Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Sep 25, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #137 of 7,711
Follows the pattern of Walkman releases in December. The original Z came out in December. The main draw for me is probably 128GB, but I am disappointed it does not have DSD support (which in theory could be added via firmware update).

Quote:

WOW O.o

Can someone decode the Japanese and compare it with the F880. Google translate ain't that helpful.

The translation I saw (non-Google) was pretty good. Looks interesting. Aluminum body, hump is for enhanced audio electronic stuff related to the amp, brass headphone jack, Triluminous display (like the Xperias and the Vaios). Android 4.1 (can't wait for the whining based on the moaning in the 886 thread; I'll bring the cheese), rated at 32h with 128Kbps MP3s, supports USB audio and the PHA-2,  Price is where I said it would be. no surprises here.

The real main page has some nice pics of the capacitors and enhanced power supply
http://www.sony.jp/walkman/lineup/zx1

Sep 25, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #139 of 7,711

You're right you're right. (You didn't have to edit out the previous part I didn't find it offensive). My browser's not working with their js so I didn't get anything when I clicked on the product page.

Still, at 760$ it competes directly with the DX100 and to a lesser extent the 901...even if it looks much prettier and much smaller, it better sound good at this price...

But the practicality aspect (they're usually generous with the battery estimates but anywhere near 32h is solid, to say the least) really puts it into consideration, which is a hell of a lot more than you can say for those small-scale boutiques.

When you really think about it, the price of an iMod with 128GB not-heavy-not-spinning flash storage added in (I'm guessing NAND, please do correct me otherwise) tacked on with an Android experience (which really isn't saying much at this point but just take it into consideration/context)...the price seems a little less steep.

Mind you it is still steep.

Sep 25, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #140 of 7,711
  You're right you're right. (You didn't have to edit out the previous part I didn't find it offensive). My browser's not working with their js so I didn't get anything when I clicked on the product page.

But the practicality aspect (they're usually generous with the battery estimates but anywhere near 32h is solid, to say the least) really puts it into consideration, which is a hell of a lot more than you can say for those small-scale boutiques.

When you really think about it, the price of an iMod with 128GB not-heavy-not-spinning flash storage added in (I'm guessing NAND, please do correct me otherwise) tacked on with an Android experience (which really isn't saying much at this point but just take it into consideration/context)...the price seems a little less steep.

Mind you it is still steep.

I didn't mean to be snarky. Bad night. You didn't deserve it.

I called the $750ish price a few pages back. I think it's in line with expectations.

Sep 25, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #141 of 7,711
Guys, any info about worldwide availability? I am speaking for all the poor fellas in Eu like me
happy_face1.gif

I thought they said it will be higher than iPod Classic which is 160 gb but that's fine 128 is my bottom limit so I will give it an okay. The price is a bit high as Mim said, it better sounds good like HM901/DX100.

USB out is wonderful, apart from Sony's PHA2, my heart goes for Centrance M8 too.

Lastly, the size and the shape definitely scream quality. I love it.

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #142 of 7,711
Wow...I'm so happy.  I'll be geting one for sure.  128 GB of Hi-rez goodness.  Sony is listening to us after all.  To be honest, I expect the ZX-1 to be as good as the DX100 in audio performance and totally destroy the AK100 as well as the AK120.    Wow...what should I do with my precious F807?

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #143 of 7,711
I'm a little disappointed as it 'only' has 128GB, I was expecting a little more considering the price.
The display could be a touch bigger as well, Although it does look fantastic and a nice touch with that brass ring around the headphone jack.

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #144 of 7,711
From the official Sony announcement. (In Japanese)
http://www.sony.jp/CorporateCruise/Press/201309/13-0925B/

5. デジタル出力に対応
WM-PORTからのオーディオ出力として新たにデジタル出力にも対応しました。さらに、ソニー製のポータブルヘッドホンアンプ『PHA-2』に対して、音楽コンテンツを音質劣化なくデジタル出力することができるようになりました。

My 'so-so' translation. :)
5. Digital Ouput
Audio outpur from WM-PORT will also supports digital audio output. When it combined with PHA-2 portable headphone amp, the digital audio ouput will be utilized  to minimize the audio degradation.

Wish there are ways to use the digital output stream to external portable. DAC.

Thank you.

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #147 of 7,711
Dimensions

ZX1: 122.8 x 60.7 x 15.3(9.8) mm

F880: 116.6 x 59.9 x 8.5 mm

IPC: 103.5 x 61.8 x 10.5 mm

PHA-2: 140 x 68 x 29 mm

M8: 127 x 82 x 33 mm

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #148 of 7,711
  I'm a little disappointed as it 'only' has 128GB, I was expecting a little more considering the price.
The display could be a touch bigger as well, Although it does look fantastic and a nice touch with that brass ring around the headphone jack.

128GB should be plenty even for hi-rez.  I own the F807 and it is super speedy at transferring files and scanning library.  Seriously though, the ZX-1 is relatively well priced compared to the AK120. 

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #150 of 7,711
I'm fairly sure I'm going to buy one....lol @ the Somes Saddle limited case for 25,000 yen.....reminds me of iRiver....but then it is Sony.  =P  This thing is going to have crazy form factor.  You can already preorder the thing, seems like if you preorder before 12/26 you get 3 years of complete warranty (dunno how good it'll do international customers).  If anyone needs help ordering this, can contact the proxy buying service I use......very reputable in every way and can help everyone outside of Japan purchase this without issues.....and oh right, the cheapest fees compared to all the other services out there and he doesn't have an issue helping with "creative declarations" for those stricter countries with high duties.

http://proxy.kolektakon.com/

Now that lithium batteries isn't a trouble in Japan, it's a no brainer.

I understood mostly everything from my Japanese/kanji(Chinese) skills for the most part, seems to be a killer player.  Going to have the wife read it over to confirm some things in the morning.  Thanks for the link!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back