SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Nov 25, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #1,426 of 7,541
Here's a random question: Is there are way to have the NWZA17 scrobble to Last.FM? I've looked into Zenses2 and QTScrobbler, but I'm not particularly tech-savy when it comes to these things.

TIA

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #1,427 of 7,541
  Just received the LOD (FiiO L5).

For SQ, I am pretty impressed. It is very clean and transparent, well suited for amping. It is however fairly low in voltage though, just around 0.245Vrms. Headphone-out is double that.

Thanks for the info on line out voltage.  All of my Sony Walkmen seem to have very low lineout output level as well.  My ZX1 and all of the S-Master Series are that way.  Agreed with you on those excellent line out quality.

Purk

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #1,428 of 7,541
  [snip]

If I'll to pick one, I'll say I like LO just a tiny bit better, as it sounds more life-like / musical to me.

Thanks ClieOS!  

Some amps can sound different with input voltages that are lower or higher than 2.0Vrms - even after volume matching. Of those that exhibit this vulnerability, they tend to get sound less dynamic with lower input voltages and more dynamic with higher input voltages.  So, I'm wary of the the A17's Line Out delivering only 0.245Vrms.  

With only 1/4 Volt rms coming from the A17 Line Out, a portable amp has to be eight (8) times more powerful than it would if the A17's DAC were putting out 2.0 Vrms. It's as if Sony has this unwritten rule that says, "Thou shalt not use full-size inefficient headphones with any of our portable DAPs or amps."

So, I'm back to considering the A17 only for use with the WMC-NWH10 cable - to pull a digital signal out to an external DAC/amp, while enjoying the A17's storage capacity, battery life, and awesome bug-free UI - the likes of which simply does not exist in anything made by HiFiMan, iBasso, FiiO, HiSound, etc.

Mike

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #1,429 of 7,541
  Thanks for the info on line out voltage.  All of my Sony Walkmen seem to have very low lineout output level as well.  My ZX1 and all of the S-Master Series are that way.  Agreed with you on those excellent line out quality.

Purk

... With only 1/4 Volt rms coming from the A17 Line Out, a portable amp has to be eight (8) times more powerful than it would if the A17's DAC were putting out 2.0 Vrms. It's as if Sony has this unwritten rule that says, "Thou shalt not use full-size inefficient headphones with any of our portable DAPs or amps."

That's typical of Sony, especially for their Japanese division. They are too in tune to their native market that they just ignore the outside world and instead rather adhere to their own way of doing things. All of their past Walkman and the accessories were designed to work with low voltage so they keep designing new DAP that only work with low voltage, sort of turn into a vicious cycle.

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #1,430 of 7,541
I think low output ipods becoming the number one DAP made this a lot less of a problem than it would have been in the past. but yeah when we expect a LO to be close to 2V on home systems, 0.4V can sound like a joke. on portable I don't think a lot of products actually have a 2V LO, I remember the X3 being mighty loud compared to most stuff I had tried before and I think that was about 1.7V.

anyway I never was troubled by this, in fact I came to first use an amp to be able to lower the volume(or at least have better control). because my DAP at the time was too low at volume 1/30, and too loud at 2/30 with my jh13 in a silent room when I would want to read a book.  but I understand that I clearly don't fit the usual amp user's profile as I like my music quiet.
biggrin.gif
(and that's why I hate hiss so much)
I love the UHA760 in part because of the -12db gain, and given how I listen to music I have nothing that would need me to go up to unity gain with the A15 in the street. not even the hd650(but remove the street this time plz ^_^).

it's more a problem for a few non portable headphones or for somebody fighting for the lowest noise floor ever.

Nov 26, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #1,431 of 7,541

Currently enjoying my jap A16 in blue with my sennheiser momentums over ear and C&C BH portable amp ...The amp adds a little warmth to the sound and catches all the detail.The player certainly amps well..

Nov 26, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #1,432 of 7,541
Hi owners of A10 series walkman :) Do you hear any hiss during playback?

Nov 26, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #1,435 of 7,541

Currently enjoying my jap A16 in blue with my sennheiser momentums over ear and C&C BH portable amp ...The amp adds a little warmth to the sound and catches all the detail.The player certainly amps well..

Hi... any issue using the A16-Momentum(over the ear) combo without a portable amp? I'm really curious as this is the way I'd go... 

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #1,437 of 7,541

Hi... any issue using the A16-Momentum(over the ear) combo without a portable amp? I'm really curious as this is the way I'd go... 

No issues at all it sounds detailed and clear with the bass coming through ...it just sounds better with my amp thats all 
gs1000.gif

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #1,439 of 7,541

thanks.. my only concern is about a lack of juice using the A15-Momentum combo due to its EU volume cap... and I just sold my graham slee voyager 
rolleyes.gif

Yep i had the euro version the volume was definitely capped on it to my ears i sent it straight back....The asian and japanese version should be alright there is plenty of juice to drive my momentums .....but to get that little bit extra get an amp,although there is not much difference for me it gives me a nice defined bass..  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back