SONY NW-ZX500
Nov 11, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #8,566 of 8,639
I’m just catching up on this latest development, wow, fantastic work guys!

Has anyone confirmed if the A100 volume limit is in fact removed through region change?

100% percent it is, I checked a firmware dump and I could clearly see that the volume limit works the same as it does on non-Android players, so changing the region is the main/simplest way to get rid of the volume limit.

Nov 11, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #8,567 of 8,639
100% percent it is, I checked a firmware dump and I could clearly see that the volume limit works the same as it does on non-Android players, so changing the region is the main/simplest way to get rid of the volume limit.
Amazing, thanks! I know what my next job is!

Nov 11, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #8,568 of 8,639
@MrWalkman That worked well, easy enough to do and it’s certainly had a positive impact on output power. More listening required to appreciate.

Now we have unlocked these devices do you have any plans to bring your magic to them? Appreciate being android brings different challenges but looks like this has opened the door to possibilities

Nov 16, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #8,572 of 8,639
I’m trying to connect my zx507 to a Chord Mojo 2 and play Tidal. I can’t get it to output any sound when I play Tidal or even Spotify however when I play music from Sony Music Player it outputs fine to Mojo 2. What am I doing wrong?

Nov 16, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #8,573 of 8,639
I’m trying to connect my zx507 to a Chord Mojo 2 and play Tidal. I can’t get it to output any sound when I play Tidal or even Spotify however when I play music from Sony Music Player it outputs fine to Mojo 2. What am I doing wrong?

Make sure you fully close the Sony Music Player so that it releases the USB exclusive access.

Nov 16, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #8,574 of 8,639
hey guys! i need some advice, hope you can lead me right. im gonna sell my sony nw a55 and buy a newer one, but i cant really make up my mind between the zx507 and the a306.
a306 is newer and has newer android, but i dont really use tidal or something like this, i only listen to my own music in my mini sd card and watch some live shows on youtube premium, so idont know how important would the new android system be for me, but on the other hand i dont know if the zx507 being a higher tier will deliver better sound to me. i use either a set of fearless audio s8f or a set of beyer dynamic 900pro x and both are very easily driven so no problem there. ill be buying a japanese zx507 from ebay or an american a306.
PLEASE HELP!

Nov 16, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #8,575 of 8,639
hey guys! i need some advice, hope you can lead me right. im gonna sell my sony nw a55 and buy a newer one, but i cant really make up my mind between the zx507 and the a306.
a306 is newer and has newer android, but i dont really use tidal or something like this, i only listen to my own music in my mini sd card and watch some live shows on youtube premium, so idont know how important would the new android system be for me, but on the other hand i dont know if the zx507 being a higher tier will deliver better sound to me. i use either a set of fearless audio s8f or a set of beyer dynamic 900pro x and both are very easily driven so no problem there. ill be buying a japanese zx507 from ebay or an american a306.
PLEASE HELP!
My biggest fear with the zx507 is that i wont mod it in any way cause i dont know anything about that, so it being old im not sure if it could be very used to the point of not sounding good or something like this, like does it last long? can i relly on this equipment being like 3 years older?

Nov 16, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #8,576 of 8,639
If you like watch videos , look dx170 … have a big display.

My biggest fear with the zx507 is that i wont mod it in any way cause i dont know anything about that, so it being old im not sure if it could be very used to the point of not sounding good or something like this, like does it last long? can i relly on this equipment being like 3 years older?

Nov 21, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #8,577 of 8,639
Quick question, that I hope somebody will take the time to answer. I used autoeq to set my settings for the eqalizer. What I'm wondering is what reference do I look for in jumping up or down because it may be off due to driver differences or preferences? And also what are tuning differences really? Also why do we shoot for that harman dude?

Dec 11, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #8,578 of 8,639
I have found out how to root the device and remove volume capping. The guide: https://github.com/notcbw/2019_android_walkman

It's not really for beginners though. You need some knowledge in using ADB and fastboot.
Sorry to bother but I am having major issues while trying to root my zx500

I followed the guide step by step and everything was fine until I flashed blank_vbmeta.img. After that the device does not enter recovery mode. It just bootloops two time ("Sony" flashing briefly) and then nothing. I've already tried to enter recovery mode using buttons and since apparently I can still access fastboot I tried to use uuu to reboot into recovery but to no avail.

Can someone help me please?

EDIT: Solved. Thanks again to @notcbw

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back