SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Aug 12, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #5,311 of 7,541
dropped it a few times already(like all my DAPs, always. I'm slowly reshaping it
very_evil_smiley.gif
  in fact the only thing I can't seem to be dropping, is the bass!
biggrin.gif

usually it doesn't care, but once it restarted, scanned the library and I had lost the informations about my podcast/audiobooks(where I had stopped in each). arrrrghhh! just as bad as losing the bookmark on a real book.
so now I'm scared of dropping it again for that totally wrong reason ^_^.

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #5,313 of 7,541
  Dr Meier quote :-

''With most headphones, increasing the output impedance makes the headphone sound darker and more muddy (the amplifier loosens his grip/control on the movement of the driver). However, some headphones (like the Beyerdynamic DT931) definitely sound better at 120 Ohm (which is an international audio standard)'

Maybe not just one answer ?

120ohm is a (silly) standard no one is following these days, and it comes from a bygone era (same can be said on DT931). Plus, if there is a way of doing thing that will make sure 95% of things will get done properly, then you don't want to change it unless you have a new way that can make sure 96% of things can get done properly. We are not talking about how to make just one source sounds great with just one headphone, but how to make just about every source sounds good with just about every headphone, or as close as it can be.

If you have the time, go to NwAvGuy's blog and read about output impedance. He might be a radical, but what he said is technically sound.

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #5,315 of 7,541

Damn, I thought Sony would use one of those strengthened glass for a 300$ dap. Even a cheaper phone has one of those nowadays.

Older A818 had glass screen, shame this does not

to me it goes with the smaller lighter DAP idea. sticking a screen protection on it does well enough for most non hammer related situation.
now why they don't provide the screen protection from the start? that's something that makes me a little mad. if fiio can afford to give us 3 on a 100$ DAP, so can they.

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #5,316 of 7,541
It don't come with screen protectors as no doubt Sony themselfs sell them separately as well as the "privacy filter" screen protector :)

Mine has a slight scratch but I'm not bothered, I see this walkman as a everyday item, that'll be used for a year or two then no doubt be replaced with a similar future model (256/512internal I'm hoping!)

I had my x1060 since 2009 but got a A845 for everyday use as felt the x walkman deserved to be used carefully :) it does still look great (inspiration for the iphone4 I've always said!)

I would of gotten one of the colour silicone cases of AMAZON but the look of this A series walkman is too good. Looks very "bang and olofson" :)

It's like putting on a case on a iphone4, goes from looking immaculate to summing not as illustrious !

Aug 16, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #5,317 of 7,541
Wow, it took more than a week to read this thread! Tons of good info.

My situation is this: ipod classic 160GB. 4800 songs (rock/pop-some blues/jazz). Mixture of MP3 and ALAC in itunes.
Pretty happy with sound but always up for an improvement.
I recently went shopping for headphones and couldn't make a decision so I bought both (B&W P5 gen 1 and Audio Technica ATH-M50X).
I do have concern about power driving these phones. I keep my Classic at 4-5 volume. Occasionally up to 6 for old pop/motown.
With ALL of that info, would this player be a good choice for me?

Also, I don't really have much interest in high rez and no interest in amping.

Thanks for any input!

Shane D

Aug 16, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #5,319 of 7,541
Wow, it took more than a week to read this thread! Tons of good info.

My situation is this: ipod classic 160GB. 4800 songs (rock/pop-some blues/jazz). Mixture of MP3 and ALAC in itunes.
Pretty happy with sound but always up for an improvement.
I recently went shopping for headphones and couldn't make a decision so I bought both (B&W P5 gen 1 and Audio Technica ATH-M50X).
I do have concern about power driving these phones. I keep my Classic at 4-5 volume. Occasionally up to 6 for old pop/motown.
With ALL of that info, would this player be a good choice for me?

Also, I don't really have much interest in high rez and no interest in amping.

Thanks for any input!

Shane D

The A-10 is an upgrade in terms of audio quality .. this is for sure ... and the PHA-1A would be a better and higher upgrade and will be my first choice with non- iem listening 

Aug 17, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #5,320 of 7,541
I think the reverse is true in that ZX2 is the one that uses the 'purer' soldering technique from A10, given A10 does released before ZX2. 'Thick' / lower resistance battery cable is of course something Sony already introduced on ZX1. Though given how small an impact between a slightly thicker and thinner copper, I have my doubt that it has an audible impact in the system. This is 'purely' marketing to me.

Thicker battery wire helps flow bigger current, which helps in transients and complex passages. Especially since current requirements tend to be exponential rather than linear as the system works harder.

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #5,321 of 7,541
Thicker battery wire helps flow bigger current, which helps in transients and complex passages. Especially since current requirements tend to be exponential rather than linear as the system works harder.

Where is the measurement to prove that A10 needs bigger current, or should I take your (well, nor your, but Sony's) words for it? Or in another way of saying it - where is the proof that the thinner cable is limiting the current flow, which degrades its performance? If cable is such a terrible media for current flow, why not just mount the battery directly onto the PCB with big copper contact? Surely a a thick and even shorter copper plate beats cable for current flow?

It is too easy to claim something to work, even if the underlying principle might be sound, then to prove it actually working. On the other hand, have you seen Sony's engineer giving a presentation that a piece of metal spacer (which is just used as spacer, not really conducting any signal nor part of the circuit) and how the sound of the metal affects their choice? That's laughable to a point of being sad.

11_Sony_Slide.jpg

Don't get me wrong - I like my A15 and probably uses it the most among all the DAP I current have. But that doesn't mean I'll buy into everything Sony said.

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #5,322 of 7,541
^ The copper plate in ZX2 is used for grounding the circuit, it does have an effect on the sound. AK did a similar thing with their AK240SS, where the only difference from regular AK240 is the grounding metal, which changes the sound. At least that's what peoples impressions say.

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #5,323 of 7,541
the M50x has 38Ohm, so the A17 has no issues driving them. Not just saying, becaus I have both at home.
Anything up to 60, maybe 80 Ohm, should be no problem to drive.

Sony sacrificed power output for battery life. 

Thank you.

Shane D

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #5,324 of 7,541
The A-10 is an upgrade in terms of audio quality .. this is for sure ... and the PHA-1A would be a better and higher upgrade and will be my first choice with non- iem listening 

So if I ordered the A17,and loaded it with my music, I would hear a noticeable difference with ALAC files and MP3's over my six year old Classic?

Thanks!

Shane D

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #5,325 of 7,541
So if I ordered the A17,and loaded it with my music, I would hear a noticeable difference with ALAC files and MP3's over my six year old Classic?

Thanks!

Shane D

The answer is a clear YES! Because that is exactly what I did. Moved from rockboxed ipod classic to A17. Nothing to regret here.
Only problem is that kind of infected me and now I am searching for the next step up... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back