SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Dec 30, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #1,921 of 7,541

Wait!

The first cable seen by the Sony NWZ-A17 must be the ($58) Sony WMZ-NWH10.  You cannot use any alternative WM-port-to-USB cable.

Mike

well then i buy thtat too
mad.gif
, expensive thing but perhaps worth the money if i pair it with the oppo when it's released

Speaking of hi-res stuff... i have 3 ISO's of SACDs, and I normlay convert them to 24-bit/88.2Khz or 96Khz... butfor these i have i am still debating if i shall go to 176.4KHz or is better to leave them as 88.2?

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #1,922 of 7,541

Wait!

The first cable seen by the Sony NWZ-A17 must be the ($58) Sony WMZ-NWH10.  You cannot use any alternative WM-port-to-USB cable.

Mike

well then i buy thtat too
mad.gif
, expensive thing but perhaps worth the money if i pair it with the oppo when it's released

Speaking of hi-res stuff... i have 3 ISO's of SACDs, and I normlay convert them to 24-bit/88.2Khz or 96Khz... butfor these i have i am still debating if i shall go to 176.4KHz or is better to leave them as 88.2?

I'm sure the difference between 176 and 88 is obvious to you. I mean it's twice as much!
deadhorse.gif

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #1,923 of 7,541

I'm sure the difference between 176 and 88 is obvious to you. I mean it's twice as much!
deadhorse.gif

well LOL i tried sooo hard to check differences between 192KHz, 88.2Khz and DSD 1-bit 2.8MHz.... from CD 16/44 i can hear differences between 24/88 and 96... but is incrediblely difficult for me and i can't distinguish between 88 or 96 from 176,192 or 2.8MHz and up

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #1,926 of 7,541
I have no interest in resolutions higher than 96/24 - because I cannot discern any audible advantage.

Yes, saw the resulting flacs in 176.4KHz... beyond 35KHZ.... dead silence... infacct the uselful information stopped at 23KHz... the rest seems like a ppurple cloud in spek spectrum anayizer..... i think thats ultrasound

Futher testing and comparing to another version of those Handel concerti grossi Op. 6 (the sacd was BIS records) the CDs i have are DG.... turns out the sacds sound almost the same as the deutsche grammophone recording with Trevor Pinnock & the English Concert in the 1980's

threw them away and kept my DG CDs lol... clearly Bis records applied a massive brickwall filter at 23KHz 

Dec 31, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #1,929 of 7,541
To the more senior level audio experts there i have a question regarding how headphone amplifiers handle the signal depending on input ANALOG IN or DIGITAL IN..

ths question does not target a DAP in particular nor an AMP brand in particular, lets asumme the drawing as a black box model grossly simplified

so as i understand amps when fed can behave in three modes as i have come to understand, some amps may or not have a DSP processor bult-in so dashed lines are mean as optional component int he AMP architecture.

So here is my understanding on how different inputs work for an generic amp

A) The player detects a LOD (f.e. Fiio L5 or any lod for f.e an ipod or sony player), gets the song from the memory, the song gets converted to ANALOG via the Player's DAC, bypasses the player's amplifier circuit, when entering the portable AMP via AUX-IN it only gets amplified by the amp's amplification circuit.

B) Same as "A)" but this time the portable amp, re-encodes the analog signal from the LOD via the ADC back to DIGITAL, can or may not apply DSP processing, Converst again to ANALOG via the portable amp DAC, amplifies the signal to headphones.

C) the player grabs a song, bypasses both DAC and amp, in the Portable amplifier DIGITAL IN, the signal may or not be applied DSP processing, the signal then passes to the headphone amp DAC and gets amplified by the amplification circuit. 

Tht is how i understand how amps work and many brands only offer those with analog input meaning potentially doing DAC-->ADC-->DAC-->Phones

That's why i ask this and why i consider one that has a digital IN to avoid double DAC'ing

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #1,930 of 7,541
  To the more senior level audio experts there i have a question regarding how headphone amplifiers handle the signal depending on input ANALOG IN or DIGITAL IN..

ths question does not target a DAP in particular nor an AMP brand in particular, lets asumme the drawing as a black box model grossly simplified

so as i understand amps when fed can behave in three modes as i have come to understand, some amps may or not have a DSP processor bult-in so dashed lines are mean as optional component int he AMP architecture.

So here is my understanding on how different inputs work for an generic amp

A) The player detects a LOD (f.e. Fiio L5 or any lod for f.e an ipod or sony player), gets the song from the memory, the song gets converted to ANALOG via the Player's DAC, bypasses the player's amplifier circuit, when entering the portable AMP via AUX-IN it only gets amplified by the amp's amplification circuit.

B) Same as "A)" but this time the portable amp, re-encodes the analog signal from the LOD via the ADC back to DIGITAL, can or may not apply DSP processing, Converst again to ANALOG via the portable amp DAC, amplifies the signal to headphones.

C) the player grabs a song, bypasses both DAC and amp, in the Portable amplifier DIGITAL IN, the signal may or not be applied DSP processing, the signal then passes to the headphone amp DAC and gets amplified by the amplification circuit. 

