SONY NW-ZX700
Mar 14, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #1,172 of 2,821
Hi All, just need a little advice in my personal scenarios:
  • The First IEM impressed me the most is Sony XBA-N3AP, I tested it via Sony Center Demo Section at around 2017, it's Bass just feel so next ceiling level without bury all others Instrument or vocal sound, totally fell in love with it but I couldn't afford the premium price so it just a dream IEM, I did try others IEM, i think they are XBA-N1AP, IER-M7 or IER-M9, for some reason I just feel XBA-N3AP just sound better in my personal preference.
  • My First IEM is KZ ZS10 Pro + KZ ZSN Silver Plated 2 Pin Gold-Plated 0.75mm Pin Cable at 2019 June, I don't own any DAP or any High-End Audio Device, I just use it like how normal people usually do, plug to PC, Smartphone, Nintendo Switch, etc. It pretty satisfy most of my Audio Demand, however I don't like how it feel on ear, feel heavier and kinda uncomfortable in long session of usage.
  • At 2023 Jan, I finally get myself my dream IEM, Sony XBA-N3AP with Sony MUC-M12SM2, compare side by side with KZ ZS10 Pro, I feel KZ ZS10 Pro Bass just more "Punchy" and its High are more emphasize, in the end I still feel Sony XBA-N3AP sound better to me, most importantly more comfortable to wear in a long period of usage time.
  • At 2023 Feb, I get myself Sony NW-ZX507, I can't tell any obvious audio quality different between ZX507 with my Smart Phone (ROG Phone 6 with DIRAC EQ), but ZX507 is a great device for me to store all my CD Album, also I like the way to Manage Offline Music Library in the Old school way and I love its Preset "Excited" EQ which I feel the Audio Quality is only do-able in ZX507 with Preset "Excited" EQ. I did try out 4.4mm Cable but I feel I can't hear the difference compare with 3.5mm Cable. Usually I just play music at 70% - Max 85% of Volume Level.
  • For some reason, after 20 days of ZX507, I decided to sell it away. Just to keep it short, in the end of the day, I only spent RM170 to own Sony XBA-N3AP with Sony MUC-M12SM2 (They are not Brand New but a 8.5-9/10 condition lightly-used condition items).

Currently, I still plan to get a DAP, ZX707 is basically my current target, however I have still have some uncertainty:
  1. How can I determine if ZX707 able to drive the Sony XBA-N3AP "well"? Is Sony XBA-N3AP a Good match with ZX707?
  2. Would 4.4mm Cable in ZX707 would output a Significant Audio Quality compare to 3.5mm Cable when using Sony XBA-N3AP? In what situation I should consider using a 4.4mm Cable?
  3. I am very content with Sony XBA-N3AP, but I also interested in getting a Headphone too, is there any Sony Headphone similar to Sony XBA-N3AP but Better? I think I am a Basshead (usually listen to hip-hop and lo-fi) but I wouldn't want the Bass Sound bury all others Instrument or vocal sound. or Headphone are unnecessary in my scenario and I am completely fine just continue to stick with Sony XBA-N3AP?
  4. Should I consider Sony NW-A306? Would Sony XBA-N3AP have any significant audio quality output difference between A306 and ZX707?
Would really appreciate if anyone could share with my opinion and give me any advice toward my uncertainty above. Thanks!

Expecting my Sony Walkman NW-ZX707 MIKU Limited Edition will be arrive from Japan end of this week or Next Monday.

I have been purchasing various equipment for welcoming it, these are my current Audio Setup:
1. Kingston Canvas Select Plus microSD 100/85MB/s Read/Write, UHS-I Speed Class, U3, V30 (RM161.58)
2. Sony XBA-N3AP IEM with Sony MUC-M12SM2 Silver coated OFC MMCX to 3.5mm stereo L-shaped 1.2m Upgrade Cable (RM170)
3. Sony MDR-1AM2 Headphone come with Stock Original 4.4mm Balanced Four silver-coated oxygen-free copper cables (RM430)
4. TPU Black Transparent Case, Clear Temper Glass & Device Strap (RM59)

Coming Soon:
5. Sony Walkman NW-ZX707 MIKU Limited Edition (RM3689)

So far plan to use XBA-N3 with 3.5mm Cable with the ZX707 as daily indoor/outdoor daily driver, but use MDR-1AM2 with 4.4mm Balanced Cable with ZX707 for indoor casual usage.

Total Spent: RM4509.58 (around 1006.60 USD - 2023-MAR-14 Google Exchange Rate)

I think in my personal use case I have everything covered, not sure if I missing out anything, do share with me if I have miss out anything so that I could quickly grab it before my Sony Walkman NW-ZX707 MIKU Limited Edition arrived!

Any suggestion and advice are very appreciated! Thank you.

