SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Sep 12, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #5,551 of 7,541
Fellow A10 series owners,

I must share this modification with you, developed by a great friend of mine. Far from the easiest mod to perform, but it brings my A17 up to around the performance levels of the AK Jr. Great alternative to lugging around my Mezzo modded ZX2 if I don't feel like it. http://jyrab.blogspot.sg/2015/09/the-sony-a15-mod-sadism-mod.html (and yes, that particular unit in the photos is mine)

Sep 12, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #5,553 of 7,541
Shipping taxes are very expensive in Romania as well. Say, for example, if I want to import a product from another country (non EU) that costs 300$, I would have to pay a tax of 200$ for shipment only and other delivery costs so that's why importing is not very convenient for us.

Vielen Dank im Voraus is in german which means - thank you in advance. I speak 4 different languages and german is one of them.

I'm Robert.

Looking forward for your impression of the XBA-A3 paired with the A10, Gerry :)

They are in transit still in japanese post, still not handed to Correos de Mexico

Sep 13, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #5,554 of 7,541

I must share this modification with you, developed by a great friend of mine. Far from the easiest mod to perform, but it brings my A17 up to around the performance levels of the AK Jr. Great alternative to lugging around my Mezzo modded ZX2 if I don't feel like it. http://jyrab.blogspot.sg/2015/09/the-sony-a15-mod-sadism-mod.html (and yes, that particular unit in the photos is mine)

From my understanding, this mod should "fix" the hissing sound of the A10(?) For my ears, hiss on this DAP is barely noticeable, almost non-existent (the X series hisses a little more) so IMO I don't think it's worth the risk of doing this mod unless of course you're ready to replace your A if something goes wrong.

I'd be more interested in a volume hack, - something that lets you disable that stupid EU volume cap..

Sep 13, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #5,555 of 7,541
From my understanding, this mod should "fix" the hissing sound of the A10(?) [COLOR=545454]For my ears, hiss on this DAP is barely noticeable, almost non-existent (the X series hisses a little more) so IMO I don't think it's worth the risk of doing this mod unless of course you're ready to replace your A if something goes wrong.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=545454]I'd be more interested in a volume hack, - something that lets you disable that stupid EU volume cap..[/COLOR]

How hiss prone the A10 is really depends on how sensitive the IEM you are using is- my Earwerkz Supra 2s are a terrible hissy mess when used with the unmodded player. The mod also appreciably improves detailing and staging so it really is worth the time spent doing it. Of course, get someone with electrical experience to do it if you're afraid of screwing it up :)

Sep 13, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #5,556 of 7,541

From my understanding, this mod should "fix" the hissing sound of the A10(?) For my ears, hiss on this DAP is barely noticeable, almost non-existent (the X series hisses a little more) so IMO I don't think it's worth the risk of doing this mod unless of course you're ready to replace your A if something goes wrong.

I'd be more interested in a volume hack, - something that lets you disable that stupid EU volume cap..

I agree i had older walkmans including A810. X1060 and E500, they hissed like rattlesnakes, cobras in a basket

This one i don't notice any hiss at all,a nd yeah i would be interestd in such a hack too my old E500 despite was sold here in mexico had a volume cap

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #5,557 of 7,541

from my understanding, the point of the mod is to change the impedance output. I don't know enough to say what it can do to the walkman, but it's easy to predict what it will do to IEMs that have a very wild impedance curve.

I just avoid using those IEMs on the sony. or use them with an amp. that's my mod
ph34r.gif

@rushofblood out of curiosity, did you RMAA the DAP with and without the mod?

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #5,558 of 7,541

from my understanding, the point of the mod is to change the impedance output. I don't know enough to say what it can do to the walkman, but it's easy to predict what it will do to IEMs that have a very wild impedance curve.

I just avoid using those IEMs on the sony. or use them with an amp. that's my mod
ph34r.gif

Hey there,

No I have not, but that's a brilliant suggestion. I will try to seek out the necessary tools for a measurement and will report back here with results if I succeed.

Sep 13, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #5,559 of 7,541
Did an amazing discovery I turned on DSEE HX to "chug on the battery" and recharge new songs later...

Turns it sounds favoulous if i have the DSEE HX and the walkman hooked to the Oppo HA-2, sound so damn close to a modern classical recording mastered in 24-bit by naive label or others like CPO

Yep using a lowly Fiio L5 LOD cable

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #5,560 of 7,541
I've suspected for awhile that Dsee hx is not actually upres/upsampling(over-sampling) the audio.

But just adding a best guess at anything over 15-20khz

Like pioneers old legato-link conversion

I asked someone on the pha3 thread to play a zx1/2/a17 with DSEE hx on an see if the pha3 led lit up indicating higher sample rate than 48khz was getting input but no indication, so either it completely doesn't upsample or it only upsamples via analog output...

But then wouldn't the Walkmans battery really decrease if it was truly upsampling??

I did like the old original dsee on the x series walkman but not so much on this a15 I have.

Interesting that the a15 walkman itself describes the DSEE HX as a "sound effect"...

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #5,561 of 7,541
Interesting the recording i ma listening to is from 1987 Deutsche Grammophone Telemann Wind Concertos

and sounds as good as those naive Vivaldi edition made between 2003 and 2014

Interesting thing is if i play DSEE HX on the headphone socket of A17 it sounds a bit artificial... the oppo does soemthing magical that renders it smooth

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #5,562 of 7,541
http://www.head-fi.org/t/779252/two-used-like-new-palyers-sony-nwz-a17-64gb-eac

Sep 13, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #5,563 of 7,541

ph34r.gif

Also, Isn't it easier/safer to have the attenuation circuit external to the player?
Something like this, without the varistors.

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #5,564 of 7,541

ph34r.gif

Agreed. The whole mod seems to be just about adding output impedance. It might help to cut down hiss, but also makes the A10 a worst DAP as far as power and electric dampening go. Seems to me like one step forward and two steps back.

Also, Isn't it easier/safer to have the attenuation circuit external to the player?
Something like this, without the varistors.

Impedance adapter can be easily ordered on eBay, and you can even request different resistor value that you like. Not to mention it is easy to DIY as well, as compared to soldering tiny wire in that mod.

Sep 14, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #5,565 of 7,541

Agreed. The whole mod seems to be just about adding output impedance. It might help to cut down hiss, but also makes the A10 a worst DAP as far as power and electric dampening go. Seems to me like one step forward and two steps back.

Impedance adapter can be easily ordered on eBay, and you can even request different resistor value that you like. Not to mention it is easy to DIY as well, as compared to soldering tiny wire in that mod.

I have clarified with my friend that this is not an impedance increase as the attenuator added by the resistors is a voltage divider. He has updated his post at the bottom to explain this at length. 

Noticed that you're in Johor. If you're ever across the causeway drop me a PM and I would be more than happy to let you have a go at the modded unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back