SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Oct 31, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #856 of 7,541

sure it is, they use one chip to do a bunch of things (it's written in big on any sony DAP adds btw) so that they don't need a real amp section. anyway the result is indeed different from your usual dac-amp job on DAPs. that's what we've been complaining about for some times with Sardar. because we feel like they fight the wrong battle and could get a much better DAP with even a poor op-amp implementation instead of all that digital amp bullsh...
at least that way we get great battery so I'm ok with that in the end for portable. sardar is really not ok with it ^_^.

but you would do well not to fall for the DAC chip's name fever. anything in the way a chip is implemented will change the signal a lot more than using 2 chips with the ideal implementation for both. the house sound thing is a legend coming from implementation difficulties the DAP manufacturers didn't even try to overcome. when done well DAC chips are all able to be perfectly transparent. and I'm talking even about some several years old chipsets.
the amp section of a DAP on the other hand is almost always crap, because of the component used or because the DAP can't provide the juice with its small battery. in both situations it's often a quality sacrifice to gain space for a small form factor(and why something like a hugo or a X5 have no problem fitting whatever is needed, because they're huge). that's why there is often a good margin for improvement using a not too shabby portable amp. using a line out we're not making the sound better, we're decrapifying it ^_^.
still with something like my MC5 IEMs, it makes zero audible difference if I add my amp to it, so the sound is clean enough, it will just not be powerful enough(voltage or current) for some headphones and IEMS. with my jh13 I get a clear difference with the amp, but that's also probably due to impedance output differences. another problem for particular IEMs.
so again know what your headphone needs is the very first step.

I have 0 comments to make on sq till a credible review is out comparing it to x1 and x3.
As for x5,dx90 we know the answer already.

However whats a fact is that the power of this player is not good enough,,,a bit better would have been appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #858 of 7,541
The battery life sure is incredible, still going since I bought it and fully charged it last week.

plus i love the walkman eq..........thats the one reason i love this thing.

Btw my brother got x1 yesterday and says its bulky and dosen't fit in jeans
eek.gif
He was pretty happy with e-474 walkman i gave him

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #860 of 7,541
Anyone in Europe purchased it? Last time i get a Sony player in EU there was this "maximum volume" issue because Sony is following the EU Regulations.

Maybe this time they added a way to change the region settings? Can anyone confirm? Thanks!

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #861 of 7,541
sure it is, they use one chip to do a bunch of things (it's written in big on any sony DAP adds btw) so that they don't need a real amp section. anyway the result is indeed different from your usual dac-amp job on DAPs. that's what we've been complaining about for some times with Sardar. because we feel like they fight the wrong battle and could get a much better DAP with even a poor op-amp implementation instead of all that digital amp bullsh...
at least that way we get great battery so I'm ok with that in the end for portable. sardar is really not ok with it ^_^.

but you would do well not to fall for the DAC chip's name fever. anything in the way a chip is implemented will change the signal a lot more than using 2 chips with the ideal implementation for both. the house sound thing is a legend coming from implementation difficulties the DAP manufacturers didn't even try to overcome. when done well DAC chips are all able to be perfectly transparent. and I'm talking even about some several years old chipsets.
the amp section of a DAP on the other hand is almost always crap, because of the component used or because the DAP can't provide the juice with its small battery. in both situations it's often a quality sacrifice to gain space for a small form factor(and why something like a hugo or a X5 have no problem fitting whatever is needed, because they're huge). that's why there is often a good margin for improvement using a not too shabby portable amp. using a line out we're not making the sound better, we're decrapifying it ^_^.
still with something like my MC5 IEMs, it makes zero audible difference if I add my amp to it, so the sound is clean enough, it will just not be powerful enough(voltage or current) for some headphones and IEMS. with my jh13 I get a clear difference with the amp, but that's also probably due to impedance output differences. another problem for particular IEMs.
so again know what your headphone needs is the very first step.

I definitely did not believe all their S master digital crap. What i want to know is whether it sounds good, and i feel that this could be better for the price. Its $50 more expensive than the X3 in Singapore, and the X3 is better, and at $50 more you can get the iBasso DX50

Oct 31, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #862 of 7,541
  has anyone been able to confirm if the japanese versions have an english language option presented at setup?

no english on the jp model.

Anyone in Europe purchased it? Last time i get a Sony player in EU there was this "maximum volume" issue because Sony is following the EU Regulations.

Maybe this time they added a way to change the region settings? Can anyone confirm? Thanks!

answer above should make your choice easier this time ^_^

Oct 31, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #863 of 7,541
S master is a class D amp,generally reviews are not very positive.

On x3 or dx50 untill someone posts a review we cannot comments.On paper those look ahead in sq.Sony is better in all other departments.

Oct 31, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #864 of 7,541
Reviews of what ? Most of sony player have been generally favorably received iirc , like actual review not someone reading spec sheet than shouting everywhere on parade that it is the worst thing imaginable

Oct 31, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #865 of 7,541
yeah,who said its the worst thing imaginable?

that would be my clip+,e6 combo,lol

Oct 31, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #866 of 7,541
Well, I just spent a frustrating hour on the internet looking if I could order the 64GB player shipping to the Netherlands.
Couldn't find a single store, only the 16GB is available.
Anybody has a tip where to get the 64GB?

Oct 31, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #867 of 7,541
why not buy a micro sd instead,its cheaper option and swappable with multiple devices.

Oct 31, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #868 of 7,541
I definitely did not believe all their S master digital crap. What i want to know is whether it sounds good, and i feel that this could be better for the price. Its $50 more expensive than the X3 in Singapore, and the X3 is better, and at $50 more you can get the iBasso DX50

then go for the others.
you can't expect a DAP twice as small with 3 to 4 times the battery life to actually output the same as a X3 or DX50. I dont know what you guys keep expecting.
they didn't put naqadah inside the sony ^_^. if your headphone needs power then it won't sound great with the sony. that's really all there is to it(and i feel like I'm a senile old guy repeating always the same thing).

you see Sardar's bro is complaining about the X1's size, it is smaller than the X3 and the X3 in my opinion had a much better form factor than the DX50 (the DX50 in a back pocker is really not that much fun). but that's a matter of habits, coming from an E walkman series, anything will feel thick and annoying. ask the same question to Jude who went with his bricks sandwich for years, and he would probably not care at all.
being used to have DAPs that are less than 1cm thick, is something you never really want to let go. I'll sometimes carry my amp with a DAP when I want to use different headphones, but mostly I take the easy to drive IEMs and leave the amp home. not that I'm against better sound, but we're in the portable world, if it's not portable, it's just not worth it. at least that's how I see things.

Oct 31, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #869 of 7,541
  Well, I just spent a frustrating hour on the internet looking if I could order the 64GB player shipping to the Netherlands.
Couldn't find a single store, only the 16GB is available.
Anybody has a tip where to get the 64GB?

pricejapan.com

But do note no one really knows if the 64 GB model has english menu or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back