Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Dec 9, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #1,922 of 2,024
Time for bed...
redface.gif

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #1,923 of 2,024
Okay, I've been trying to find a way that I can get LOD out if my F806 and into the E18's DAC... and here is a possible solution I came up with...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360499133077

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270833338082

Will it work?

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #1,924 of 2,024
  Okay, I've been trying to find a way that I can get LOD out if my F806 and into the E18's DAC... and here is a possible solution I came up with...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360499133077

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270833338082

Will it work?

Unlikely, I tried it with my V-MODA VERZA and no dice.  And as far as I know Sony lock the digital out from the F and we can only use analog.

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #1,928 of 2,024
Can I return to the original firmware

Unfortunately there is no reversing the process that i am aware of,i wish there was too as i preferred the old GUI,it doesn't change the sound any but i was just more familiar with the look of the original EQ as it was designed just like the one on my E series player.

Jan 1, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #1,929 of 2,024
I purchased one of these Sony Walkman NWZ-F806 from a Head-fi member, one of the units mentioned in this thread without a serial number. On arrival I loaded up one of my FLAC albums, an ambient album (Lustmord - The Word As Power)  plugged my Dunu DN-1000 hybrid in and super impressed with the sound quality, coming out of this little thing. Granted I've only listened for about 15 minutes to a few tracks but the detailing levels and ambience surrounding the tracks is right up there far as portable source goes.  I'll come back later after I've spent some more time with the unit, however so far a big thumbs up from me. Makes me a believer in Sony again. Once I've settled in I can give my thoughts how it sits next to Colorfly C3, but so far it's looking very good for Sony.  

Jan 1, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #1,930 of 2,024
  I purchased one of these Sony Walkman NWZ-F806 from a Head-fi member, one of the units mentioned in this thread without a serial number. On arrival I loaded up one of my FLAC albums, an ambient album (Lustmord - The Word As Power)  plugged my Dunu DN-1000 hybrid in and super impressed with the sound quality, coming out of this little thing. Granted I've only listened for about 15 minutes to a few tracks but the detailing levels and ambience surrounding the tracks is right up there far as portable source goes.  I'll come back later after I've spent some more time with the unit, however so far a big thumbs up from me. Makes me a believer in Sony again. Once I've settled in I can give my thoughts how it sits next to Colorfly C3, but so far it's looking very good for Sony.  

It's the one and only DAP that I've purchased since I joined this hobby a year ago. That's saying something because everything else I've purchased (HPs, IEMs, DACs, amps) have all been sold and replaced, numerous times, during that span...
tongue.gif

I'm really intrigued by the new F880 series, however, so I may eventually sell this baby and upgrade...

Jan 1, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #1,931 of 2,024

It's the one and only DAP that I've purchased since I joined this hobby a year ago. That's saying something because everything else I've purchased (HPs, IEMs, DACs, amps) have all been sold and replaced, numerous times, during that span...
tongue.gif

I'm really intrigued by the new F880 series, however, so I may eventually sell this baby and upgrade...

Indeed, F806 sounds great, I ran a few quick tests next to C3 and I think the Colorfly edges out a touch in detail, (ever so slightly), but it's very close, I repeat very close to my ears, and far above my expectations so far. The signature or Sony house sound is one to be taken in well, certainly the best Sony Walkman I have heard and the UI compared to something like C3's stripped sown interface is like being in Disney Land with the Sony.

I look forward to spending some time with them tonight laying down and relaxing.

Jan 3, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #1,932 of 2,024
Nice!!!

Honestly, at times I say why even bother upgrading to the F880 series if I'm happy with what I have.

But then again, that's this hobby for ya...
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #1,933 of 2,024
Nice!!!

Honestly, at times I say why even bother upgrading to the F880 series if I'm happy with what I have.

But then again, that's this hobby for ya... :evil:  

I continue enjoying my F806, I'm really drawn in by the dynamics and house sound, gives my tracks a certain atmosphere,the micro detail is better than C3, very good at picking out the little nooks and cranny in my tracks. I'm also impressed with how much volume I have on tap. I don't even go over half, it has s some power. And the battery life. I only used 15% with the usage yesterday. The list of positives keeps on rolling out. Actually, I have nothing bad to say besides a forward/back track buttons missing from the side of the unit.

I really love this little thing!

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #1,934 of 2,024
I continue enjoying my F806, I'm really drawn in by the dynamics and house sound, gives my tracks a certain atmosphere,the micro detail is better than C3, very good at picking out the little nooks and cranny in my tracks. I'm also impressed with how much volume I have on tap. I don't even go over half, it has s some power. And the battery life. I only used 15% with the usage yesterday. The list of positives keeps on rolling out. Actually, I have nothing bad to say besides a forward/back track buttons missing from the side of the unit.

I really love this little thing!

You have those on the F880.

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #1,935 of 2,024
Has anyone tried Xposed Framework modules on this thing? I'm specially interested in trying XThemeEngine to freshen up the interface. I'm afraid to mess something up though, since we don't have access to the device's recovery (which would be needed to uninstall the framework via a flashable zip if the player doesn't boot or something).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back