SONY NW-ZX500
Jan 11, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #8,597 of 8,639
Has anyone sent theirs to Sony to replace the battery? Is that a thing?
I had a battery replacement done by Sony for my ZX300 which I bought off eBay. But I did it through a certified repair center that Sony sent me the address of. (Funny story that’s how I got my ZX500, because they scratched the rear of the unit and offered me a free upgrade 😁)

I got that info by just talking to a Sony agent through their customer support website, the battery repair cost about $97 USD if I remember correctly.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #8,599 of 8,639
Hi, guys. I'm dealing with a problem with my zx505 and would really appreciate some help, if any of you has some clue of what I can try.

Yesterday I was out, doing some errands, and enjoying the 505+m9 combo. Every time I needed to interact with someone I would simply press pause, without ever taking the dap out of my pocket (love the physical buttons).

At a certain point, I pressed paused and nothing happened. Twice, three times... same thing. Had to disconnect the headphone (I had lots of things with me).

To make the story short, at home I realized 3 of the physical buttons stoped working (play, previous and next track). Volume and power buttons work jut fine. I tried locking, unlocking, restarting, hard restarting (long press), turning it off, charging it and nothing worked. The three buttons are still unresponsive.

Has it ever happened to any of you? How did you handle it? I'd hate having to use ti without those buttons. They're one of the reasons I got it in the first place, and they do help A LOT. Much better than try to hit the little UI buttons (I usually end firing another song or pressing some other function I didn't intend).

Thanks!

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #8,600 of 8,639
Hi, guys. I'm dealing with a problem with my zx505 and would really appreciate some help, if any of you has some clue of what I can try.

Yesterday I was out, doing some errands, and enjoying the 505+m9 combo. Every time I needed to interact with someone I would simply press pause, without ever taking the dap out of my pocket (love the physical buttons).

At a certain point, I pressed paused and nothing happened. Twice, three times... same thing. Had to disconnect the headphone (I had lots of things with me).

To make the story short, at home I realized 3 of the physical buttons stoped working (play, previous and next track). Volume and power buttons work jut fine. I tried locking, unlocking, restarting, hard restarting (long press), turning it off, charging it and nothing worked. The three buttons are still unresponsive.

Has it ever happened to any of you? How did you handle it? I'd hate having to use ti without those buttons. They're one of the reasons I got it in the first place, and they do help A LOT. Much better than try to hit the little UI buttons (I usually end firing another song or pressing some other function I didn't intend).

Thanks!
Did you try turn on off the switch?

Jan 13, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #8,602 of 8,639
Did you try turn on off the switch?
Yeah, first thing I did. And it seems to be working as intended. When turn HOLD on, I can't use the volume buttons (the others either, and that's the expected).

When I turn HOLD off, volume buttons go back to working normally. But nothing with other 3.

Yeah there’s a lock switch on the device that toggles up and down.
Tried that as mentioned above. With no luck.

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #8,604 of 8,639
I normally run off of apple music, but Ill try that see if it improves battery life.
Any Android based music player is gonna eat through battery. Android system itself is very battery hungry.

Feb 1, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #8,605 of 8,639
This might be a stupid question but what would be a comparable upgrade from this DAP? The battery life is so terrible and the Android OS is so old and slow. But I really love how it sounds. Ideally I would love something portable for my commute to work. I just don't want to lose any sound quality. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Feb 1, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #8,606 of 8,639
This might be a stupid question but what would be a comparable upgrade from this DAP? The battery life is so terrible and the Android OS is so old and slow. But I really love how it sounds. Ideally I would love something portable for my commute to work. I just don't want to lose any sound quality. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Based on formfactor, probably the Hiby M300? The 507 is unique in that it's pocketable. There's always the replacement dap from Sony, which is the NW-ZX707, but it's quite a bit larger.

Feb 1, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #8,607 of 8,639
Based on formfactor, probably the Hiby M300? The 507 is unique in that it's pocketable. There's always the replacement dap from Sony, which is the NW-ZX707, but it's quite a bit larger.
Thanks. This is the second time the Hiby M300 has been mentioned to me so I should probably take a closer look at it. I very much appreciate the recommendation!

Feb 1, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #8,608 of 8,639
Thanks. This is the second time the Hiby M300 has been mentioned to me so I should probably take a closer look at it. I very much appreciate the recommendation!
Sony also just released a small pocketable dap that’s comparable to the M300, the NW-A306. I heard the battery life is great and it’s pretty snappy because it has a newer processor and android 13.

Feb 5, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #8,610 of 8,639
Look, I get the drive for change, I really do… but here are my 2 cents.

For my brain and ears, the ZX507 is better than the Cayin RU7 which has been heralded as an excellent dongle…
It has better synergy with headphones such as the power-hungry Sennheiser HD660S2 than my RU7, despite having half the power…
It's also faster than my WM1AM2…
And you already have one :wink:

Again, I do get the drive for change, I really, really, do — but every time I do the DAP merry go round, I land back on Sony… so, my advise, if you move on from the ZX507, get the ZX707, WM1AM2 or WM1ZM2. But, if, like me, you didn't get the ZX707 due to it's form factor because, let's be honest, the ZX300/507 form-factor is just 🥰 — keep your ZX507.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back