SONY NW-ZX500
Feb 5, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #8,611 of 8,639
If you can get pass the form factor of the ZX507, the ZX707 DSD remastering is tough to pass up. Much more responsive on the ZX707 but I do agree that the ZX507 is so pocket friendly!

Feb 12, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #8,612 of 8,639
Look, I get the drive for change, I really do… but here are my 2 cents.

For my brain and ears, the ZX507 is better than the Cayin RU7 which has been heralded as an excellent dongle…
It has better synergy with headphones such as the power-hungry Sennheiser HD660S2 than my RU7, despite having half the power…
It's also faster than my WM1AM2…
And you already have one :wink:

Again, I do get the drive for change, I really, really, do — but every time I do the DAP merry go round, I land back on Sony… so, my advise, if you move on from the ZX507, get the ZX707, WM1AM2 or WM1ZM2. But, if, like me, you didn't get the ZX707 due to it's form factor because, let's be honest, the ZX300/507 form-factor is just 🥰 — keep your ZX507.
I appreciate that perspective. I really do. I have no problem with the form-factor of the DAP. I also really do enjoy the sound that I get from it. It's just that the interface is so clunky to use - and I'm an Android user. I like Android. But this old OS is pretty crappy. I just wish I could update it. And the battery life is also pretty awful. Those are the 2 main reasons why I have the "drive for change". If it weren't for those 2 factors, I wouldn't.

Feb 12, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #8,613 of 8,639
I appreciate that perspective. I really do. I have no problem with the form-factor of the DAP. I also really do enjoy the sound that I get from it. It's just that the interface is so clunky to use - and I'm an Android user. I like Android. But this old OS is pretty crappy. I just wish I could update it. And the battery life is also pretty awful. Those are the 2 main reasons why I have the "drive for change". If it weren't for those 2 factors, I wouldn't.
Oh, it's the opposite for me 😄, I really like the interface of the Sony's.

That said, you'll have a lot more choice than someone like me if you like an Android DAP.

I won't be able to help you much aside the fact that, tonally-speaking, the only other DAPs I'd consider would be FiiO, iBasso and Shanling with ESS DACs, in this order.

FiiO I find to be the best value for money with excellent QC and fit and finish. You should be able to find a M11 Plus ESS at good prices nowadays. iBasso and Shanling come next but they're in a different league from a fit and finish standpoint (and I'm not sure whether Shanling now has proper gapless playback).

Feb 12, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #8,614 of 8,639

That said, you'll have a lot more choice than someone like me if you like an Android DAP.

I won't be able to help you much aside the fact that, tonally-speaking, the only other DAPs I'd consider would be FiiO, iBasso and Shanling with ESS DACs, in this order.

FiiO I find to be the best value for money with excellent QC and fit and finish. You should be able to find a M11 Plus ESS at good prices nowadays. iBasso and Shanling come next but they're in a different league from a fit and finish standpoint (and I'm not sure whether Shanling now has proper gapless playback).
I like the Sony interface. It's the Android operating system that makes the DAP so slow. Like I said, I wish I could just update it.

I've considered the Shanling many times. That FiiO that you mentioned is like $650, haha. That's a lot of money!

Feb 12, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #8,615 of 8,639
I like the Sony interface. It's the Android operating system that makes the DAP so slow. Like I said, I wish I could just update it.

I've considered the Shanling many times. That FiiO that you mentioned is like $650, haha. That's a lot of money!

Oh, I get it now, sorry 🤦🏼‍♂️

Have you looked into @Sonywalkmanuser 's Optimization and Tweak Guide?

Btw, the M11 Plus ESS is likely to see a drop in price as FiiO recently announced their roadmap which includes new DAPs.

Feb 12, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #8,616 of 8,639
Oh, I get it now, sorry 🤦🏼‍♂️

Have you looked into @Sonywalkmanuser 's Optimization and Tweak Guide?

Btw, the M11 Plus ESS is likely to see a drop in price as FiiO recently announced their roadmap which includes new DAPs.
I looked at it once but I didn't see this model so I gave up, haha. I'll take a another look. I also didn't really want to break anything, haha.

I can wait and see what the M11 plus comes down to. The Shanling is only $183 on Amazon.

Feb 13, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #8,619 of 8,639

Love the ZX507 still, and man I love my FiiO M11+LTD (AKM DAC version) too. Definitely best value for the money; but I recently dropped the M11+ and shattered the back glass (still works though), so I’m looking forward to FiiO’s next generation of DAPs (maybe I’ll use a case with that one, haha). It should be noted, I’ve dropped the Sony ZX507 many times with little damage, and the build (with no glass on the back) is just so robust. And the 507, like everyone says, is sooooo pocketable. I love it for throwing in my pocket with some Sony IEMs (synergy with M9 and Z1R is just awesome). Agree’d that battery on 507 sucks (even with @Sonywalkmanuser tweaks, but the tweaks help, so thanks bro).

Now I just hope Sony can deliver a product as good as the 507 again someday, in sound quality and form factor, but with better battery life. The A306 and ZX507 didn’t cut it for me. For the money the 1AM2 and Z versions are not worth it and are too big in my opinion.

Cheers fellow 507 users.

Feb 14, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #8,620 of 8,639
Love the ZX507 still, and man I love my FiiO M11+LTD (AKM DAC version) too. Definitely best value for the money; but I recently dropped the M11+ and shattered the back glass (still works though), so I’m looking forward to FiiO’s next generation of DAPs (maybe I’ll use a case with that one, haha). It should be noted, I’ve dropped the Sony ZX507 many times with little damage, and the build (with no glass on the back) is just so robust. And the 507, like everyone says, is sooooo pocketable. I love it for throwing in my pocket with some Sony IEMs (synergy with M9 and Z1R is just awesome). Agree’d that battery on 507 sucks (even with @Sonywalkmanuser tweaks, but the tweaks help, so thanks bro).

Now I just hope Sony can deliver a product as good as the 507 again someday, in sound quality and form factor, but with better battery life. The A306 and ZX507 didn’t cut it for me. For the money the 1AM2 and Z versions are not worth it and are too big in my opinion.

Cheers fellow 507 users.
Can you tell how many hours (approx.) did the battery last after applying the tweaks?
Only when listening from local files.
Thanks!

Feb 14, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #8,621 of 8,639
I tried applying the tweaks, it every time I do something starts to break.

Google play service stopping alerts keep popping up, and other bizarre issues. I want to try again but I don’t know why I’m having such bad luck with it.

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:49 AM Post #8,622 of 8,639
i am also a zx507 owner who likes it for form factor and sound. The battery life is not as bad as some complaints may suggest. Its sufficient for short flights.

Also own an AK kann alpha which is more bulky and uncomfortable to carry in my pocket. Sound wise the Kann alpha is cleaner while zx507 has sweeter mids.

Mar 9, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #8,623 of 8,639
One thing to note with Tidal, which I emailed them when my files kept corrupting is to download albums one album at a time and they won't corrupt.
Anyways, I wish I had known this so much earlier but whatever it's in the sub now if your having problems with Tidal Downloads offline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back