Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
May 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #1,501 of 2,024
Quote:
Thanks for the link, now let's wait and hope someone comes up with something.

Not in the near future.
Wasted 50+ hours trying to use multiple exploits to get my Z rooted. The ROM is the same as the Tablet S, but still, can't get it to work.
Also contacted DoomLord (a famous XDA dev.), even he failed to come up with a solution. ICS on either of the Walkman doesn't seem to have a root method.

Conclusion: Keep dreaming... :p

May 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #1,502 of 2,024
A couple of weeks ago, I got a 32GB Z-1060 from the trading forum of Head-Fi and I absolutely love it - it has replaced my CF-modded iRiver H120 - optical-out - Fiio E17 DAC combo for all my listening sessions.

I have a lot of music and I would like to get a 64GB version (I'd also like to try the ATRAC encoding that the Japanese models can use) - but I have a question; there is also a 64GB version of the F-series players (the NW-F807) - does it sound the same as the Z-1070?

The F-series seems to have a couple of advantages - it is a little smaller and the imported ones on ebay etc seem a bit cheaper the the Z-1070 but I would hate to miss-out on the brilliant sound my Z model has.

I've also placed this question in the Z-series thread

I would appreciate any input.

Cheers,

Andy

May 15, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #1,503 of 2,024
May 15, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #1,504 of 2,024
Quote:
A couple of weeks ago, I got a 32GB Z-1060 from the trading forum of Head-Fi and I absolutely love it - it has replaced my CF-modded iRiver H120 - optical-out - Fiio E17 DAC combo for all my listening sessions.

I have a lot of music and I would like to get a 64GB version (I'd also like to try the ATRAC encoding that the Japanese models can use) - but I have a question; there is also a 64GB version of the F-series players (the NW-F807) - does it sound the same as the Z-1070?

The F-series seems to have a couple of advantages - it is a little smaller and the imported ones on ebay etc seem a bit cheaper the the Z-1070 but I would hate to miss-out on the brilliant sound my Z model has.

I've also placed this question in the Z-series thread

I would appreciate any input.

Cheers,

Andy

No the two don't sound the same; however, they are equally good in my opinion but just different. The Z has warmer tonality and offers a more energetic presentation with punchier bass (due to slight boost in mid-bass regions I think).  OTOH, the F is more refined sounding to my ears with slightly less midbass bass but as extended in the low bass region.  The F has more laid back presentation offering bigger soundstage and better overall clarity.  All in all, it is depending on system matching.  Since I already own earphones with a slight emphasis on the bass and rolled off treble (JH13pro), the F807 fits me better.  Like you, I go ampless with these walkman as the stock headphone out is already good enough for me.  

May 15, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #1,505 of 2,024
Quote:
From what I recall in earlier posts/comparisons, the F is supposedly a bit more sparkly in the treble, and more open sounding. But it has a bit less pronounced bass. The Z is fuller in the low end and has a touch warmer sound... again from what I recall reading. 

Here's one post comparing both:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/625852/sony-nwz-f806-mini-review-f-series-player-reviews-impressions-discussion/915#post_8888931

Quote:

No the two don't sound the same; however, they are equally good in my opinion but just different. The Z has warmer tonality and offers a more energetic presentation with punchier bass (due to slight boost in mid-bass regions I think).  OTOH, the F is more refined sounding to my ears with slightly less midbass bass but as extended in the low bass region.  The F has more laid back presentation offering bigger soundstage and better overall clarity.  All in all, it is depending on system matching.  Since I already own earphones with a slight emphasis on the bass and rolled off treble (JH13pro), the F807 fits me better.  Like you, I go ampless with these walkman as the stock headphone out is already good enough for me.  

Thank you very much for your extremely useful responses, it sounds like the F807 would be a great machine to have - I will start trawling the 'Bay.

Many thanks,

Andy

May 16, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #1,506 of 2,024
new update appeared for me today in the store...for the the sony apps

after the update, w controller didnt worked anymore,.... when u try to edit the equalitzer it didnt react, and photo app crashes.... i mean What?

i have 32 gb version japanese and one of the special user ( have the bootleg one)

are this problem appearing bcuz i  have the unfinished divce or what? and is there a way to fix this? i already tried to delete the cash and stuff...but didnt work...

May 17, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #1,510 of 2,024
With the stock player I discovered yesterday a new feature. When playing a song with the CD cover visible and you press on the cover you get a ribbon of buttons above it. Yesterday, I swear, for the first time I saw a new feature.

It looks like a square with a tiny hole and a arrow coming from that hole pointing up. It means you can stream directly from the stock player. Pressing on it brings a new window up where you can connect to a player.

Unfortunately when I try connect to a valid player to which I want to stream, the stock player cannot connect to any, stating none player is found.

However once I got a message on my blu-ray player Samsung BD-D8200 that an unknown source is trying to connect to it (Sony nw-F806 of course :p) and I allowed it, but still F806 was unable to connect to it.

The there is also a "party streaming" mode, but from reading online I figured it only works with Sony products, receivers.

Anyone has more info or input to this?

I have firmware 1.01 (no serial for updating it) and stock player is 1.4.1. Yesterday I managed to update "music player" app (not stock player) to version 5.0 if that has anything to do with the new feature showing up.

May 17, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #1,513 of 2,024
Quote:
With the stock player I discovered yesterday a new feature. When playing a song with the CD cover visible and you press on the cover you get a ribbon of buttons above it. Yesterday, I swear, for the first time I saw a new feature.

It looks like a square with a tiny hole and a arrow coming from that hole pointing up. It means you can stream directly from the stock player. Pressing on it brings a new window up where you can connect to a player.

Unfortunately when I try connect to a valid player to which I want to stream, the stock player cannot connect to any, stating none player is found.

However once I got a message on my blu-ray player Samsung BD-D8200 that an unknown source is trying to connect to it (Sony nw-F806 of course
tongue.gif
) and I allowed it, but still F806 was unable to connect to it.

The there is also a "party streaming" mode, but from reading online I figured it only works with Sony products, receivers.

Anyone has more info or input to this?

I have firmware 1.01 (no serial for updating it) and stock player is 1.4.1. Yesterday I managed to update "music player" app (not stock player) to version 5.0 if that has anything to do with the new feature showing up.

That's DLNA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back