SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Jan 26, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #2,371 of 7,541
How are you guys managing playlists on this device? I created a standard m3u8 list and it works as expected, but I had to do something similar to what mrenvy suggested. I'm interested to see what playlists created using Sony software (MediaGo and/or Content Transfer) look like. I couldn't get either of them to work.

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #2,372 of 7,541
You can use nearly every program you want for making playlists.

The folder order has to be the same as on your harddisk. Or create the playlists with the files on the Sony, this will work also.
Example:
Playlist saved in music folder. Content of the playlist:
ACDC/Album1/Track1.mp3
Metallica/Album10/Track5.mp3
And so on.

In this case you have the album folders in the artist folders. Then it works.
It is the same on every other player...

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #2,373 of 7,541

C5 Series 2 sounds GREAT!

I don't own the RE400 HiFi Man anymore but I bet they'd be a great match.

My C5 S2 and sandisk 128GB mSD arrievd today. 
L3000.gif
 Thank you jmsaxon69, great advice. One bizarre thing about the C5 though. When I tried to use it with my vaio laptop, voice came from both the headphones and laptop's internal speakers... Weird.
confused_face(1).gif
  I solved it by using a 3 pole 3.5 jack extension cord, so no big problem.  
beerchug.gif

Update: Bowers & Wilkins gave me a gift subscription to Society of Sound downloads because of my purchase until June! How cool is that. 
gs1000.gif

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #2,374 of 7,541
hi all,

I'm using Samsung note 4 poweramp (pairing westone um pro 50) for listening.
Considering using Sony A15/17 as an upgrade.
Is it a huge improvement in overall terms? Sound quality etc.

Listening to mostly mp3 320 and some flacs.

Thanks!

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #2,375 of 7,541

The folder order has to be the same as on your harddisk. Or create the playlists with the files on the Sony, this will work also.
Example:
Playlist saved in music folder. Content of the playlist:
ACDC/Album1/Track1.mp3
Metallica/Album10/Track5.mp3
And so on.

I used foobar2000 to create a playlist directly on the device, but the problem there is that the file path references the A17 drive letter while it's connected to the PC:

Code:
 F:\MUSIC\Album1\Track1.mp3 F:\MUSIC\Album1\Track2.mp3 ...

So I just edited the m3u8 to look like this instead:

Code:
 \MUSIC\Album1\Track1.mp3 \MUSIC\Album2\Track2.mp3 ...

Works perfectly, and also allows placing the playlists on a folder separate from the MUSIC folder. There's a caveat though: it only works when the tracks and the playlist are on the same storage. So, if you do this:

Internal storage:
Code:
 \MUSIC\Album1\Track1.mp3 \PLAYLISTS\list.m3u8

microSD card:
Code:
 \MUSIC\Album1\Track2.mp3

list.m3u8:
Code:
 \MUSIC\Album1\Track1.mp3 \MUSIC\Album2\Track2.mp3 ...

list.m3u8 will show up on the player, but it will only show tracks from the device's internal storage. Likewise, if you put list.m3u8 on the SD card, the player will only shows tracks from the SD card.

So I want to get my hands on a playlist created using Sony software, and look at the file paths. Maybe there's a way to specify, in the file path, whether the file is in internal storage or on the SD card, so we can create playlists with files from both.

Jan 26, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #2,377 of 7,541
yeah I tried a few stuff last time the subject was brought up and didn't succeed. at best we would need to know what name the sony is using for each storage. but even then it's not 100% sure the DAP would allow its use in the playlist.
I've solved the problem by putting classical, and audiobooks on one storage, and the rest on the other one ^_^. I advise you to also sort them by genres that you're unlikely to mix.

Jan 26, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #2,378 of 7,541
I haven't tried the Sony yet - it's doing its way from HK as we speak, but I can tell you my opinion of the note output - it s##ks!

All my 5-7 years old iPods give me better signal & much more powerful output.

The thing is that using poweramp is tricky and can mislead you to think - hey, sounds great - but I don't like them playing too much with my signal as well, everything just blends too much killing any seperation of sounds that was ment from the first place.....

So I would say it's safe bet to believe a nice upgrade is just around your corner....

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #2,379 of 7,541
I just ordered two more Transcend 64GB microSDHC Class 10 UHS-I 300x (Premium) at $AUD45 each.  That will give me two more alternative sets of around 200 albums on each.

I'm wrapped with the Sony A17, it is so convenient and yields such superb audio quality if the original recording is up to that level.  On that note it is quite a jolt to suddenly hear an inferior quality track.

On headphones the Cardas earphones are far more sensitive than the Sennheiser 650s or AKG 702s and are probably the pick of the bunch here although I find them less convenient to use. It is necessary to concoct a couple of custom modes so each unit yields similar audio that is to my liking.

I find myself listening more to music via the Sony than via the far more expensive Meridian Sooloos system with HD800 headphones.  It is just so easy to use and does not tie one down.

So, my advice to anyone hesitating to buy - procrastinate no more.  Go ahead.
gs1000.gif
 You will not regret it. The Sony A series is the least expensive highway to genuine hi-end sound - if you feed in top quality rips that is!

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #2,380 of 7,541

You were spot on. I bought the A17 last Friday and I'm very, very happy with it. Also, for some strange reason, buying the player here in Chile instead of abroad is actually cheaper for a change - about US$239 according to Google. I had a hard time deciding between the MC5 and the HF5, and I recall reading comments similar to yours regarding EQ response. I might take the plunge eventually, but for now I'm good. Thank you!

If you do get the HF5s try to get a custom ear tip. 
it will cost you about $100 but well worth it.
The  tips are interchangeable with the  4PT.
It's as close as coming to full customs. I can post picture of them if you like!

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #2,381 of 7,541
Any reason to prefer the Fiio L5 (wm-port to 3.5mm) over the Fiio L16 (3.5mm to 3.5mm) when connecting the A15 to an analog portable amp?

Anyone really think there would be any difference in SQ / Output level ?

The L16 is shorter so it's a bit more convenient & also looks a bit thicker....

Thanks,
G.

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #2,383 of 7,541
Just bought Goodys A16 cheers Mate! I have quite a few walkmans including the E585,A865 and x1050 and have had the F807,F886 and Z1060 and I must say this little box of tricks beats them all,great SQ,fantastic battery life,expandable storage,APT X and digital out.I had my IFI Nano IDSD up for sale but will probably keep it now that it teams up with the A16,it also connects to the Dacmagic with the same WMC-NWH10 cable which I had bought for my F886 and which didnt work!The Bluetooth aptx also sounds good with Dacmagic which is also aptx.Very handy small player which you can take anywhere,its also plays louder than the 886 and if not quite equal in sq isnt far away,I needed an amp to make the 886 bring out its best and the battery was terrible.On the look out for the Japanese help guide translated into English although so far ive managed to find out what I am looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back