SONY NW-ZX700
Mar 15, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #1,201 of 2,747
Has anyone compared the 707 with the Ibasso DX240 with amp8mkii card?

Mar 15, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #1,202 of 2,747
Has anyone compared the 707 with the Ibasso DX240 with amp8mkii card?
If you really want to know the difference, i can test it tomorrow as i am going to e-earphone anyway.

But i can already predict that the DX240 most likely has no chance. The main reason to go with the DX240 is the higher output power, but if you really ever need that... thats a question only you can answer

Mar 15, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #1,203 of 2,747
The item has arrived at FromJapan and I've submitted it for shipping! On another note, what SD cards are recommended? I'm looking at either 512GB or 1TB.
I'm wondering if a Sandisk Ultra (U1, claims 150MB/s read speed) will do.

That speeds will never happen if you have the micro sd card installed on the ZX707 because of the limitations of the sd card reader. So if you are gonna transfer files for the micro sd card, that will be slow.

I bought the Kingston Canvas Go Plus 512 gb which have better specs that Sandisk ultra, and doing some speed test with it installed in the walkman, the speeds were way below of the theoric speeds.

THe way that the micro sd card could reach speeds closed to the theoric ones, is put in a external micro sd reader compatible with the specs of the card, and the speeds for read and write are above 120mb/s. For transfer files the speed are in the same values, but the sd card reader has to be connected to PC.

So if you are ok with the limitiations of the SD reader of the Walkman, and you prefer transfer files to the micro sd card installed there, the Sandisk Ultra would be enough.
But if you wanna faster transfers, in my case, buy a external micro sd reader that allow faster speeds and although the micro sd that you are watching would be faster(I believe), you have other options that are more faster like the Canvas Go Plus, Samsung or Sandisk extreme (those ones have U3 speed class).

Mar 15, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #1,204 of 2,747
The item has arrived at FromJapan and I've submitted it for shipping! On another note, what SD cards are recommended? I'm looking at either 512GB or 1TB.
I'm wondering if a Sandisk Ultra (U1, claims 150MB/s read speed) will do.
I got one of these in there that I picked up during Amazon Prime Day. SanDisk and Samsung are the ones I would recommend since they are recommnded most by gamers who constantly have their SDs read/write.
Screenshot_20230315_104655_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Mar 15, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #1,205 of 2,747
If you really want to know the difference, i can test it tomorrow as i am going to e-earphone anyway.

But i can already predict that the DX240 most likely has no chance. The main reason to go with the DX240 is the higher output power, but if you really ever need that... thats a question only you can answer
Thanks and looking forward to your impression. Ibasso DX240 with amp8 MKII that I have is quite a bit better sounding than my mod ZX507 so I expect a toss up with the DX240 and ZX707.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #1,207 of 2,747
“Better sounding” is subjective. For instance I have the DX320 and Zx707 and I like the Zx707 better.
That goes without saying regarding each individual preference.

Mar 15, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #1,208 of 2,747
well first off, it's drop dead gorgeous. sony hit a home run on the design. will post listening impressions after a few long sessions with it! I'll compare to my ZX 507 and my Astell Kern.
I too got mine a few days ago. Have you experienced any music skips when connected to wireless headphones? I am using with Sony WH-1000X M3. I am connecting first using LDAC and also aptX HD...Occasional but annoying skips....

Mar 16, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #1,209 of 2,747
That speeds will never happen if you have the micro sd card installed on the ZX707 because of the limitations of the sd card reader. So if you are gonna transfer files for the micro sd card, that will be slow.

I bought the Kingston Canvas Go Plus 512 gb which have better specs that Sandisk ultra, and doing some speed test with it installed in the walkman, the speeds were way below of the theoric speeds.

THe way that the micro sd card could reach speeds closed to the theoric ones, is put in a external micro sd reader compatible with the specs of the card, and the speeds for read and write are above 120mb/s. For transfer files the speed are in the same values, but the sd card reader has to be connected to PC.

So if you are ok with the limitiations of the SD reader of the Walkman, and you prefer transfer files to the micro sd card installed there, the Sandisk Ultra would be enough.
But if you wanna faster transfers, in my case, buy a external micro sd reader that allow faster speeds and although the micro sd that you are watching would be faster(I believe), you have other options that are more faster like the Canvas Go Plus, Samsung or Sandisk extreme (those ones have U3 speed class).
Hi, if that the case, do you know what is the ZX707 internal card reader speed cap? is it more than 100MB/s Read and 80MB/s Write speed?

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #1,211 of 2,747
I too got mine a few days ago. Have you experienced any music skips when connected to wireless headphones? I am using with Sony WH-1000X M3. I am connecting first using LDAC and also aptX HD...Occasional but annoying skips....
Bluetooth wireless is a transmission system, which, like any transmission system, is inherently unstable. It can be affected by many variables, the biggest being bandwidth and signal strength/interference
- BT setting: LDAC "sound preferred" is the highest bandwidth. Setting to "connection preferred" is lower bandwidth. Both LDAC and AptX HD are the higesth bandwidth, and thus the most demanding, and more susceptible to interference
- Interference: Can be from anything. Microwaves, WiFi, etc., etc. This affects the signal, forces re-transmissions, etc. Every environment is different, so there is no way to tell what is present in the environment of any user.

Bottom line is that Wireless is an unstable system, with many things that can affect it. The higher the bandwidth being used, the more sensitive it is. BT cannot be compared to a wired connection.

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #1,212 of 2,747
Bottom line is that Wireless is an unstable system, with many things that can affect it. The higher the bandwidth being used, the more sensitive it is. BT cannot be compared to a wired connection.

Since BT 5.x, It's already a few years, at least with Samsung smartphones (I use Galaxy Z Fold 2&3&4), that the connection is really stable at 900/990Kbps (no drops at all) at least in the same room (not depending on anything in the office/room like Wifi). I only own the Kann Alpha that can't handle Wifi and BT receiver simultaneously without cracks/drops..
For full lossless CD quality, I don't have any sound quality difference with my DAPs set as BT receivers (FIIO M17, WM1A) or my BT receivers dongles (BTR7, UP4(22) and even the little iFi Go Blu) with cable connections (tested with IEMs like IE600/900, EXT, IER-Z1R).
For Hires files 24-44/48/96/192.. it's another story.. but, as I can at least easily make a direct A/B comparison with Android app like BT Codec Changer => I can ear instantly the significant difference between AAC at 250Kbps and LDAC 990Kbps.... for cable connection, I won't try to make any direct comparison.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #1,213 of 2,747
I also have to say that i use 990kbps LDAC most of the time without absolutely no issues. On large Trains Stations with 16 Tracks and thounds of people, i can hear skips that appear from time ot time, but other than that, i have no issues.

My WiFi at home is set at 5GHz though. 2.4GHz does affect bluetooth performance especially with devices that have a very low sending strengh (which is why the FiiO BTA30 exists) but as 2.4GHz WiFi is slower than my network connection, i don't use it.

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #1,214 of 2,747
Hi, if that the case, do you know what is the ZX707 internal card reader speed cap? is it more than 100MB/s Read and 80MB/s Write speed?
I remember that the write speed was 17mb/s during the test. The read I dont remember but it was also slow.

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #1,215 of 2,747
I remember that the write speed was 17mb/s during the test. The read I dont remember but it was also slow.
Can't believe the internal reader itself was this slow! if the read speed itself under 100MB/s, it seem like there are really got no reason to get high-end microSD card, the entry level itself already at 80mb write and 100mb read speed which cost a lot cheaper compare to other high end sd card

Users who are viewing this thread

Back