SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Nov 1, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #946 of 7,541
There is a ZX1 thread if you want to discuss the ZX1 , post it there, you will likely get more relevant response.

The question directly concerns a15 as its values should be even worse being 400$ cheaper

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #947 of 7,541

No one is spamming,,this is the first discussion concerning the measurements of zx1,,,,u expect it not to be discuss

Yes, it can be discuss but what's the point when nothing is glaring bad about the measurement of the ZX1.  Just about everyone in the ZX1 thread will likely also preferred the sound of their Sony over any iPod or iPhone.  If you are reading that much into the measurement, then just don't buy the A15/17 or ZX1.  Let me tell you this though, headphones listening can get way way better than a perfectly measured headphone out of an iPod/iPhone.  I'm going to go out and say that I bet an iPhone output will measure even better than the AK120 & 240 as well.  

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #948 of 7,541
  Yes, it can be discuss but what's the point when nothing is glaring bad about the measurement of the ZX1.  Just about everyone in the ZX1 thread will likely also preferred the sound of their Sony over any iPod or iPhone.  If you are reading that much into the measurement, then just don't buy the A15/17 or ZX1.  Let me tell you this though, headphones listening can get way way better than a perfectly measured headphone out of an iPod/iPhone.  I'm going to go out and say that I bet an iPhone output will measure even better than the AK120 & 240 as well.  

Don't ak240 and ak120 publish the specs??

Nov 1, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #949 of 7,541

They do, like other DAP makers.  The question is, how their specs line-up when measured.  Tyll has measured the output impedance of the AK240 and was higher than spec'd.  Wish I can find real measurements of the AK series(maybe too expensive to people to afford for measurements?).  I have seen the Cowon P1 measured, and it's close to spec in regards to no load which is not useful.  Some things can be checked like maximum voltage and power it clip at specific load values.  Is there a roll-off anywhere which can reveal reactive element at the output.  

For older ipods and other players, I've seen square wave test conducted for bass roll-off or capacitive output.  surprisingly, the first gen shuffle performed well.

Nov 1, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #950 of 7,541
  They do, like other DAP makers.  The question is, how their specs line-up when measured.  Tyll has measured the output impedance of the AK240 and was higher than spec'd.  Wish I can find real measurements of the AK series(maybe too expensive to people to afford for measurements?).  I have seen the Cowon P1 measured, and it's close to spec in regards to no load which is not useful.  Some things can be checked like maximum voltage and power it clip at specific load values.  Is there a roll-off anywhere which can reveal reactive element at the output.  

For older ipods and other players, I've seen square wave test conducted for bass roll-off or capacitive output.  surprisingly, the first gen shuffle performed well.

Bummer,,,why didn't this guy also test x5,ak100/120/240 too??
mad.gif

Nov 1, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #951 of 7,541
  Would love to see the battery life measurements of using the A15 digital out.

As for those specs, what can the human ear even detect? 

My rough measurement tells me it is between 9-13 hours. 

Yesterday I plugged in a fully charged A15 into a HUGO and played a 24/176.2 flac album on a loop. I returned to the unit 5 hours and it went back to 2 bars as soon as I turned the screen on (it was on three for few short seconds).

However to my ears the apple digital out and walkman digital out seem to sound a little different (but I might be just going crazy). Walkman digital out feeding HUGO sounds a little leaner but I am certain I would fail the blind test if I was to tell them apart so yes dont what I said too seriously.
-------------------
Enjoy the A15 for those who have it, for those who doubt it try it, for those who tried it and did not luck it, sorry put it on sale and move on, I am sure there are plenty of buyers out there, peace!

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #953 of 7,541

I wrote it on the zx1's topic, but those measurements are actually not bad at all for portable, and objectively few people will be in a situation where anything below -80db will matter. just like not many people will be bother or even notice the hiss of the A15.
I still think that pairing with the right headphone or providing the right amp will have the most impact on sound. after the headphone, the weak point in a system is the amp. the guy from benchmark said it again in some RMAF video from 2013(still nothing from 2014 
frown.gif
I enjoy those kind of seminars/marketing videos full of greatly experienced people sooooo much). and more so when headphones and amps have to be paired from specs to give the best they can. so in that respect and like sardar mentioned it a few times, sony trying to limit the amp section's involvement, looks like a weird move(outside of maybe battery life and probably size).
so maybe they don't want to give up on years of R&D and keep pushing Smaster like they tried to push so many things in the past? maybe they know full well and decided to go with size and develop amps on the side, and what we saw as a headphone with it's own dac and amp? personally I'm very happy that all brands didn't start doing 400gr monster DAPs with 2watt output. because I will keep my portable to the minimum and cherish the option to carry a big pack or just take the small DAP alone sometimes.

on a side note anybody knows what happened to markuskraus.com there were a lot of RMAAs of DAPs with triple fi IEMs? it first stopped updating with new gear, then the site seem to have gone down. I was using those RMAA a lot to try and figure out the possible causes of sound differences.

