SONY NW-ZX700
Mar 31, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #1,412 of 2,641
we need @rlw6534 help to revert a build on android. I did find a way to get back to the original sound signature but I don’t want Sony to patch that out, so no more firmware updates for me.

I don't have a ZX700, but I'm afraid no one has figured out a way to revert on A100 or ZX500. Of course now that my A306 has bass, I haven't even thought about trying to go back... :wink:

I'll think on it, but I'm pretty sure Sony never posted the original firmware anywhere.

Mar 31, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #1,413 of 2,641
Luckily MudEnjoyer has measurements from before the update, and will post a comparison later on hopefully :)
I hear no difference after update. Without any real test results showing changes, I doubt Sony will do anything.

Mar 31, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #1,414 of 2,641
Mar 31, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #1,416 of 2,641
How did you do that ?
Do you use the Sony Headphones connect app? Others can confirm or refute this... From owning and using the ZX507, I've developed the habit of launching the Headphones connect app and use it to choose what Sony IEM, TWS or headphones I'm using. I believe the Headphones connect app works in tandem with the Walkman music player app by adjusting some DSP to tune the Sony IEM, TWS or headphone to sound their best(?). I usually launch the Headphones connect app and choose the Sony head gear I'm using, then I launch the music player and everything sounds great.

So what happens if you have or use other head gear other than the Sony gear that is supported in the Headphones connect app? For wired head gear the Headphone connect app does not know what you're plugging in, so you can select any supported Sony head gear and see if it changes the sound profile. If you already launched the Walkman music player, all you have to do is pause the music, launch or switch to the Headphones connect app and select a different IEM (ex., switch IER-M7 to IER-M9 or other like IER-Z1R), switch back to the music player and play your music and see what happens.

Give this a test and give some feedback. Maybe I'm imagining things or not, but at least this is something to try.

Mar 31, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #1,417 of 2,641
Do you use the Sony Headphones connect app? Others can confirm or refute this... From owning and using the ZX507, I've developed the habit of launching the Headphones connect app and use it to choose what Sony IEM, TWS or headphones I'm using. I believe the Headphones connect app works in tandem with the Walkman music player app by adjusting some DSP to tune the Sony IEM, TWS or headphone to sound their best(?). I usually launch the Headphones connect app and choose the Sony head gear I'm using, then I launch the music player and everything sounds great.

So what happens if you have or use other head gear other than the Sony gear that is supported in the Headphones connect app? For wired head gear the Headphone connect app does not know what you're plugging in, so you can select any supported Sony head gear and see if it changes the sound profile. If you already launched the Walkman music player, all you have to do is pause the music, launch or switch to the Headphones connect app and select a different IEM (ex., switch IER-M7 to IER-M9 or other like IER-Z1R), switch back to the music player and play your music and see what happens.

Give this a test and give some feedback. Maybe I'm imagining things or not, but at least this is something to try.
Thanks for the hint, but I already tried this lol. I don't use the Walkman app. I use Apple Music and here this did not make any difference no matter which Sony headphone I select.
I really miss that deep sub-bass on my Odyssey :frowning2:

I contacted Sony Support and they said if the device was bought in the US, they can replace it with a new one because reverting to an older firmware is not possible. Sadly mine is from Japan.
Oh well, Hiby R6 Pro II is releasing soon with 2x AK4499EXEQ DACs. I will give that a go !

Mar 31, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #1,418 of 2,641
Luckily MudEnjoyer has measurements from before the update, and will post
Thanks for the hint, but I already tried this lol. I don't use the Walkman app. I use Apple Music and here this did not make any difference no matter which Sony headphone I select.

I contacted Sony Support and they said if the device was bought in the US, they can replace it with a new one because reverting to an older firmware is not possible. Sadly mine is from Japan.
Oh well, Hiby R6 Pro II is releasing soon with 2x AK4499EXEQ DACs. I will give that a go !
Seems a bit drastic to get a new DAP just to solve this. If we get the pre-update measurement and a post-update one, and it does indicate a difference, I think with enough noise we could get Sony to patch this in another update. The only thing I really found to be a little different is how drumbeats sound, but I may be influenced by the fact that I am looking for a difference..

Mar 31, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #1,419 of 2,641
Luckily MudEnjoyer has measurements from before the update, and will post

Seems a bit drastic to get a new DAP just to solve this. If we get the pre-update measurement and a post-update one, and it does indicate a difference, I think with enough noise we could get Sony to patch this in another update. The only thing I really found to be a little different is how drumbeats sound, but I may be influenced by the fact that I am looking for a difference..
Hehe you are right. Although I am very tempted to get the new Hiby anyway.
2x flagship DACs with class A/AB amps at $745 is tempting ! It could be the end-game DAP for a long time ? Who knows ! :laughing:

Mar 31, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #1,420 of 2,641

MKBHD team did a review on the ZX707. Quite a hard sell for the general audience. Interesting take from the more well versed one as well.

Mar 31, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #1,421 of 2,641
I had some old measurements with the XBA-N3 laying around, from when I was testing DC phase and vinyl processor. I found one with all filters off.

These are two screenshots, one from 5-20kHz and the other from 20-20kHz which is easier to read. Red is old firmware, blue is new.

Note that these measurements are more than a month away, done with INAIRS foams with heavy daily use and which honestly are in need of replacement, but I ran out of them (and I don't plan on getting more, going to try those EP-NI1000 instead). This might explain why the highs have less energy.

My coupler isn't calibrated either so the results aren't the most accurate, but it should be perfect for A/B comparisons which is what I use for quality control on my IEMs.

Attachments

• 5-20k.png
    5-20k.png
    114.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20-20k.png
    20-20k.png
    102.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #1,422 of 2,641
I had some old measurements with the XBA-N3 laying around, from when I was testing DC phase and vinyl processor. I found one with all filters off.

These are two screenshots, one from 5-20kHz and the other from 20-20kHz. Red is old firmware, blue is new.

Note that these measurements are more than a month away, done with INARIS foams with heavy daily use and which honestly are in need of replacement, but I ran out of them (and I don't plan on getting more, going to try those EP-NI1000 instead). This might explain why the highs have less energy.

My coupler isn't calibrated either so the results aren't the most accurate, but it should be perfect for A/B comparisons which is what I use for quality control on my IEMs.
Thank you for some confirmation that the firmware did not change the sound. Bass region tracks between old and new firmware.

I've haven't heard any change on my ZX707 after the update.

Mar 31, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #1,423 of 2,641

I'm using Amazon music for my streaming, no issues when playing through the Amazon app.

Mar 31, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #1,424 of 2,641
I've never had a DAP before and this one I find curious. Besides IEMs, most here agree that the ZX707 is best suited for easy to drive headphones. Do you guys think the Sean HD6602 are amongst them? I can assume they could drive my Grados SR325 just fine.

Also, does the firmware update fix the gain issue here in the US? or am I better of simply buying form Japan?

Mar 31, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #1,425 of 2,641
I've never had a DAP before and this one I find curious. Besides IEMs, most here agree that the ZX707 is best suited for easy to drive headphones. Do you guys think the Sean HD6602 are amongst them? I can assume they could drive my Grados SR325 just fine.

Also, does the firmware update fix the gain issue here in the US? or am I better of simply buying form Japan?
I am not sure if the specs are similar, but they drive my Senn HD 660S(1) just fine balanced, high gain (Japan version). I don’t think they will fix the gain issue with firmware as it is a US regulation, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back