Tht is how i understand how amps work and many brands only offer those with analog input meaning potentially doing DAC-->ADC-->DAC-->Phones

That's why i ask this and why i consider one that has a digital IN to avoid double DAC'ing

you may want to ask about that in the sound science section.
music is digital, to get into a headphone it needs to be converted in analog, and then most likely will need an amplification . that is always true and the only difference will be to decide which DAC and which amp. it can be in the DAP, in a DAC/amp or portable DAC/amp, or even inside the headphone if it's a wireless one. 
your B situation doesn't exist. well it could but that would be pretty useless to listen to music.
-the walkman does it all and you plug the headphone into it
-the walkman does only the DAC part and sends an analog signal to an external amp that will ... amplify it. there you plug the headphone into the amp output.
-the walkman does nothing, it will only read whatever filetype you play, turn it into PCM(because that the only language the DAC understands), and just sends that as is to an external DAC. that DAC will then convert to analog and send to an amp (in the same box or a separate one, it just doesn't matter.

you can also decide to do double amping, then you use all the walkman, and then send the headphone out into another amp. it's usually not ideal but also rarely a drama.

so no ADC involved here.

Dec 31, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #1,931 of 7,541

you may want to ask about that in the sound science section.
music is digital, to get into a headphone it needs to be converted in analog, and then most likely will need an amplification . that is always true and the only difference will be to decide which DAC and which amp. it can be in the DAP, in a DAC/amp or portable DAC/amp, or even inside the headphone if it's a wireless one. 
your B situation doesn't exist. well it could but that would be pretty useless to listen to music.
-the walkman does it all and you plug the headphone into it
-the walkman does only the DAC part and sends an analog signal to an external amp that will ... amplify it. there you plug the headphone into the amp output.
-the walkman does nothing, it will only read whatever filetype you play, turn it into PCM(because that the only language the DAC understands), and just sends that as is to an external DAC. that DAC will then convert to analog and send to an amp (in the same box or a separate one, it just doesn't matter.

you can also decide to do double amping, then you use all the walkman, and then send the headphone out into another amp. it's usually not ideal but also rarely a drama.

so no ADC involved here.

thanks for clarifying my question so analog input on the dac is just as fine too only amplifes, good to know no ADC exists

the first case of the walkman does it all is when using HP out
the 2nd case is pluggin the walkman via analog OUT and analog in of an amp
and 3rd case ins digital out digital in on the amp

perfectly understood

Happy new year

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #1,932 of 7,541

Yes, saw the resulting flacs in 176.4KHz... beyond 35KHZ.... dead silence... infacct the uselful information stopped at 23KHz... the rest seems like a ppurple cloud in spek spectrum anayizer..... i think thats ultrasound

Futher testing and comparing to another version of those Handel concerti grossi Op. 6 (the sacd was BIS records) the CDs i have are DG.... turns out the sacds sound almost the same as the deutsche grammophone recording with Trevor Pinnock & the English Concert in the 1980's

threw them away and kept my DG CDs lol... clearly Bis records applied a massive brickwall filter at 23KHz 

You are confusing frequency response to oversampling. Yes, music stops around 22kHz frequency wise because that's generally accepted as being more than enough due to human hearing range, however it doesn't in any way tell you anything about oversampling. Those are two very different concept. Oversampling is about, well, oversampling the frequency in order to push the sampling noise way higher than what the normal 44.1 / 48 sampling process will generate. Even with oversampling, the resulted frequency is still going to be lowpass filtered to 22kHz. Oversampling doesn't in anyway give you higher than 22kHz sound, but it gives you less sampling artifact. Well, that's the theory anyway.

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #1,933 of 7,541
Hello!

I picked up the NWZ-A10 64 GB at the Sony store in the San Francisco Bay area on Christmas eve.
Just opened it yesterday and really happy with it so far. The size and weight is awesome. The build quality is top notch.
The  sound quality is really good to my ears. Very detailed and clean. Contrary to what some folks experienced, my unit is dead silent.
I have the UE 5 and JH 16s CIEM and it sounds great with both. I have the AK 120 and Fiio x3 and from a soundstage perspective to my ears, it sounds just as good.

The UI is very intuitive and was up and running in a few minutes.

Now I just need to get a case for it and have been looking at the Dignis but it's quite pricey. Any other case recommendations?

I hope everyone has an awesome new years!

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #1,934 of 7,541
If you looking for super cheap then you might want to see this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QIEZ9CQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I already ordered but it will take 2 more weeks so cant say about the quality etc.

Jan 1, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #1,935 of 7,541
  Hello!

I picked up the NWZ-A10 64 GB at the Sony store in the San Francisco Bay area on Christmas eve.
Just opened it yesterday and really happy with it so far. The size and weight is awesome. The build quality is top notch.
The  sound quality is really good to my ears. Very detailed and clean. Contrary to what some folks experienced, my unit is dead silent.
I have the UE 5 and JH 16s CIEM and it sounds great with both. I have the AK 120 and Fiio x3 and from a soundstage perspective to my ears, it sounds just as good.

The UI is very intuitive and was up and running in a few minutes.

Now I just need to get a case for it and have been looking at the Dignis but it's quite pricey. Any other case recommendations?

I hope everyone has an awesome new years!

Happy New year for you too, from mexico.. post some pics of your new rig (the A10) pleaseeee
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back