Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Apr 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #4,636 of 7,711
In case no one has seen my question , I wanted to ask
I have 1 noob question , can zx1 or DAPs in general improve soundstage and imaging of mid-range iems , like RHA MA750  or DN-1000 for example , if not what else can they improve ? Is it hard to notice ?

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #4,637 of 7,711
I found this case. It is beautiful and can be customized.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/D5-EASECASE-Custom-Made-Real-Leather-Case-Holder-Pouch-For-Sony-Walkman-NW-ZX1-NWZ-ZX1/429058_1758478457.html

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #4,638 of 7,711
I have 1 noob question , can zx1 or DAPs in general improve soundstage and imaging of mid-range iems , like RHA MA750  or DN-1000 for example , if not what else can they improve ? Is it hard to notice ?

Mid-range IEM's will sound their best with a great source. It doesn't improve it so much as bring out it's potential. You can also get the same sound from using a decent portable amp with a cheaper DAP.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #4,639 of 7,711
Thanks for your info , reaching for the best sound quality possible in a budget is not my ultimate aim , so I'm happy knowing that DAPs can improve sound of my budget iem even not so apparently :D
I'm still curious how a  DAP like ZX1 or DX50 will improve SQ of a good mid-range iem , anyone has experience on this matter ?
And do you think buying a cheap decent portable DAC/AMP will somehow improve significantly the sound of that combo ? Around $50 or $100

I found this case. It is beautiful and can be customized.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/D5-EASECASE-Custom-Made-Real-Leather-Case-Holder-Pouch-For-Sony-Walkman-NW-ZX1-NWZ-ZX1/429058_1758478457.html

Nice find (just realize you had just created an account when you posted , are you trying to sell it 
biggrin.gif
) , totally customizable ! Especially attractive that it ships to my country for free hurray ! ..if only I were a fan of leather (or that blue alligator leather texture didn't hurt my eyes so badly )
frown.gif
I'm sure other here will appreciate the ability to change the case to their liking though

The thing is , I'm pretty sure this is clearly an imitation design of this product (different brand name, similar design) ZX1 leather case .
Judging by looking at the design , the back of the Chinese case is not as hard as that of one in Japanese site because the former is of 1 single layer and very thin , the latter is of 2 and looks solid , thick and not easy to be bent or changed shape/form . But I think it might not me such a problem , the point of both case is not to be dropped since there is a loop or clip in the back to attach to your belt/trousers . The price on the other hand is not really reasonable as I have seen many similar material cases made in my country are less or more that half that price (also custom-made)
Just for reference http://www.casauthanhvinh.com/san-pham/bao-da/bao-dien-thoai-da-ca-sau
most is about $28 (No one ships these oversea so I'm not advertising here)

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #4,640 of 7,711
  1. If I am listening to ALAC, does using DSSE improve the sound quality? And what is DSSE is it really a hardware boost or some gimmick?
2. And with ClearSound+, is it just some EQ? 

1) I'm not sure exactly how it does it, but I'm pretty sure it's a software based thing. It is advertised to improved compressed music only. I leave it off no matter what.
2) Correct.

But my ears tell me that it's very well implemented EQ. It sounds really good. I use it and it really improves the quality IMHO.

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #4,641 of 7,711
Yep same here. I phoned them today, my Zx1 will ship around 7th April. Ordered the pha2 from Pj, that will prob arrive first!

Spoke with Sony again today as they should have had mine on the 31st.

They couldn't tell me yesterday, but today they tell me its now due on the 8th April 
confused.gif
 so they say, but two internal systems have two different dates, so they don't really know.

Some monty python comedy sketch springs to mind ..... 
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #4,642 of 7,711

As an example, I just did an X5 review where I compared sound quality paired with my NT6pro CIEMs, TF10s, and Monster Coppers. What I found is that the X5 paired with some better than others given its signature and power rating so the pairing is important. However in all cases, the CIEMs/IEMs sounded better than I had heard before with my DX50/Clip/C3/Apple/etc, but the CIEMs had the most headroom to show the most improvement and take full advantage of the X5 capabilities. Overall, the X5 was good enough that the lesser IEMs - although sounding better than ever before - held back the full X5 capabilities. This is a benefit though as you can upgrade your headphones and not be held back by the DAP. If you want to see the details, my review is at: http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-high-res-portable-music-player/reviews/10579.

With the ZX1, I would be most concerned with the weaker internal amp. It will probably pair better with highly efficient IEMs like my Monster Coppers vs. my power hungry NT6pro. The efficient JH16s would probably be a wonderful CIEM stand alone pairing. The beautiful form factor and ergonomics of the ZX1 goes away if you have to strap an ugly external amp to it with a bunch of wires popping out.

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #4,645 of 7,711
I am considering using the ZX1 as THE source for my HUGO...

Since it run under Android, I was wondering:

- Can I install the Qobuz app on it to stream 16/44 quality music over Wifi ?  Can I play Internet Radios over Wifi ?

- Can I play iTUNE High-Res over Wifi ?

- Is there a way to expand the internal memory ( something like Seagate Wireless Plus 1TB  WiFi hard drive) ?

thanks

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #4,646 of 7,711
  I am considering using the ZX1 as THE source for my HUGO...

Since it run under Android, I was wondering:

- Can I install the Qobuz app on it to stream 16/44 quality music over Wifi ?  Can I play Internet Radios over Wifi ?

- Can I play iTUNE High-Res over Wifi ?

- Is there a way to expand the internal memory ( something like Seagate Wireless Plus 1TB  WiFi hard drive) ?

thanks

Yes, the Seagate Wireless Plust 1TB will work just fine.  I'm using mine right now with the ZX-1 to stream hi-rez files.  The stock DLNA will be able to do this or bubble UPnP app via google play store.  

Apr 2, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #4,648 of 7,711
  Can anyone tell me how 320 kbps Spotify music sounds on the ZX-1?  Better than Apple?

Should be b/c the stock amp on the ZX-1 is very capable given that you use an easy to drive phones that is.

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #4,649 of 7,711
  Yes, the Seagate Wireless Plust 1TB will work just fine.  I'm using mine right now with the ZX-1 to stream hi-rez files.  The stock DLNA will be able to do this or bubble UPnP app via google play store.  

thanks for the answer

but...can you still use the stock SONY player to play the music stored on the Seagate wireless or.... do you need to install the Seagate player to access those 'distant' flies  ?

and 
- Can I install the Qobuz app on it to stream 16/44 quality music over Wifi ?  Can I play Internet Radios over Wifi ?

Can I play iTUNE High-Res over Wifi ?

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #4,650 of 7,711
But my ears tell me that it's very well implemented EQ. It sounds really good. I use it and it really improves the quality IMHO.

I agree that it's quite good. It does add way too much bass for my already quite bassy Heir 5.0's for my liking.... but the extra headstage it adds is kind of addictive. :) I turn it on every now and again when I want my head to be blasted for a bit :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back