SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Jan 29, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #2,431 of 7,541
  Any of you Sony A10 series owners know what it sounds like compared to a rockboxed iPod Classic (6th Generation with Cirrus Logic chip)? Bass/mids/highs and soundstage/neutrality/warmth.

Also, what's the output impedance of this thing? Can't find it in the specs. Thanks!

ipod classics ughhhh, lifeless sound quality, CD-quality tunes (flac transcoded to ALAC) sounded rather bland, compressed soundstage. The A10 will impress you since first listen, huge soundstage, clean sound, neutral response
  But it works wonders with 192/320 kbps.

haha i sued to have mp3's at 192 and i realized CD sounds way better and Hi-res some times slightly better than CD, i use then FLAC

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #2,435 of 7,541

Very happy with this set up a15 + xb90ex

i have exactly the same set up ...i love those xb90ex they tend to sound the best with my sony..

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #2,436 of 7,541
  Just bought Goodys A16 cheers Mate! I have quite a few walkmans including the E585,A865 and x1050 and have had the F807,F886 and Z1060 and I must say this little box of tricks beats them all,great SQ,fantastic battery life,expandable storage,APT X and digital out.I had my IFI Nano IDSD up for sale but will probably keep it now that it teams up with the A16,it also connects to the Dacmagic with the same WMC-NWH10 cable which I had bought for my F886 and which didnt work!The Bluetooth aptx also sounds good with Dacmagic which is also aptx.Very handy small player which you can take anywhere,its also plays louder than the 886 and if not quite equal in sq isnt far away,I needed an amp to make the 886 bring out its best and the battery was terrible.On the look out for the Japanese help guide translated into English although so far ive managed to find out what I am looking for.

Glad you like it cattlethief!! navigating the japanese player is pretty straightforward its very similar to the english menu with only slight differences... 

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #2,437 of 7,541

me, not recommended withouth EQ or withouth an amp

Can you elaborate?

They have boomy bass, so bumped up that destroy the natural sound signature of the A17 (i ahve the intnternational version),, there is no way to tame it just by EQ.

They sound if the walkman had this old Sony CD walkmans, megaBass thing turned on, some times makes the songs sound so unnatural like if they were pumped through an old speaker where the mids and highs gets little emphasis. some times if they were recorded in a bathroom (tinny reverb feeling).

I want to try the XBA-A3 and sell my H3, the H3 do shine with vocal music where there is no so much bass present and organ music

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #2,440 of 7,541
Probably because of royalties to Sony

gosh better buy mine ASAP from mp4 nation before it's finally gone, Bispa no longer makes it's lod also, and to get a WMC-NWH10 is so hard here in MX typical amazon "WMC-NWH10 cannot be shipped to México"

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #2,441 of 7,541
They have boomy bass, so bumped up that destroy the natural sound signature of the A17 (i ahve the intnternational version),, there is no way to tame it just by EQ.

They sound if the walkman had this old Sony CD walkmans, megaBass thing turned on, some times makes the songs sound so unnatural like if they were pumped through an old speaker where the mids and highs gets little emphasis. some times if they were recorded in a bathroom (tinny reverb feeling).

I want to try the XBA-A3 and sell my H3, the H3 do shine with vocal music where there is no so much bass present and organ music

How would an amp help?

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #2,442 of 7,541
How would an amp help?

Well those are 40-ohms (H3) and well to drive them at their best am amplfier is needed, so you get bass control (tame it) and better mids/Highs to speak easy.. give more power to drive cans. (eyeing the OPPO HA-2 portable amp for it's mayden release date)

if you plug a fiio L5 LOD you bypass the sony amp section and the portable amp let's say HA-2 drives your phones

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #2,445 of 7,541
if I drive my MDR-1R, same dynamic driver as H3 but in bigger size, i egt correct reverb, neutral response, great imaging, I know XBA-H3 is an IEM and 1R's are Cans so hands down to big heaphones

All my impressions of my A17 were made with the MDR-1R.

during weekend i will "calibrate" my A17 to the XBA-H3 signature with this "critical" piece Davitt Moroney (Harmonia mundi 1984, remaster) Louis Couperin Works for Cembalo, his Chaconne in F major so the H3 have the 1R sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back