SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Nov 7, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #1,096 of 7,541
  I'm always curious about those file format sounding different. I'm usually known for being a grumpy guy too picky about anything. from signature change with a little impedance on the source, to hiss levels that most people never hear. but anytime I ABx, mp3 or aac at max bitrates, I can't really seem to pass 55-60% accuracy. and I have some experience at doing this and know what to "look for" at least for mp3. meaning a few times, there is a little something I get, and the rest of the time it's just random guess. so I'm really curious how that can translate into someone thinking it's no good while on the move with portable gears, ambient noise, footstep noises, sometimes cable noise?
I'm not saying don't use flac! flac is better, at least measurably better, and that is be more than enough to justify it. but I really wonder how many people saying they can tell mp3 is no good, can actually hear it when it's encoded @320bps with lame?

about atrack, I would convert it back to wave and make some flac with it. it's like alac, it served no purpose except coerce you into buying from the same company again and again from fear of compatibility issues with another brand.

super secret part (you can't read if you don't know the secret password. or just read it):
I've been playing with the X3 for 3days, I'll write something about the X1 next week, but on sound alone, they seem to be a lot alike(no the X1 isn't warmer). making the X1 the best choice if you only consider money/sound.
it's an amazing deal at 100$, but I still think many people would go mad over FIIO's UI, or at least would need to work on their music library(naming/tagging), and I sure won't sell my A15.

also here's a lolilol tests. with recorded noise here is what I read as max volumes(the noise is recorded at -13db on my file):
the values in DB are meaningless by themselves I just set my computer to get a max close to the zero value. what matters is the difference from one measure to another.

X1 -8db @ volume 88(when EQ is ON, that's the max possible volume setting).  or -2db @volume100.

clip+ -4db @ volume 6 and -10db vol 0.

A15 -14db @ volume 30 (no DSP no nothing!!). it went to -6db with dynamic normalizer(sony's own replaygain kind of thing)
and it could go to -3db with all EQ sliders maxed out. not that I recommend doing that to go louder at all!!! it's just to show that sony keeps the music at -3db by default just in case you'll use the EQ.
keep in mind that the gain from the normalizer depends on the track loudness itself, that's why I mention the noise being recorded at -13db.

A867 -10db or -2db with dynamic normalizer.

10db louder is what we consider twice as loud. So here you have it. by default the X1 is more than twice as loud, but here we ended up with only 4db louder when the recording level is dealt with by sony's normalizer.  so all in all max gains aren't all that different.
ps: why nobody does that for DAPs? instead we're swimming in urban legends and subjective opinions.

now about power itself, my little science for dummies test doesn't say anything about it, so don't misunderstand. at least on paper, the X1 has more power available for headphones(loudness is voltage, power is power). still they also don't recommend using more than 100ohm's headphones, so it's not a X3/X5 kind of monster.

so now you can make predictions if you have any of those 3 about max loudness that almost nobody will ever need.
tongue.gif
not sure how usefull it is but it was easy enough to test.

@AUDIOBREEDER if you don't see the benefits of a smaller DAP and battery, I also suggest you keep the Z.

truth has been spoken
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #1,097 of 7,541
krkrkrkrkrkrkr <= (sound of me laughing)
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #1,098 of 7,541
I should have my A15 by Sunday (it is sitting in the local Sony store but I don't have time to collect it). I can do some basic measurement (max voltage / current / output impedance / etc) then if anyone is interested.

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #1,099 of 7,541
  I should have my A15 by Sunday (it is sitting in the local Sony store but I don't have time to collect it). I can do some basic measurement (max voltage / current / output impedance / etc) then if anyone is interested.

It will be hugely appreciated.Please.
L3000.gif

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #1,100 of 7,541

yes please. I can play pretend that I RMAA and other stuff, but I only have a mic input on a laptop...  so results have to be tremendously bad to even show up in the middle of all crap from my input. ^_^

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #1,106 of 7,541
So how does the Fiio X3 compare to the nwz a10?, the general consensus seems to be that the x3 is better in terms of raw sq and I for one do not mind the utilitarian design of the X3 and I only really need around 10hrs, but I do find the UI to be pretty clunky, especially compared to the superlative walkman UI, and I do like the sleek design, so is the SQ that much different with iems where power is of less concern?, Also I`m really prone to hiss as I like low volume playback with iems, how does hiss compare?, I`m really concerned that I will regret buying the a10 if it doesn`t sound that much better than my iPod touch 4 or HTC M8, also it has no USB DAC function so its technically less value than the X3, any help would be appreciated, thanks. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #1,107 of 7,541
  So how does the Fiio X3 compare to the nwz a10?, the general consensus seems to be that the x3 is better in terms of raw sq and I for one do not mind the utilitarian design of the X3 and I only really need around 10hrs, but I do find the UI to be pretty clunky, especially compared to the superlative walkman UI, and I do like the sleek design, so is the SQ that much different with iems where power is of less concern?, Also I`m really prone to hiss as I like low volume playback with iems, how does hiss compare?, I`m really concerned that I will regret buying the a10 if it doesn`t sound that much better than my iPod touch 4 or HTC M8, also it has no USB DAC function so its technically less value than the X3, any help would be appreciated, thanks. 

it looks like you already made your choice.
wink_face.gif

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #1,108 of 7,541
Ha, true that, I will admit that I am leaning towards the X3, but from my brief demo it didn`t nearly seem as polished as the a10, but I only got to try out the UI on both as it was very noisy and I understandably couldn`t hear hiss, micro detail, etc, but definitely still considering the Sony, just very conflicted about it....

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #1,109 of 7,541
  Ha, true that, I will admit that I am leaning towards the X3, but from my brief demo it didn`t nearly seem as polished as the a10, but I only got to try out the UI on both as it was very noisy and I understandably couldn`t hear hiss, micro detail, etc, but definitely still considering the Sony, just very conflicted about it....

I personally like the sound of my A17 better than the Fiio X3.  The X3 may sounds more powerful in the bass at first but it is more colored and too dark sounding out of my JH13pro.  Its bass response also bleed into the midrange.  My A17 OTOH sounds cleaner and has better details.  If you have an easy to drive CIEMs and want a cleaner sounding DAP, then go with the Sony.  The X3 may suit you better if you demand stronger amp and own a brighter and leaner sounding phones.  The UI is way better on the Sony.  I also own the X5 and like the A17 nearly as much.  Note that the X5 to my ears are clearly better than the X3.  However, its overall tonality is still a tad dark for my liking.    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back