SONY NW-ZX500
Mar 27, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #8,626 of 8,639
So I've had my zx507 sitting for over a year. I put it on charge, the screen showing the charging status, but it won't turn on. Is there somewhere I can get it repaired? Or a trick to wake it from hibernation? Or is it a brick?

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #8,627 of 8,639
So I've had my zx507 sitting for over a year. I put it on charge, the screen showing the charging status, but it won't turn on. Is there somewhere I can get it repaired? Or a trick to wake it from hibernation? Or is it a brick?
I'm not sure what the fix is but you could try holding down the power button and volume down for roughly 5-7 seconds and see if you can get to a recovery screen... since it is an Android OS. Let me know if that works or else I'll try to think of something else.

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #8,628 of 8,639
If your dap wasn't in use long time sure it deeply discharged. Try to plug it to PC or Mac and wait a hour or so.

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #8,629 of 8,639
If your dap wasn't in use long time sure it deeply discharged. Try to plug it to PC or Mac and wait a hour or so.
I did try the laptop, but might try overnight

Mar 28, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #8,631 of 8,639
I'm not sure what the fix is but you could try holding down the power button and volume down for roughly 5-7 seconds and see if you can get to a recovery screen... since it is an Android OS. Let me know if that works or else I'll try to think of something else.
Tried not just the volume down but other combinations to no avail :frowning2:

Mar 28, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #8,632 of 8,639
Tried not just the volume down but other combinations to no avail :frowning2:

I believe you already know this, but the standard approach to overly discharged batteries is to connect to a low power USB port. I would suggest USB2 only, as newer standards might not work as well. I have personally done this many times with success.

I believe this has to do with USB's dead battery provision (DBP) which limits current to 100 ma for dead/unconfigured devices. Because the DBP limits the charge time to 30-45 minutes, you may want to disconnect and reconnect every hour or so. Once the battery has voltage above the dead battery limit, it will switch to normal charge mode.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #8,633 of 8,639
I believe you already know this, but the standard approach to overly discharged batteries is to connect to a low power USB port. I would suggest USB2 only, as newer standards might not work as well. I have personally done this many times with success.

I believe this has to do with USB's dead battery provision (DBP) which limits current to 100 ma for dead/unconfigured devices. Because the DBP limits the charge time to 30-45 minutes, you may want to disconnect and reconnect every hour or so. Once the battery has voltage above the dead battery limit, it will switch to normal charge mode.
Ok. I'll keep playing around with the laptop charge usb plugs..

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #8,634 of 8,639
Unfortunately non of the suggestions have worked. Still getting the charging screen but nothing else.

Mar 30, 2024 at 7:04 AM Post #8,635 of 8,639
In this case problem with bootloader/flash memory. Because Sony not share their firmware and not permit to open bootloader, sure only service center repair your problem. Common fix is motherboard replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back