SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Dec 29, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #7,441 of 7,541
Will the new 400gb sd card work with the Sony?

That would make it one hell of a pocket rocket. Simply thousands and 0000s of hours of high quality audio

can anyone plesse confirm that the 400gb card can be used with the A15?

Dec 30, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #7,442 of 7,541
Oh well.... should I take the silence as a no?

All I know is 128gb was state of the art when this little Walkman was introduced, I now use a 200gb card and am aware that 256gb works fine so maybe thinking the 400gb card might work is not too far fetched ?

It'll no doubt cost 50 quid in a year's time. These are good times in some, albeit very very few, ways.

Dec 31, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #7,443 of 7,541
Oh well.... should I take the silence as a no?

All I know is 128gb was state of the art when this little Walkman was introduced, I now use a 200gb card and am aware that 256gb works fine so maybe thinking the 400gb card might work is not too far fetched ?

It'll no doubt cost 50 quid in a year's time. These are good times in some, albeit very very few, ways.
I would just take it as "nobody has tested it yet".

Feb 25, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #7,446 of 7,541
I think of getting Audio Technica ATH-E70 in order to plug directly onto the A15. I tried them and they sounded superb, and taken that those iem's are intented for portable use the A15 should be able to handle them, but I'd like to ask if you guys think that it would be a waste to use them without an extra amp.

The E70 are "PRO monitor" type and said to appreciate extra power. They are said to sound smaller and less lively than they have potential to out of phones and portable stuff. Not a waste but probably below potential. Check with some E70 owners and what they are driving them with and have to drive them that may be close to what the Sony pushes out.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #7,447 of 7,541
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tri...ull-hybrid-iem.796729/page-1108#post-13491601
this above makes a lot more sense IMO than "pro monitor" arguments. what extra power do you expect to ever use on an IEM that reaches 109dB @1khz with just 1mW of power? for my usual really safe target estimation of needs, this is a passing grade right on the line. with around 115dB with the A15 maxed out(enough headroom in my experience to listen real loud).

given the FR measured into different impedance sources, it's very likely that using a close to 0ohm amplifier would have an audible change in sound compared to the A15(see graph in link). so it could be worth trying to check what we prefer(just one step on the EQ will have a bigger impact thought). jumping to conclusion on the "hard to drive" because one prefers the experience with what happens to be the more powerful device is really overreaching if we don't have more data. good old correlation doesn't imply causation^_^. having a preference for the more powerful source doesn't necessarily mean the change in sound was due to lack of power.

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #7,448 of 7,541
The E70 are "PRO monitor" type and said to appreciate extra power. They are said to sound smaller and less lively than they have potential to out of phones and portable stuff. Not a waste but probably below potential. Check with some E70 owners and what they are driving them with and have to drive them that may be close to what the Sony pushes out.
Are there any IEM's in that level and sound signature that would perform to their maximum potential with the A15?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #7,449 of 7,541
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tri...ull-hybrid-iem.796729/page-1108#post-13491601
this above makes a lot more sense IMO than "pro monitor" arguments. what extra power do you expect to ever use on an IEM that reaches 109dB @1khz with just 1mW of power? for my usual really safe target estimation of needs, this is a passing grade right on the line. with around 115dB with the A15 maxed out(enough headroom in my experience to listen real loud).

given the FR measured into different impedance sources, it's very likely that using a close to 0ohm amplifier would have an audible change in sound compared to the A15(see graph in link). so it could be worth trying to check what we prefer(just one step on the EQ will have a bigger impact thought). jumping to conclusion on the "hard to drive" because one prefers the experience with what happens to be the more powerful device is really overreaching if we don't have more data. good old correlation doesn't imply causation^_^. having a preference for the more powerful source doesn't necessarily mean the change in sound was due to lack of power.

It is more than just the power specs and there can be other issues. Of course looking at the numbers doesn't always tell the story. Sometimes devices don't match/synergize. As a Sony owner of MD and Walkman players and having tried out a few "monitoring" earphones with them, I have had mixed results regardless of drivability. I know nothing of the E70 outside of what I read but it makes sense to check them out further and for Polar1 to pick out some owners, PM them, and get more info. All that power them well do seem to love them but some call them hyped. I think more info could be useful and can just look at the numbers on this one. Talk to owners and try to get to the bottom of any issues to make the most informed choice.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #7,450 of 7,541
oh of course, my post wasn't trying to say the A15 is a god like DAP without any flaw or that some other device couldn't do better(when it comes to fidelity, many can do better). I was only pointing out that 1/ actual power was probably not the issue at all with the E70. and 2/ that the rather high impedance of the A15 was at least one of the likely culprits in making the E70 sound differently compared to used with other DAPs.

Apr 16, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #7,452 of 7,541
Confirmed!
Wow. I mean, great thanks. That's brilliant!

Just need to start saving/ wait till price comes down. Will be one hell of a pocket rocket, especially as I've finally managed to remove the euro volume limit

Many thanks

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #7,454 of 7,541
How did you manage to do that?
Using the Rockbox tool. It's been covered on this thread. Took me a while to figure out but I believe I've cracked it.... I think! Certainly seems a little louder. Plenty loud enough for me

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #7,455 of 7,541
yup I got a hard time doing it myself, the tool was changing the language and stuff just fine, but not the sound level. I've written it somewhere in this thread, but I think I ended having to apply a US firmware then change the location with the rockbox tool for the volume level to actually change.
I was playing a sweet little sine wave and checking each time that I was still on the same volume setting and checking that no DSP was ON. so I'm very confident that I did get it right in the end.
but many reported success from just using the tool and following the steps, so my issue doesn't seem generalized at all and maybe it was caused by weird torture previously done to the DAP, like trying to force the wrong firmware on previous updates. IDK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back