Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Jan 5, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #1,936 of 2,024
Has anyone tried Xposed Framework modules on this thing? I'm specially interested in trying XThemeEngine to freshen up the interface. I'm afraid to mess something up though, since we don't have access to the device's recovery (which would be needed to uninstall the framework via a flashable zip if the player doesn't boot or something).

(sorry about the double post)

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #1,937 of 2,024
Has anyone tried Xposed Framework modules on this thing? I'm specially interested in trying XThemeEngine to freshen up the interface. I'm afraid to mess something up though, since we don't have access to the device's recovery (which would be needed to uninstall the framework via a flashable zip if the player doesn't boot or something).

You need to port CWM first, as the default one doesn't allow flashing zips.

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #1,938 of 2,024
You need to port CWM first, as the default one doesn't allow flashing zips.

To install the framework all you need is root access (and Busybox probably), the Xposed Framework app takes care of the installing/uninstalling the framework, managing modules (which are also apps) and all that stuff. The flashable zip is needed only to uninstall the framework in case something goes wrong and you can't boot the device normally. For this device, though, this means that we have no way of recovering if we get a bootloop or something.

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #1,939 of 2,024

To install the framework all you need is root access (and Busybox probably), the Xposed Framework app takes care of the installing/uninstalling the framework, managing modules (which are also apps) and all that stuff. The flashable zip is needed only to uninstall the framework in case something goes wrong and you can't boot the device normally. For this device, though, this means that we have no way of recovering if we get a bootloop or something.

The bricking part IS the problem. I tried some mod on my Z and it didn't work and went into a bootloop. Now it's just lying there collecting dust for the past 2 months. Maybe the new F or the ZX1 have a fastboot or some other side-boot mode, but no one has yet confirmed that.

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #1,940 of 2,024
  Anyone know of a 'search' app, that can be integrated with the Sony stock player that allows to search album / artist in the player rather than scrolling down the huge playlist?

there's not a search app per se (at least now that I am aware of) , but if you know what artist you're looking for (i.e. U2) and you want to get to the albums you've got on your Walkman quickly, then just (in the artist library) start scrolling as you normally would ,and you'll notice a little blue bar appear on the far right, then just slide your finger atop that blue bar and scroll down and it will begin scanning through the alphabet at a much faster speed and showing each letter of the alphabet as it passes. i have my device packed full (roughly 8000 files) and can get from A to Z in the library in (literally) a matter of a few seconds,its not a search function granted,but it is a super fast way to find what you are looking for,and what's funny is i had my F807 nearly three months before i even knew it had that function (a big Thank You to DrSheep who made me aware of it). hope that helps some.

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #1,941 of 2,024
Good to know. Might've just been my tinnitus masking it and I usually am just more anal about replacements. Welcome to Headi-Fi :)

Does anyone know the output impedance of the F806 and the Cowon J3 / sound quality vs stock Sony app + its enhancements / EQ / clearbass vs BBE and the other Cowon EQs / enhancements?

The stock Sony player does sound better than PowerAmp, especially the EQ section. Just overall sounds much more spacious / clearer / more detailed. Horrid UI and theme still though, IMO.

I'm thinking of the J3 because if I'm going to EQ, why not go for the one that many people praise (and that has better battery life, a microsd slot so I can put podcasts on one and music on another, and better enhancements)? That's if I can find one..

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://personalaudio.ru/raa/otchety/usiliteli/sony-nwz-f806/

rmaa + output impedance. (3ohm avg)

cowon used to be around 2-3 ohms as well. not sure about j3

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #1,942 of 2,024
I've owned Cowon J3,S9,C2,D2+, I must say the F806 sounds better to my ears than the Cowon's set flat.The Sony is rather energetic with solid dynamics, has more life to the music, more involving, I also find it has more detail and clarity. Sony did a good job on this F806 they mixed a decent amount of technical ability threw in a dose of PRaT then sugar coated thier house sound over the top of it all.

Jan 8, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #1,943 of 2,024
I've owned Cowon J3,S9,C2,D2+, I must say the F806 sounds better to my ears than the Cowon's set flat.The Sony is rather energetic with solid dynamics, has more life to the music, more involving, I also find it has more detail and clarity. Sony did a good job on this F806 they mixed a decent amount of technical ability threw in a dose of PRaT then sugar coated thier house sound over the top of it all.

Have you tried it with an amp, yet, using the LOD out? You'll like what you hear even more if you haven't, already :)

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #1,945 of 2,024
Jan 11, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #1,946 of 2,024
Excellent find, Doc. I might have to experiment with one of these as my in-vehicle solution. It would be nice to break my 807's 64GB barrier.

"If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters. " - Artstar

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #1,947 of 2,024
Thx, and I did it with my F807 and another Wifi HDD along with the Neutron Player it works great.  What, as I have said before, you can steam music via WiFi to your F807 from a computer with Neutron if you just want to test it out.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #1,948 of 2,024
Thing is, I'm using mine as an integral part of my car stereo, taking advantage of the limited (but sufficient) programmability of the Android platform. I prefer to use the stock standard Sony software for playback because it's easier to navigate while driving.

This is why it would be an experiment - to see if I can achieve what I need without having to go to Neutron.

"If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters. " - Artstar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back