Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Aug 7, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #7,006 of 7,711
I just had a thought about players like this in relation to a new UK law. We are now not allowed to rip copies of our CDs to FLAC or MP3. Neither are we allowed to make .wav copies of CDs. How then are we supposed to get our music onto these devices? Really they can not be expecting us to re-buy all our music in digital download.

Just saying because maybe the retailers and Sony, and other manufacturers, may have to reduce prices. Who's really going to buy one if you can't legally rip your music to it? I mean I know no-one will take the slightest notice of this new law. However legally Sony et al should take note.

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #7,007 of 7,711
  I just had a thought about players like this in relation to a new UK law. We are now not allowed to rip copies of our CDs to FLAC or MP3. Neither are we allowed to make .wav copies of CDs. How then are we supposed to get our music onto these devices? Really they can not be expecting us to re-buy all our music in digital download.

Just saying because maybe the retailers and Sony, and other manufacturers, may have to reduce prices. Who's really going to buy one if you can't legally rip your music to it? I mean I know no-one will take the slightest notice of this new law. However legally Sony et al should take note.

They've already apparantly said they are not going after individual users.

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #7,009 of 7,711

Is that to say then, that you can legally rip CD's to ALAC, AIFF, AAC?  Also, if you follow that to the letter of the law, there will be many releases you can't find even as a 44/16 digital download, right?

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #7,010 of 7,711

Is that to say then, that you can legally rip CD's to ALAC, AIFF, AAC?  Also, if you follow that to the letter of the law, there will be many releases you can't find even as a 44/16 digital download, right?

This is what I read.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3188779/Using-iTunes-UK-practically-ILLEGAL-Copying-music-CD-collection-violates-copyright-law.html?offset=0&max=100&jumpTo=comment-94840558

Yes I think it would mean a lot of music will be unavailable for portable players.

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #7,012 of 7,711
Haha yeah.

I have been watching the ZX1 and it has finally dropped in price to £445 in the UK on Amazon. It's been at that price for about a week so I think it might be a downward trend in price.

I am wondering how the sound quality would compare to my Meridian Explorer; (long story).

Aug 7, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #7,013 of 7,711
Haha yeah.

I have been watching the ZX1 and it has finally dropped in price to £445 in the UK on Amazon. It's been at that price for about a week so I think it might be a downward trend in price.

I am wondering how the sound quality would compare to my Meridian Explorer; (long story).

Been £350 used like new on eBay

Aug 7, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #7,015 of 7,711
Aug 8, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #7,016 of 7,711

Been £350 used like new on eBay

Yeah there was one last week auctioned all the way to £400. It was in mint condition. I think £445 is OK given you get a return policy and one year warranty.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Walkman-NWZ-ZX1-Silver-128-GB-High-Resolution-Digital-Media-Player-/291524240324?nma=true&si=DGqyW66iJMzdBK7Ieqha7UFSBb8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&rmvSB=true

£350 is OK. Still a bit steep though.

You have to take into consideration about the origin of the player, if it's not a uk model, it's not covered under the UK warranty, also warranty is not transferable, and Sony don't accept purchases from Ebay or auction sites. 

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #7,018 of 7,711

You have to take into consideration about the origin of the player, if it's not a uk model, it's not covered under the UK warranty, also warranty is not transferable, and Sony don't accept purchases from Ebay or auction sites. 

same counts for Sennheiser, what first seems like a bargain could end in a nightmare.

This has always been a problem buying a product through ebay or auctions, and stuff from oversea (including oversea models), that being said, Sony has always had the reputation as being reliable, I've used over 20-30 sony products in my life, and they all last me at least 4 years.

Aug 9, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #7,019 of 7,711
Finally addressed the gawd awful battery run time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back