Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Dec 10, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #6,587 of 7,711
After seeing how long my 64 GB takes to 'build library' (8 minutes) I decided it's pointless to have 8 cards that I will end up switching in and out all the time. I tried to cancel my NCIX order, but they already shipped. I will return them to the store and buy one 128 sandisc for now. The cost is over double what I pay for two 64 cards, but I'd rather have a larger card. Can't wait until 256 micro comes out. 128 micro sandisk will load faster and then I'll wait until sd prices drop before buying more 128 cards.

Did you ever compare zx1 to a10 series for sq? I wonder what the difference is. I admit that zx1 would be great just to have spotify streaming/downloading ability. Sometimes I am tempted but this unit costs $835 cad after taxes! There has to be an easier/cheaper way to get good sound, and spotify.

Don't have a A10 to compare however it's on my list of things to get. The only other DAPs I have seen that have android prices runs $999US so anything lower I see as a bargain.

Dec 14, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #6,589 of 7,711
  they marked ours own to $105 each... I bought the PHA-2 separately they marked that down to $50... you get tracking numbers with both couriers though FedEx is a couple of days faster than EMS, I've used both with no problems, hth.

How long did they take to get to you from when you put the order in? I ordered a PHA-3 yesterday via EMS and hoping to get it before Christmas.

Dec 14, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #6,591 of 7,711

How long did they take to get to you from when you put the order in? I ordered a PHA-3 yesterday via EMS and hoping to get it before Christmas.

FedEx takes five days... EMS took two days more mainly because it is delivered via your National Courier (UK = Royal Mail) so Customs takes an extra day, my PHA-2 was delivered in seven days... using FedEx is quicker as they also deal with the Customs element so bypasses normal customs checking.

for all... you will get tracking for either service from Price-Japan which allows you to track your item from country to country on route to you... if you have a unreliable local postal-service use the FedEx option, hth.

Dec 15, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #6,592 of 7,711

FedEx takes five days... EMS took two days more mainly because it is delivered via your National Courier (UK = Royal Mail) so Customs takes an extra day, my PHA-2 was delivered in seven days... using FedEx is quicker as they also deal with the Customs element so bypasses normal customs checking.

for all... you will get tracking for either service from Price-Japan which allows you to track your item from country to country on route to you... if you have a unreliable local postal-service use the FedEx option, hth.

Thank you for, that's very helpful. I guess it won't be here before Christmas but it's something to look forward to afterwards :).

Dec 15, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #6,593 of 7,711
Good day everybody,

I would decribe myself as an amateur in terms of [sound] quality of portable music devices and headphones. I am by no means an audiophile, but I value music that sounds appealing to my ears and am willing to splash out a considerable sum of money on electronics to get the best quality available relative to the money that I'm spending.

I currently own a Sony NZW-Z1070 which I am pairing to my Beats Studio 2.0, bluetooth. (Using a cable most of the time, though). I hope people will not roast me in public for being supportive of Beats headphones...
smile_phones.gif
  (Although I must say that this is the only product that I find extremely satisfying of this particular brand...)

Anyway, I'm thinking about upgrading from my Z1070 to the ZX1. As I have alway been overly fond of Sony Walkman devices, there is no other brand for me to opt for. Especially since Sony advertises this product as a high-end device compared to its older models. Long story short, is the ZX1 really worth the money compared to its predecessors in terms of sound quality? I would like to mention that I have the opportunity to get almost all of my favorite music as .flac files to take full advantage of this device.

Also, many users here complain about the internal amplifier being to weak to power bigger headphones. Some suggest using IEMs instead of over-the-ear headphones. Is the ZX1 still powerful enough to power my headphones with a medium impedance of 32 ohms? I can only say that I'm very pleased with the output of my Z1070, but I don't know how this product compares to the ZX1 in regards to power. 

Maybe I'm just getting a little paranoid after spending too much time on this forum, but I hope somebody can help me with this. And please be kind with me, English is not my first language.
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #6,594 of 7,711
  Good day everybody,

I would decribe myself as an amateur in terms of [sound] quality of portable music devices and headphones. I am by no means an audiophile, but I value music that sounds appealing to my ears and am willing to splash out a considerable sum of money on electronics to get the best quality available relative to the money that I'm spending.

I currently own a Sony NZW-Z1070 which I am pairing to my Beats Studio 2.0, bluetooth. (Using a cable most of the time, though). I hope people will not roast me in public for being supportive of Beats headphones...
smile_phones.gif
  (Although I must say that this is the only product that I find extremely satisfying of this particular brand...)

Anyway, I'm thinking about upgrading from my Z1070 to the ZX1. As I have alway been overly fond of Sony Walkman devices, there is no other brand for me to opt for. Especially since Sony advertises this product as a high-end device compared to its older models. Long story short, is the ZX1 really worth the money compared to its predecessors in terms of sound quality? I would like to mention that I have the opportunity to get almost all of my favorite music as .flac files to take full advantage of this device.

