Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jan 3, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #2,686 of 7,711
Took some Hi-Res music round and listened to Fortis-Flyer's ZX1 today. Such a spacious and open sound, well extended at both frequency extremes. Listened with my bass-shy Etymotics, his Heir 5.0s and  Custom JH16s (holding in!), and two pairs of over-ear Sonys.

The opening bass from Muse's 'Panic Attack' in hi-res was so deep, tight and gripping while Supertramp had a lovely airy feel, never heard a wider soundstage.

The highlight though was a FLAC16 file I took with me recorded live in a small theatre, the Grammy Museum. Jeff Beck's 'Brush With The Blues' came over with such atmosphere, every clap sounded like it was from the person in the row in front or to the side of you, and the instruments had such texture. It's an overdone phrase to say 'sounded like you were there' and on most live recordings and equipment its nowhere near the truth. But this is the best I have heard a live track, very well suited to this great player.

Going to wait for any announcement at CES regarding an official UK release, otherwise its the F886 from Amazon UK (got to read that Head-Fi thread now), or a ZX1 from Japan. Can see why so many are happy with these.

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #2,687 of 7,711
Make sure that the UK released is not under the volume caps of any kind. I found that the hard way after buying a EU released Walkman that was inferior sounding to the Japanese & US released. The cap affected both volume and sound quality output from my experience.

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #2,689 of 7,711

Mine got through Swiss customs in less than two hours. Should arrive Monday or Tuesday. Lots of stuff to try next week with the ZX1 and PHA-2 :)

Welcome to headfi, sorry about your wallet.  Still looks like you've got off to a good start :)

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #2,690 of 7,711

Going to wait for any announcement at CES regarding an official UK release, otherwise its the F886 from Amazon UK (got to read that Head-Fi thread now), or a ZX1 from Japan. Can see why so many are happy with these.

Make sure that the UK released is not under the volume caps of any kind. I found that the hard way after buying a EU released Walkman that was inferior sounding to the Japanese & US released. The cap affected both volume and sound quality output from my experience.

Being impatient, I ordered the F886 direct from Sony UK & I'm regretting it because of the volume cap

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #2,691 of 7,711
  Took some Hi-Res music round and listened to Fortis-Flyer's ZX1 today. Such a spacious and open sound, well extended at both frequency extremes. Listened with my bass-shy Etymotics, his Heir 5.0s and  Custom JH16s (holding in!), and two pairs of over-ear Sonys.

The opening bass from Muse's 'Panic Attack' in hi-res was so deep, tight and gripping while Supertramp had a lovely airy feel, never heard a wider soundstage.

The highlight though was a FLAC16 file I took with me recorded live in a small theatre, the Grammy Museum. Jeff Beck's 'Brush With The Blues' came over with such atmosphere, every clap sounded like it was from the person in the row in front or to the side of you, and the instruments had such texture. It's an overdone phrase to say 'sounded like you were there' and on most live recordings and equipment its nowhere near the truth. But this is the best I have heard a live track, very well suited to this great player.

I got a kick from reading these in bold.

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #2,692 of 7,711
Jan 3, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #2,693 of 7,711
I've had mine for about a week - it was in the second wave shipped from Price Japan.  I can second pretty much everything that's been said here.  It's beautifully made, the buttons are great, it definitely improves with burn-in for at least the first hundred hours or so, I'm getting 25 hours or so battery playing Apple Lossless CD rips, and this one's for IEMs only - it will drive my HD800s, but barely, and they don't sound good.

It sounds fantastic.  It's head and shoulders better than the Touch 5G I've been using for portable (and the Touch is very good).  It's one of, if not the, cleanest, most precise and defined sources I've ever heard with IEMs (MG6PROs in my case), with I think the widest IEM soundstage I've ever heard.  I've just spent some time comparing it to the Touch/M8 and Touch/CCK/Apex Glacier combinations, and while they're all close I think the ZX1 is in fact the best of the three - it's just that little bit cleaner and more detailed.  It's absolutely in that class, in any case, which seems to make it a class of one: genuinely portable, fantastic sound, wireless for MOG and the like, decent storage space, and good battery life.  Amazing.

It does seem to sump the battery while in stand-by mode - something like 25% overnight.  Not at all happy about that.  Mine seems to have had a firmware update the last time I had in on the computer - the home screen changed slightly and I think it added some messages around the "power off" and "reset" button choices - so I'm hoping against hope that that's improved.  If not it doesn't take that long to start up again from power off.

Overall, really pleased. 

Jan 3, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #2,695 of 7,711

My body got thrill for some reason.

Its hard describing sound quality which is undoubtedly personal. But I got a thrill :wink:

Jan 3, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #2,696 of 7,711

Being impatient, I ordered the F886 direct from Sony UK & I'm regretting it because of the volume cap

How much percent is it down?  Testing the ZX1 today, I was at 80% volume on a few phones. Would the ZX1 also have to have the cap if an official release is made in the UK?
As there have already been some concerns with the output, would Sony not be shooting themselves in the foot if they made it unusable with some gear?

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #2,699 of 7,711

If you keep your finger depressed on a icon the recycle bin will appear at bottom left hand corner, drag the icon to the bin and its gone.

I don't see it. Are you talking about apps on the different screens or in the list of apps  you can select? Whenever I do that I get an option to put the apps on the different screens.

Also I'm glad to report that from what I've been hearing so far it sounds good with my FA-4 iem as well as my UERM ciem. My UERM is probably my brightest iem and I was a bit worried about reports about this dap being bright. I'll have to check when my V6 Stage comes back (should be early next week as I got a tracking) and my JH13 as well but the JH13 probably won't be for a few weeks.

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #2,700 of 7,711

I don't see it. Are you talking about apps on the different screens or in the list of apps  you can select? Whenever I do that I get an option to put the apps on the different screens.

I don't have either of my Walkman's at present but I'll ask Fortis in the morning... I usually see the icon on the screen, depress it and move it to the bottom left of screen & the recycle-bin appears (how it worked on Z1070)... I never touch anything in the settings menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back