SONY NW-ZX500
Aug 4, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #7,546 of 8,639
Does anyone know of a more effective way to transfer files to the ZX507 on a Mac other than the Android File Transfer application? It crashes every time I use it, I go through a cycle of selecting 'file transfer' on the device, and get a 'can't access device storage' message, unplug and do it again, maybe 3rd time it will work - but then when I tranfer say to a sub-folder of music (I have folders for each genre), after transferring, I then have to go through the same process all over again of disconnecting etc. Pain in the behind!

Aug 4, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #7,547 of 8,639
Does anyone know of a more effective way to transfer files to the ZX507 on a Mac other than the Android File Transfer application? It crashes every time I use it, I go through a cycle of selecting 'file transfer' on the device, and get a 'can't access device storage' message, unplug and do it again, maybe 3rd time it will work - but then when I tranfer say to a sub-folder of music (I have folders for each genre), after transferring, I then have to go through the same process all over again of disconnecting etc. Pain in the behind!
When I had the ZX507, I took to using OpenMTP app on my Mac.

Aug 4, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #7,549 of 8,639
Scuba Devils said:

feverfive said:

When I had the ZX507, I took to using OpenMTP app on my Mac.

Here's an alternative solution as well. I've tried Android File Transfer (AFT) as well as OpenMTP and found both to be a little buggy, though OpenMTP is much better than AFT. I've given up on running an Android transfer app on my Mac Mini. Instead I'm using Cx File Explorer (free and no ads, google play download) on the ZX507 and enabled remote access login on the Mac Mini. Remote access login on the Mac enables SFTP file transfer. I'm using SFTP because Apple has screwed up SMB file sharing (again). I also have a small fanless Win10 media box with file sharing enabled and can connect with SMB to transfer files as well. Wifi transfer speed is very quick.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #7,550 of 8,639
Here's an alternative solution as well. I've tried Android File Transfer (AFT) as well as OpenMTP and found both to be a little buggy, though OpenMTP is much better than AFT. I've given up on running an Android transfer app on my Mac Mini. Instead I'm using Cx File Explorer (free and no ads, google play download) on the ZX507 and enabled remote access on the Mac Mini. Remote access on the Mac enables SFTP file transfer. I'm using SFTP because Apple has screwed up SMB file sharing (again). I also have a small fanless Win10 media box with file sharing enabled and can connect with SMB to transfer files as well. Wifi transfer speed is very quick.

Excellent, thank you - I will try that also. Been a nightmare with AFT!

Aug 5, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #7,551 of 8,639
I stick with removing the card and popping it in a usb c card reader, much faster transfer speeds that way too and no app needed

Aug 5, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #7,552 of 8,639
I stick with removing the card and popping it in a usb c card reader, much faster transfer speeds that way too and no app needed
It's a shame the newest MacBooks don't have a card slot (mine does), but USB card readers are cheap...

Aug 5, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #7,553 of 8,639
I've been using the app MacDroid for quite a while and it works fine as long as you don't try to transfer multiple albums (ten's to hundred's of files) at the same time. It creates a "buffer" for transfering files and if you are too impatient trying to transfer loads of files in one shot it doest not handle it correctly. This was a problem just the first time I transfered data on my card but since then I only buy one or two albums every once in a while so transfering them works very well without always have to remove the card from the 507.

Aug 5, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #7,554 of 8,639
I've been using the app MacDroid for quite a while and it works fine as long as you don't try to transfer multiple albums (ten's to hundred's of files) at the same time. It creates a "buffer" for transfering files and if you are too impatient trying to transfer loads of files in one shot it doest not handle it correctly. This was a problem just the first time I transfered data on my card but since then I only buy one or two albums every once in a while so transfering them works very well without always have to remove the card from the 507.
This question has arisen previously, and I recommended the Finder replacement Commander One. Android directories are accessible in exactly the same way as Mac directories.

Aug 5, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #7,555 of 8,639
It's a shame the newest MacBooks don't have a card slot (mine does), but USB card readers are cheap...
Indeed. I use an M1 MacBook Air, it’s got literally two thunderbolt ports and a 3.5mm…

Aug 6, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #7,557 of 8,639
Anyone has problem like me ? i just receive the new zx 507 today, when i turn it on for the first time, nothing happens so I have to plug in to my PC so start it ? is it ok for that ? tks so much
I think the battery is flat. Plugging it in the PC just gives it juice so it can start up because the USB ports are powered.

Aug 6, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #7,558 of 8,639
Excuse me if these questions have already been answered, but can you skip using Sony's music centre software to transfer files and just copy them to a folder on the SD card instead?

Also, will the NW-ZX500 recognise album artwork if I've tagged the files in a program like foobar2000 for example?

Any information would be much appreciated.
As far as I am aware you can just dump the songs into a folder on the sd card called music and the player automatically sees it.

Aug 6, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #7,559 of 8,639
Amazon Music is a buggy unusable pile of hot garbage on my ZX507.

Every time I try and view an album I get a message that reads “Content Not Found… Sorry, we find this content. You may not be eligible to access this content.” According to the $79 I paid for the year, I am absolutely eligible to access the content.

If I am lucky enough to select a song without getting the message, the play icon just loads and loads and never starts.

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the app multiple times, I still have the same issues. Ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back