SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Apr 17, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #7,456 of 7,541
Good to read you can finally get rid of that volume cap. After nearly 4 years, I put my A17 through the wash last week :sob:

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #7,457 of 7,541
Using the Rockbox tool. It's been covered on this thread. Took me a while to figure out but I believe I've cracked it.... I think! Certainly seems a little louder. Plenty loud enough for me

Hello I have the Sony NW-A16 (METAL GEAR) like the one linked below. Can you tell me if I can change the langue from Japanese to English with this Rockbox tool? Thank you for any information, its been sitting in a safe for 3 years since I can't read it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-Walkm...871878?hash=item2aa4d24c06:g:SpAAAOSwNGRavhI1

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #7,458 of 7,541
Apr 18, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #7,459 of 7,541
Hello I have the Sony NW-A16 (METAL GEAR) like the one linked below. Can you tell me if I can change the langue from Japanese to English with this Rockbox tool? Thank you for any information, its been sitting in a safe for 3 years since I can't read it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-Walkm...871878?hash=item2aa4d24c06:g:SpAAAOSwNGRavhI1

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool
Yes, you can change your region and flash that regions firmware. But, I would suggest you keep it as a collector's item. It will only go up in value.

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #7,460 of 7,541
https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool
Yes, you can change your region and flash that regions firmware. But, I would suggest you keep it as a collector's item. It will only go up in value.

So you are saying if I flash it to "U" region it will change to English language for the menu? I have tons of Metal Gear collectibles, but this one I plan on using, and being able to read it would make that much easier :) .

I see a list of instructions under "Changing destination settings and sound pressure regulation" but is there any videos or other tutorials? I think I got it but I want to have as much info as possible before possibly bricking my Walkman.

Thanks for any help!

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #7,461 of 7,541
Few posts back,

yup I got a hard time doing it myself, the tool was changing the language and stuff just fine, but not the sound level. I've written it somewhere in this thread, but I think I ended having to apply a US firmware then change the location with the rockbox tool for the volume level to actually change.
I was playing a sweet little sine wave and checking each time that I was still on the same volume setting and checking that no DSP was ON. so I'm very confident that I did get it right in the end.
but many reported success from just using the tool and following the steps, so my issue doesn't seem generalized at all and maybe it was caused by weird torture previously done to the DAP, like trying to force the wrong firmware on previous updates. IDK.

you can PM him.

Apr 20, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #7,462 of 7,541
my post was about euro A10, I have no information about Japanese versions of the DAPs and how different they are in firmware and maybe physically too? as I said to @Atreides2001 (who, based on the avatar now rides the waves instead of sandworms), talking to the Rockbox guys is probably the most reliable source of information on the subject.

Apr 26, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #7,463 of 7,541
I believe I can safely say that the removal of the eu cap is a fact rather than a figment of my imagination.

I always thought the newer Walkmans were far lower in power compared to the older ones. Well I used to own the A818 my first 'mp3 player' 10 or more years. A beautiful petite lovely sounding jewel like device that I should never have sold. Out of nostalgia I purchased a 2gb (!) as new A815 for next to nothing a couple of years ago.

Well comparing the two the difference in output is a lot less than i imagined. Using my Musical Fidelity phones the max comfortable listening levels are not that different, the balanced armature EB50 is 15 of 30 on the old Walkman., 18 on the A15. Using the dynamic on ear MF200 the difference is slightly smaller 21 vs 23. Ear opening experience. Surprisingly I overall prefer the newer model. Considerable hiss with the olde A815, warmer but more congested. Very analogue sounding but a bit woolly when all is said and done. More precision and open sound with the A15. A surprise as ten years ago ago I could not imagine a portable player (with those Ex082 earphones) could possibly sound better. It was a revelation.

Apr 26, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #7,464 of 7,541
Should add IMHO I still think this Sony is still one of the best all round DAPs of recent years. It might not be the best sounding or most powerful (although it's plenty good enough for its intended purpose) with its slender form factor, nice user interface and great battery life combined with an excellent and now rare FM radio it takes some beating. As far as Sony's newer players do we really need a touch screen?!?!

Give me radio, a slimline build and physical controls anyday. It's a pure music player not a faux mobile phone

. It's a versatile player. With its now increased headphone output it is an excellent source for my portable amp. It is a nice digital source to my DAC and amp. It is a very nice sounding standalone player with efficient earphones and headphones. I'm bl""dying glad I own it as we will probably never see its like again, at least from Sony. A small simple high quality, music and function first,Walkman

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #7,465 of 7,541
the reason why I still use that little guy all the time and won't touch the A40 is because they have forsaken the podcast part. I spend about half my time now listening to podcasts and audiobooks on the go as my "read while walking" initiative. an initiative created to compensate for my new skill: "fall asleep after half a page in my bed". ^_^

May 1, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #7,466 of 7,541
If you have previously used the European version of this player then you will not be difficult to use the Japanese version.

Jul 4, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #7,468 of 7,541
Good to read you can finally get rid of that volume cap. After nearly 4 years, I put my A17 through the wash last week :sob:

Good news, It Lives!

I had disassembled it immediately after to let it dry out but just never got around to putting it back together. Battery seems to be ok so far, no bulging or heat while charging.

No screen damage or anything else apparent, which ranks it above the iPod Nano I'd laundered (I swear this isn't a habit) years ago... also nice and easy to dis+re-assemble as far as these things go, just some kapton tape that might need replacement, standard phillips screws, all of the cable connections are those ribbon/latch connector type, and the screen isn't glued to the front cover as on many touchscreen devices.

Recently got the Hiby R3 I'd ordered as a replacement, I guess I won't really know how good it is until I put it through a washing machine, otherwise it's a nice & small Swiss-army knife of a dap, but, have to say I think I still prefer this walkman (also HIby doesn't do podcasts/radio though it does have WiFi/DLNA/Tidal). I hope the supposedly upcoming A50 bring backs some of the A10/20 style & features.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #7,469 of 7,541
Recently got the Hiby R3 I'd ordered as a replacement, I guess I won't really know how good it is until I put it through a washing machine
reading the first half of the quote instantly made me think the second half. it's good to see rigorous people with solid logic around here. ^_^

I boycott Audible and their evil paranoid encrypted file system that's even worst than DRMs. if the paying consumer ends up more annoyed and spending more time getting things to work than the guy stealing stuff, the business model is bad! so as a result, all I have can still be played on the A10 and I use it at least every other day when I pretend to exercise. the screen is starting to look miserable and the battery doesn't last as long as it used to(but still longer than the other DAPs I have). to me this was a great purchase. I only regret the side buttons. anytime a Sony had them I'd use them all the time and I believe they're something to have. but so is podcast, I want more on new gears, not less. so until this little guy dies or someone makes what attracts me, I'm sticking to the A10.

Jul 9, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #7,470 of 7,541
21BA4B90-9615-49DA-BDE9-48C3270FA6A2.jpeg
I believe the A40 and A15 doesn’t officially have a Line Out through the headphone out port. I have lying around the house a WM Port plug which I bought years ago from China where one end is a 3.5mm female. I connected this to my desktop amp and I think it is Line Out or at least it is to my ears. The volume on the A40 and A15 then is at a fixed non-adjustable level.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back