Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jun 12, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #5,626 of 7,711
Some people need to have their opinions heard. Over and over again. And then some more.

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #5,628 of 7,711
I wish I could just listen to a cellphone and be happy, a lot more wallet friendky than where I am now...

Cellphones, after a certain point just cannot hold a candle to dedicated players - and this coming from someone who has gone through most top-tier handsets in the past 18 months, and still ended up with a dedicated DAP...

Good, but - not great

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #5,629 of 7,711
Speaking of which, did I mention, how much I love my zx1?

Ha! Well, that's much more tolerable than "It's not good even if you like it/it sounds artificial/my smartphone sounds just as good". Not that there's anything wrong with not liking a piece of gear...I dunno, things are usually crystal clear after the first time. Plus, nobody is ever really creative in the way they express their displeasure with a piece of gear - it's always heavily peppered with the audiophile jargon which gets really dull very quickly (3-D holographic fart noises/microdetail in my microbrew/instruments placed directly in my kitchen cabinets if I'm sitting in the 3rd row). People should be more artful in their complaints imo. Instead of saying it sounds artificial, tell us it reminds you of your first girlfriend, who, while being very physically attractive, overcompensated for her horrible personality by neurotically devoting herself to her appearance. I think I should go to sleep - I'm talking utter nonsense.

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #5,630 of 7,711

Ditto, it has really grown on me, and I have many other DAP's. The ZX1 is easily my favorite. 

I also agree with the comments on cell phones, good but not great.  
Maybe I'm old school, I prefer my music on one device,  and my calls/games on the other. 

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #5,631 of 7,711

I cuddle mine... 'Hello Kitty Sony'
tongue_smile.gif

>hello ZX1 sounded ummm crap<

Jun 12, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #5,632 of 7,711
I wish I could just listen to a cellphone and be happy, a lot more wallet friendky than where I am now...

Cellphones, after a certain point just cannot hold a candle to dedicated players - and this coming from someone who has gone through most top-tier handsets in the past 18 months, and still ended up with a dedicated DAP...

Good, but - not great

If I didn't break my HTC One phone I probably would not have gotten the ZX1 again. Well I mean the phone works but the screen is absolutely wrecked. I replaced it with a S4 and the sound is pretty bad compared to the HTC One. It's still not as good as the ZX1 to my ears but definitely closer than the S4.

I love the ZX1 however if I do wish I could go through just a cell phone as well. I have one of those really thin wallets too and it's still quite a bit of bulk with a dap and a cell phone.

Jun 12, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #5,633 of 7,711

If I didn't break my HTC One phone I probably would not have gotten the ZX1 again. Well I mean the phone works but the screen is absolutely wrecked. I replaced it with a S4 and the sound is pretty bad compared to the HTC One. It's still not as good as the ZX1 to my ears but definitely closer than the S4.

I love the ZX1 however if I do wish I could go through just a cell phone as well. I have one of those really thin wallets too and it's still quite a bit of bulk with a dap and a cell phone.

Phone in one pocket and wallet/altoids tin with iems and sansa clip in the other.  Combo works out great for me.  that way you don't have to put sound quality above every other feature of the phone you are thinking of buying. 

Jun 12, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #5,634 of 7,711
I'll take my ZX1 over a sansa clip+ any amp :) An altoids tin can is actually thicker than the ZX1 as well. I'm pretty happy with the ZX1 but of course like most people I would prefer a phone that sounds great at the same time.

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #5,635 of 7,711
I'll take my ZX1 over a sansa clip+ any amp :) An altoids tin can is actually thicker than the ZX1 as well. I'm pretty happy with the ZX1 but of course like most people I would prefer a phone that sounds great at the same time.
Downside is, the calibre of [C]IEMs you have, they'll greatly benefit from a higher end amp, the ZX1 (or phone) HO will not deliver anywhere near the true potential of them, so you're kind of damned either way :frowning2:

Jun 12, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #5,636 of 7,711
There's always a trade off. I use my Concero HP at home and the sound is definitely at a higher level than the ZX1 but I have a long and loud commute. Any gains from an external amp would be lost in the background noise and also I refuse to have that kind of bulk. I use to carry around a portable amp, dap and interconnect cables. It's just too much hassle for me compared to just a dap. I know I won't be back to carrying around stacks regardless of how good it sounds. It's just not practical for me. 

Jun 12, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #5,638 of 7,711
I think the zx1 sounds a bit better than my Note 3,rooted with v4a,but not much. I just prefer having a dedicated unit. Battery life is better, it looks sexier. I constantly upgrade my phones, especially now with T-Mobile Jump. I also mess with my phone a lot with custom roms, so having a good, stable, dedicated player helps.

That being said, the Note 3 with Viper sounds incredible. I am tempted to root my zx1 just for the viper experience. It really changes the sound profoundly.

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #5,640 of 7,711

Good, but - not great

Have you ever tried Blackberry Z10? UI is much better than apple & android IMO. Drawback is it doesnt support as many apps like the other two OS. Neutron is available for blackberry which plays FLAC in a breeze. Really nice listening with the Sony EX1000. Because of this player, I haven't bought another one in over a year. If it wasnt for the free phone I got with my phone plan, I would have missed this beauty. I's an amazing phone, even the gestures are quick and it does have micro-sd support!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back