Quote:

cowon always give specs for no load. it's not 150% useless as sony's 15+15mw thing, but pretty lame and useless still.

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #954 of 7,541

Would love to see the battery life measurements of using the A15 digital out.

As for those specs, what can the human ear even detect? 

My rough measurement tells me it is between 9-13 hours. 

Yesterday I plugged in a fully charged A15 into a HUGO and played a 24/176.2 flac album on a loop. I returned to the unit 5 hours and it went back to 2 bars as soon as I turned the screen on (it was on three for few short seconds).

However to my ears the apple digital out and walkman digital out seem to sound a little different (but I might be just going crazy). Walkman digital out feeding HUGO sounds a little leaner but I am certain I would fail the blind test if I was to tell them apart so yes dont what I said too seriously.
-------------------
Enjoy the A15 for those who have it, for those who doubt it try it, for those who tried it and did not luck it, sorry put it on sale and move on, I am sure there are plenty of buyers out there, peace!

that's not much, even with the usual "cut in half" sony estimates, you should get 15h pretty easy from 24/192.
do you have the battery care ON? that is supposed to make the battery charge at about 90%, so it would explain at least one hour less that way.

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #955 of 7,541

that's not much, even with the usual "cut in half" sony estimates, you should get 15h pretty easy from 24/192.
do you have the battery care ON? that is supposed to make the battery charge at about 90%, so it would explain at least one hour less that way.

Yes I have the battery care On. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #956 of 7,541
i wish i could exchange  a Fiio x3 for a walkman A17 lol, fiio has many bugs and not so great battery life, but the sound quality is amazing (hence 10h battery life)

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #957 of 7,541
i wish i could exchange  a Fiio x3 for a walkman A17 lol, fiio has many bugs and not so great battery life, but the sound quality is amazing (hence 10h battery life)

I owned the x3 in the past and the a17 should be at least as good if not cleaner sounding if you are intended on using a really good IEMs. For harder to drive phones, stick with FiiO especially the X5.

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #958 of 7,541
I had to update my review of this little guy. 5/5, here it comes. It lacks the power for home listening headphones but for majority of portable ones, this is the best thing out there, considering combination of sound, price, size, battery life and UI.

Nov 1, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #959 of 7,541
I am pretty happy with my A17 - using it for a week now.
Sounds very good with my Jh13pro, considering it's small size. I am using clearbass only, others enhancements add some grain to the sound.
I've tried zx1 in the Sony shop, but with $300 Sony MDR-1RB. My impression is - sound stage was a bit wider and dynamics better(which can be related to a better amplifier), but sound was pretty similar in character. Can't compare level of details - obviously my Jh13pro pulls more details.
I had only Philips GoGear Aria as PMP and I just couldn't make myself to use it, so terrible it sounds after my desktop jig.
My desktop jig (modified Auzentech Meridian sound card) sounds noticeably better than A17. Everything is better- sound stage, details, dynamics. But I am ready to forgive it to this little guy.
I put it in the jeans pocket and forget it's there! Battery lasts forever! Lots of memory! So easy to use and I never had a walkman before.
What I don't understand - many people complained about hiss. My A17 has absolute black background, no hiss with my IEMs. But I do remember some hiss from zx1.
Could it be that some units have hiss and others don't?
I am waiting for a LOD cable to arrive, would be interesting to try it with headphone out from my NAD 917 preamp.

Nov 1, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #960 of 7,541
I owned the x3 in the past and the a17 should be at least as good if not cleaner sounding if you are intended on using a really good IEMs. For harder to drive phones, stick with FiiO especially the X5.

Yes I have easy to drive phones HFI-780 (Ultrasone, 35-Ohm) and XBA-H3 (40-Ohm), i like the fiio x3 but the battery has started to die out, rather quick( bought it on Feb 2014)., what i am worried about the A10-series is the amp section, i've had an ipod classic 160GB and i can say well it had stellar battery life but the sound was so-so

Users who are viewing this thread

Back