SQ.

If you want to know about rooting etc. ask Sicko, check the Walkman threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back