Mar 14, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #1,174 of 2,821
Expecting my Sony Walkman NW-ZX707 MIKU Limited Edition will be arrive from Japan end of this week or Next Monday.

I have been purchasing various equipment for welcoming it, these are my current Audio Setup:
1. Kingston Canvas Select Plus microSD 100/85MB/s Read/Write, UHS-I Speed Class, U3, V30 (RM161.58)
2. Sony XBA-N3AP IEM with Sony MUC-M12SM2 Silver coated OFC MMCX to 3.5mm stereo L-shaped 1.2m Upgrade Cable (RM170)
3. Sony MDR-1AM2 Headphone come with Stock Original 4.4mm Balanced Four silver-coated oxygen-free copper cables (RM430)
4. TPU Black Transparent Case, Clear Temper Glass & Device Strap (RM59)

Coming Soon:
5. Sony Walkman NW-ZX707 MIKU Limited Edition (RM3689)

So far plan to use XBA-N3 with 3.5mm Cable with the ZX707 as daily indoor/outdoor daily driver, but use MDR-1AM2 with 4.4mm Balanced Cable with ZX707 for indoor casual usage.

Total Spent: RM4509.58 (around 1006.60 USD - 2023-MAR-14 Google Exchange Rate)

I think in my personal use case I have everything covered, not sure if I missing out anything, do share with me if I have miss out anything so that I could quickly grab it before my Sony Walkman NW-ZX707 MIKU Limited Edition arrived!

Any suggestion and advice are very appreciated! Thank you.
I highly recommend to upgrade the XBA-N3 to 4.4mm. It is worth it. They are good enough that the difference matters on the ZX707.

Mar 14, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #1,175 of 2,821
Just wondering, any way to reactivate the screen without having to press any of the side buttons? (am not using any pin nor password)
Not sure about Android 12, but 13 has a "Lift to wake" feature under "Gestures". Try looking for that.

Mar 14, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #1,176 of 2,821
Not sure about Android 12, but 13 has a "Lift to wake" feature under "Gestures". Try looking for that.
This is only available when the device offers G-Sensors, the ZX707 doesnt do that. Nor does it offer any brightness detection

Mar 14, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #1,178 of 2,821
I highly recommend to upgrade the XBA-N3 to 4.4mm. It is worth it. They are good enough that the difference matters on the ZX707.

Actually I tried 4.4mm Balance Cable before with:
- Sony MUC-M12NB1 MMCX to 4.4mm Balanced Earphone Cable (Import from China, I think it is a Grade A copy not Original)
- Tripowin C8 4.4MM MMCX Cable (Original)

Using ZX507, Personally I can't really hear any significant difference, maybe it's my ear limitation or cable/device issue. Because I using XBA-N3 as my daily driver (plug to PC, phone, etc)

I try to avoid keep unplug the MMCX cable to avoid damaging it and it kinda inconvenience to keep changing the MMCX Cable, so at the moment I guess I will just let XBA-N3 be a dedicated 3.5mm IEM and let MDR-1AM2 as a dedicated 4.4mm Balanced Headphone usage.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #1,179 of 2,821
Actually I tried 4.4mm Balance Cable before with:
- Sony MUC-M12NB1 MMCX to 4.4mm Balanced Earphone Cable (Import from China, I think it is a Grade A copy not Original)
- Tripowin C8 4.4MM MMCX Cable (Original)

Using ZX507, Personally I can't really hear any significant difference, maybe it's my ear limitation or cable/device issue. Because I using ZBA-N3 as my daily driver (plug to PC, phone, etc)

I try to avoid keep unplug the MMCX cable to avoid damaging it and it kinda inconvenience to keep changing the MMCX Cable, so at the moment I guess I will just let XBA-N3 be a dedicated 3.5mm IEM and let MDR-1AM2 as a dedicated 4.4mm Balanced Headphone usage.
I can highly recommend an 4.4->3.5mm Adapter. You can not convert 3.5mm to 4.4mm but you an easily, without issues, convert from 4.4mm to 3.5mm. You loose the advantage of the balanced connection of course, but you don't have that with an 3.5mm cable to begin with. So you're not loosing sound quality.

They are cheap, simple and work. I use them all the time because my IER-M9 ends in 4.4mm and that is my daily driver i use >90% of the time

Mar 14, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #1,180 of 2,821
I can highly recommend an 4.4->3.5mm Adapter. You can not convert 3.5mm to 4.4mm but you an easily, without issues, convert from 4.4mm to 3.5mm. You loose the advantage of the balanced connection of course, but you don't have that with an 3.5mm cable to begin with. So you're not loosing sound quality.

They are cheap, simple and work. I use them all the time because my IER-M9 ends in 4.4mm and that is my daily driver i use >90% of the time
Not all 4.4-3.5 adapters work though, I've tried two so far (one of which was by iFi for their Gryphon amp) and they both didn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back