Also, many users here complain about the internal amplifier being to weak to power bigger headphones. Some suggest using IEMs instead of over-the-ear headphones. Is the ZX1 still powerful enough to power my headphones with a medium impedance of 32 ohms? I can only say that I'm very pleased with the output of my Z1070, but I don't know how this product compares to the ZX1 in regards to power. 

Maybe I'm just getting a little paranoid after spending too much time on this forum, but I hope somebody can help me with this. And please be kind with me, English is not my first language.
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

The ZX1 drives my PSB M4U2s with no trouble.  They are also a 32 ohm impendance headphone so I would think yours would be fine.

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #6,595 of 7,711
  Good day everybody,

smile_phones.gif

rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

I have the Z1070,and I would recommend buying a headphone amp and maybe better cans instead. Z1070 already supports flac files (and gaplessly). It's a pricey gamble when you already have a top-notch walkman. At least first try Z1070 with different headphones. that's what I'd do anyway... 

Dec 16, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #6,596 of 7,711
Finally, I am a nearly happy owner of a ZX1 too. :) But I'm having problems with the cover art which unfortunately still exists, especially for *.aiff files. So I decided to leave my explorer file management behavior and use Media Go instead. I deleted all content on the Walkman and I'm running Gracenote in Media Go at the moment that hopefully will solve my Cover Art and unknown artist problems. By now I have plenty of *.sfl files in my music directories.
Does somebody know if I can hide these files in the explorer without the risk that Media Go can't read/find them anymore?

P.S.: The sound is awesome. Yes the ZX1 is overpriced but the sound is very very good. In a calm room, the loudness is absolutely enough to conduct my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro headphones. In the bus I'm using In-ears which are absolutely loud enough too at the ZX1.

Edit: I wrote an email to Sony and explained the problems with the cover/album art, but didn't get an answer yet.

Dec 16, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #6,597 of 7,711
  Finally, I am a nearly happy owner of a ZX1 too. :) But I'm having problems with the cover art which unfortunately still exists, especially for *.aiff files. So I decided to leave my explorer file management behavior and use Media Go instead. I deleted all content on the Walkman and I'm running Gracenote in Media Go at the moment that hopefully will solve my Cover Art and unknown artist problems. By now I have plenty of *.sfl files in my music directories.
Does somebody know if I can hide these files in the explorer without the risk that Media Go can't read/find them anymore?

P.S.: The sound is awesome. Yes the ZX1 is overpriced but the sound is very very good. In a calm room, the loudness is absolutely enough to conduct my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro headphones. In the bus I'm using In-ears which are absolutely loud enough too at the ZX1.

Edit: I wrote an email to Sony and explained the problems with the cover/album art, but didn't get an answer yet.

I think this could solve your problem: http://kid3.sourceforge.net/

wink_face.gif

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #6,598 of 7,711
Thank you, well I'm already using Tag&Rename, see http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm. But this doesn't help, it supports ID3v1, ID3v2.2, ID3v2.3 and ID3v2.4 tags too and is much easier to handle for me, but this also doesn't solve my problem. You guys are not having problems with album art at the ZX1?

Edit: Ok, I got to the opinion that Media Go is still absolutely sh**, Sony still has no good software developer, it is as bad as "Sonic Stage" or "Connect" in the past. 50% of my music gets completely wrong tags through Gracenote. I buy my music at beatport, but the only company who seems to be under controll of tags and album art is Apple. I say this as a completely non Apple device user, that's embarrassing for Sony.

Maybe I should try iTunes again, otherwise I keep using my lovely Drag&Drop Windows explorer function.

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #6,599 of 7,711
  Thank you, well I'm already using Tag&Rename, see http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm. But this doesn't help, it supports ID3v1, ID3v2.2, ID3v2.3 and ID3v2.4 tags too and is much easier to handle for me, but this also doesn't solve my problem. You guys are not having problems with album art at the ZX1?

Edit: Ok, I got to the opinion that Media Go is still absolutely sh**, Sony still has no good software developer, it is as bad as "Sonic Stage" or "Connect" in the past. 50% of my music gets completely wrong tags through Gracenote. I buy my music at beatport, but the only company who seems to be under controll of tags and album art is Apple. I say this as a completely non Apple device user, that's embarrassing for Sony.

Maybe I should try iTunes again, otherwise I keep using my lovely Drag&Drop Windows explorer function.

I had problems with cover art too, and for some of my albums I still have issues, I'm just too lazy to fix it. I tried a few apps, like AudioTagger and ID3Fixer... With varying degrees of success. They did fix some of my music, but not all of it. It doesn't help that I have music spanning all sorts of types and formats, so there's that too.

Apple isn't flawless, but overall if you use everything within their ecosystem I suppose its usually pretty good. I will admit that music I've bought from iTunes is usually pretty well tagged with album art embedded. On my Android phone I use Poweramp as my music player and it finds high res album art where my album art is crappy or non existent, and does a pretty good job. But it doesn't embed whatever album art it downloads into the file, it just saves them into the folder.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful - you may be better off embedding art into your music on your computer (using Media Go or similar as you said) and just re-transferring across, since I found many of the apps I used on my ZX1 did take quite some time to process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back