SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Jan 24, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #2,341 of 7,541
I'm sure I've read that dsee hx upsamples to 24bit (88.2/96khz)
Hence why it creates high frequencys 20khz to 40khz.

If it was 176/192khz, wouldn't it likely create up to 96khz high frequencys? (As in over 40khz)

I've been using my a15 for a few weeks now, coming from a x1060/a845/ipod5+7/iTouch3+4 and the battery life is too good.

I'm sure I've only charged it once fully and probably about 3hours total topping up when filling the internal memory and 64gb card.

I've already filled my walkman up, 16+64, 80gb total, really disappointed UK didn't go with the a17/64gb model also/instead !!

Am eventually going to use this as a transport for a pha3

My z7 is on the way.

And have been using ex700/7520 in the mean time
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice about your geras, well perhaps yes it upsamples to 88.2/96  but yes i some how notice some subtle changes in my music esp older recordings like decca rendition of beethoven's piano sonatas cycle with asheknazy or Olli mustonen with duetsche grammophone but not that much diff to leave it on better off

I love mine glad that sony mexico brought the 64GB one and well i am the lucky one to have scored one before they are out of stock LOL again, i have been using mine for three wekks now and finally reached 100+ hours and i say the sound has finally stabilized (burned-in) and sounds impressive for such a small unit love the soundtsgae and how it's enveloping, something i could't hear on the ipod classic nor on older walkmans not even on the fiio x3 dap

Next friday I will oder the fiio L5 LOD to use it on the car stereo

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #2,342 of 7,541

If it was 176/192khz, wouldn't it likely create up to 96khz high frequencys? (As in over 40khz)

I've been using my a15 for a few weeks now, coming from a x1060/a845/ipod5+7/iTouch3+4 and the battery life is too good.

I'm sure I've only charged it once fully and probably about 3hours total topping up when filling the internal memory and 64gb card.

I've already filled my walkman up, 16+64, 80gb total, really disappointed UK didn't go with the a17/64gb model also/instead !!

My z7 is on the way.

smily_headphones1.gif

Me too! MDR-1A for a while first though!

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #2,343 of 7,541

My z7 is on the way.

smily_headphones1.gif

the simple fact of upsampling doesn't create "fitting" signal in the frequencies that weren't there before. only a DSP can do that.
my little problem with dsee is that the marketing shows how some 128k mp3 doesn't have anything past ... what is it?16khz?. and tells us that dsee adds some noise thing to make a smooth transition with what the mp3 has below 16khz and goes up to 40khz!!!!  the thing is, the marketing on this DAP is full of crap.
here are but a few examples:
-pretend like they care for the ultimate sound with the lowest noise floor, so they went high res and use whatever chipset to show us the noise floor is lower. but they didn't do a thing for the amp section that was already the noisy part on old walkmans. the A10 has one of the highest noise floor on a sony.
-shows the step ladder graph BS to explain what high res brings in resolution, when nothing in a modern DAP resembles the step ladder graph stuff. it's the most used graph by people totally ignorant of how modern DACs work.
-dsee should bring the file closer to the original, but on some songs you can hear a clear difference ON and OFF. so why do I fail an abx between flac 24/96 and mp3@320 of the same song?

as I said I really love that DAP, but make yourself a favor and don't trust anything sony marketing is saying about that product. they obviously know even less than we do.
to me dsee is just another DSP that changes the sound, some will not notice, some will like it, some will not. but remember that it's eating 30 or 40% more battery and does not increase fidelity.

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #2,348 of 7,541
You're right.  But a MDR-Z7 / PHA-3 combo is nirvana I hear.  Blew my friend's mind when he demoed it recently.  Want to stretch my 1A enjoyment out a bit more before getting the Z7 or its successor.  Man, I'm starting to sound like a Sony fanboy.

Quote:
Why bother with the PHA-3? IEMS and the 1A are pretty easy to drive. The Dac in the A-15 is fine...

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #2,350 of 7,541
the choice to use the dac part inside the sony or on something else follows no universal rule of improvement. you just replace one DAC by another one, so just like for the amp section, the question is to decide which one is better?
unless you have a great car stereo or you're lacking in loudness, I don't think I would bother going digital out. it's not like the noise floor from the sony is going to matter in a car.

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #2,352 of 7,541
Yeah that's wierd behaviour how the screen does this, I don't get it.

Thinking about it:

In a way it tells you that the DAP is in quick boot standby, and hasn't gone into a real shut down yet.

This is all relative to this huge runtime and low power consumption of this tiny DAP.

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #2,353 of 7,541
In that respect, it's like the iPod Classic where it's never totally off and is always on standby

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #2,354 of 7,541
it's like that on all my sony DAPs. the DAP only turns on for a few secs and goes back to sleep. it's of no consequence for the battery life and has never been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back